Chapter 8: The Wormwrithings

load previous
Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm
"But should their reach span across the realm," says Hunter, "we will be forced to fight. May we seek your guidance and wisdom on how to combat the daemonic threat?"
Mar 13, 2019 7:56 pm
"The only way you'll gain my guidance and wisdom is if I make you one of my slaves," the beholder says, his patience evidently wearing thin, "I have already granted you safe passage, which is more than I usually give. If you don't have anything of worth to me, I give you one last chance to leave."
Mar 14, 2019 6:22 pm
Hunter nods. She looks to her companions and says, "This is where we split up." Her eyes glare into each person, giving a slight head tilt to signal her double-speak.

"Return to the tunnel, and make your plans to attack our targets without me. I will remain here as tribute; I do not think I can help you later, but hopefully our fortunes will turn."
Mar 14, 2019 10:40 pm
Melpomene lowers her hood and steps forward. With an readable glance at Hunter, she says, "Flight is not an option for all. Please, my lord, let us shelter under your glorious shadow. We have many gifts to offer for your protection." As she continues to walk toward him she begins to play and sing a song about an ancient beholder, mighty and strong, who protected those that worshiped him from the tides of darkness.
Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am
The beholder growls, "Then you shall be my slaves!" it shouts and the whole chamber trembles ominously. One of its eyes fires a beam of radiant energy and part of the platform beneath your feet is destroyed.
OOC:
Everyone, make a DC 16 Dex save or fall into the chasm!
Mar 16, 2019 12:12 am
Hunter gasps as the walkway is destroyed, flailing her arms in a desperate attempt to latch onto something.

Rolls

Dexterity Save! - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Mar 16, 2019 12:25 am
OOC:
Be aware that you can't see the bottom of this chasm, so it's going to hurt a LOT if you fall in. I suggest using inspiration or anything else to assist with passing the save.

Rolls

Sarith Dex Save - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Elayna Save - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Mar 16, 2019 12:52 am
Hunter fails to grab onto anything to prevent her fall, but manages to catch onto Elayna's arm. As they plummet into the darkness, only the half-elf can see their surroundings blurring past.

"Elayna! Listen to me!" Hunter yells out as she pulls the young woman closer, trying to ignore the whistling air past her ears. "Focus on my voice! I am going to cast a spell on you, but you need to relax. You're going to feel very weird, but no matter what you feel, you need to relax! Okay?"

Without waiting for confirmation, Hunter focuses her attention to the rapidly-encroaching ground. A glyph of banishment appears in front of her body, and with her free hand she taps a symbol to slightly alter the shape. Hunter slams her open palm into the glyph, causing it to expand into a circular gate that grows to become larger than both Elayna and herself. Timing the spell before they hit the bottom, Hunter opens the Banishment gate at the last-second to send the pair into a harmless demiplane.
[ +- ] Banishment at 5th level
The gate flashes with lightning that crackles about its edge, exploding along the ground and bounding up the chasm walls with blinding heat.
Last edited March 16, 2019 12:56 am

Rolls

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Wild Magic Surge! - (1d100)

(66) = 66

Mar 16, 2019 1:00 am
As Hunter's spell goes off, there's a massive surge of power and...
OOC:
Up to three creatures you choose within 30 feet of you take 4d10 lightning damage.

Go ahead and use it on anyone in the chasm
Mar 16, 2019 3:08 am
Perhaps warped by such proximity to the magic infesting the Underdark, Hunter's uncontrolled surge of power crackles into the beholder and the robed bald minion.

Rolls

Ride the Lightning - (4d10)

(610103) = 29

Mar 16, 2019 6:58 am
Mai'ngor almost makes it. He catches himself on the edge when the ground explodes, but then his handhold crumbles away, and all of a sudden he is falling.
Last edited March 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Rolls

DEX save (Remarkable Athlete) - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Initiative? - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Indomitable reroll - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Lucky reroll - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Mar 17, 2019 2:17 pm
It's a long way down, qith the bottom shrouded in darkness. Mai'ngor seems to fall forever. When he hits bottom, he's surprised he's still alive.
OOC:
Rolled 20d6 = 71 damage on Discord.

HP: 21/92
AC: 18
Conditions: 
War Dance slots: 0/2
Action Surge: 0/1
Second Wind: 1/1
Minor Illusion: 1/1
Longstrider: 0/1
Misty Step: 0/1
Luck points: 0/3
Indomitable: 0/1
Last edited March 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Mar 18, 2019 4:19 am
Xeliss attempts to shift into an elemental form as she feels the ground shift beneath her feet.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Mar 18, 2019 2:35 pm
As the walkway disappears, Sarith and Xeliss manage to dive back along the path and stop themselves from falling.

Hunter grabs hold of Elayna as they fall together and manages, just before they hit the ground, to send the both of them into a safe pocket dimension.

Mai'ngor and Melpomene have no way to slow their descent and fall over 500 feet to the bottom of the chasm, both of them landing with a sickening thud.

Trapped alone with just Xeliss against a formidable beholder, Sarith looks left and right and then grabs Xeliss, says "Trust me" and attempts to pull her off the edge of the walkway along with him.
OOC:
Xeliss, do you resist Sarith's attempt to pull you down?
Mar 18, 2019 9:42 pm
Melpomene whips out arms, legs and tail trying to gain purchase on the crumbling ledge.

Rolls

dex save - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Mar 18, 2019 9:44 pm
OOC:
If I'm still allowed to try and save myself...else Melpomene is down.
She screams and falls, desperately singing out a spell.
OOC:
Casting Bigby's Hand to catch herself and anyone else she can.
Mar 19, 2019 5:29 pm
As Melpomene falls, she manages to catch herself and Mai'ngor with her spell just before she hits the ground. They are hurt by the impact with the hand, but it manages to lessen the impact significantly.
OOC:
Melpo: You'll still take 11 points of damage from the fall, but you should be fine :)

Xeliss: Are you resisting Sarith or are you going to go tumbling into the chasm with him as he asked you to?
Mar 19, 2019 6:40 pm
Mai'ngor realizes the reason he isn't dead is because the long fall happened mostly in his head. He finds himself on a floating, magical hand with Melpomene. The horse-headed fey tosses his mane to shake off the vertigo. "Thank you. Are you...alright?" he reaches down to help her to her feet.
Mar 20, 2019 11:44 am
"Surprisingly well, all considered. Do you see the others?"
Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am
"Not from down here.* Can your magical hand lift us up?"
OOC:
*Unless Sarith and Xeliss are on their way down.
load next

Thread locked