Chapter 8: The Wormwrithings

load previous
Feb 20, 2019 4:24 pm
Hunter gives a polite wave, waiting to see if the other drow depart before turning to their own destination of the Vast Oblivium.
Feb 22, 2019 3:14 pm
The other drow emerge from their side passage after a brief conversation with Hanne. The apparent leader sends a message to Hunter rather than speak aloud, "We have more eggs to collect," says an older drow with a striking resemblance to Hanne; likely an older sister or her mother.
Feb 22, 2019 3:40 pm
Good luck, comes Hunter's reply. She lowers her hand and nods to Mai'ngor and Sarith to lead the way out.
Feb 23, 2019 5:10 am
Sarith turns to Mai'ngor, "I will go ahead to keep an eye out," he says, then asks, "Would you like to lead the others with your sword?"
Feb 26, 2019 3:02 am
"Come on, let's keep moving then." Back on the shoulders of her golem, Xeliss marches onward.
Feb 26, 2019 5:28 am
Mai'ngor pushes onward, Sinag held aloft.
Feb 26, 2019 2:40 pm
You continue through the tunnels with Sarith as your guide. After several miles, you begin to feel as though you're being watched and several times you think you see eyes in the darkness, but they're gone when you try to focus on them. Eventually, as you approach a corner, Sarith comes back to the group, "A huge chasm around the corner with manufactured bridges running across it," he reports, "I think we might've found the place..."
Feb 28, 2019 7:00 pm
"I wouldn't have thought that beholders would need bridges," says Hunter. "What could they be for?"
Feb 28, 2019 7:17 pm
Before anyone can answer, you hear footsteps on the bridge and see a figure approaching through the darkness, "What brings you to the realm of Karazikar?" a smooth voice asks.
Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm
Put on the spot, Hunter tries to make the best out of the obvious non-hostile confrontation. "Er, we seek an audience with the great and terrible Karazikar," she says. "No doubt you are aware of the incursion within these lands. We bring news and an offer of assistance."

Rolls

Deception? - (1d20+9)

(7) + 9 = 16

Mar 1, 2019 3:19 pm
The figure takes a few steps forward and you see a bald man in fine robes. His head is covered in tattoos of eyeballs and his staff is topped with a large eyeball as well. He nods, "Of course," he says, "Please follow me."
Mar 4, 2019 5:39 pm
As you begin to follow, a large spherical creature descends from above and stops about 30 feet out from the walkway. It has a massive eyeball in the center of its body and a number of writing eye-stalks covering its head. As it looks at you, you can tell that you're in an area of anti-magic and none of your magic will work unless it looks away.

It opens its mouth to reveal large fang-like teeth, "You have entered the lair of Karazikar and I am he. For what reason have you come into my domain?" it says, each eye-stalk looking at a separate member of your group.
Mar 4, 2019 6:48 pm
Hunter stalls, mind racing on her effectiveness in an area devoid of magic. "We have traveled through the Underdark," she begins, "and have encountered many strange beasts and beings. And in our travels, we have encountered something new. Demons, freed from the Abyss by powers unknown, run rampant in these caverns. Truly while we are capable of defending ourselves from the odd fiend, this is something akin to an invasion of this plane. We have even seen the powerful Demon Lords trespass this realm.

"Though your gaze spans all, great and terrible Karazikar, we bring you this warning so that you might defend against this Abyssal threat. We also seek to end this threat, and hope that your ineffable wisdom and sight has the solution to defeat the demons."

To the party, it's pretty obvious that Hunter is trying to buy time so that others might prepare their actions.
Mar 5, 2019 9:10 pm
OOC:
I'll allow a moment to see if the others want to react in some way
Mar 7, 2019 4:31 am
Xeliss steps as far away from Hunter as she can, trying to find another path that could be used to hide from the creature. The strange buzz of the place is unsettling.
Mar 7, 2019 8:25 am
OOC:
*Glowering distrustâ„¢*
Mar 7, 2019 9:48 pm
As Xeliss looks about, she feels very uneasy. You are on a walkway across an open chasm that goes down beyond sight. There are no rails, but there are several other walkways that cross the chasm at different heights throughout.
Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Karazikar eyes Hunter warily for a moment and then, seemingly satisfied by what he say, speaks, "I am already aware of this incursion, so your warning was unneeded of course," he says, "As payment for your trouble, though, I shall let you leave my domain unharmed in whichever direction you would like."

He doesn't acknowledge Hunter's statement about ending the threat.
Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Hunter tries to steel her nerves, whispering to her companions with a hiss, "I can't do anything while he's looking at me!"

She clears her throat. "Benificent Karazikar, we are gracious and humbled by your leniency," she says, trying to buy more time. "I ask your forgiveness in my bold question of how we might combat the demon lords, as this frail self pales in comparison to the power of your terrible gaze."
Mar 12, 2019 3:48 pm
"For those as weak as you," the beholder says with some amusement, "You should flee. Run as far as you can as long as you can."
load next

Thread locked