1.2 Descent to the Sewers

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 12, 2015 3:47 am
Slink takes the orphans to the sewer entrance where he saw Milly's kidnappers descend. The shaft is located in the northwest corner of an alleyway that opens off Golden Serpent Street and Nindabar street, just east of Mhalsymber's Way. Those with any sense of direction realize that the shaft is directly east of The Market, and they exit the hustle and bustle of the commercial Castle Ward and enter North Ward, a place you don't commonly frequent, because this is where many nobles live.

The streets are relatively quiet, but a group of orphans certainly attract some curious, or even suspicious looks. Slink confidently strides along as though he belongs there, and slides into the alley off Golden Serpent Street. He gestures for the group to follow him quickly.

(Roll stealth.)
Oct 12, 2015 3:56 am
I follow quickly behind Slink, not paying any attention to any curious onlookers.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Oct 12, 2015 4:46 am
Rufio swaggers along, right behind Slink and Alanya.
Last edited October 12, 2015 4:47 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Oct 12, 2015 5:19 am
Weylan attempts to move quietly, without attracting undue attention, mimicking Slink's careless grace.
Last edited October 12, 2015 5:20 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Oct 12, 2015 5:48 am
Elden attempts to be sneaky, though it's difficult in his armor

Rolls

Stealth [disadvantage] - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (9) = 9

1d20 : (19) = 19

Oct 12, 2015 6:17 am
Seneia slips easily into her old habits, fading into the alley and shadows.
Last edited October 12, 2015 6:18 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Oct 12, 2015 1:47 pm
Semaj looks around and finds little items to help him looks more "natural" and fitting in.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Oct 12, 2015 5:33 pm
Feylinde follows the other attempting not to make much noise.

Rolls

Stealth check - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Oct 12, 2015 11:39 pm
After the others have entered Szent will take position as rear guard. Hammer in hand he keeps a bit of distance between himself and Feylinde but not enough to get left behind.

Rolls

Stealth [+2] Disadvantage - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

1d20+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Oct 13, 2015 2:42 am
As Slink slides into the alley the suddenness of his maneuver takes many of the orphans by surprise. Alanya is focused on the rogue and sticks to his heels, but Rufio's eyes are turned by a well dressed young lass walking her dog. The momentary distraction causes Feylinde to accidentally walk into Rufio. The embarrassing collision causes both to stop and Szent bundles into both of them.

The fiasco is enough to cause the lass to look over at the three of them wondering what they are doing. She calls out, "Are you OK?"

Meanwhile the rest of the party successfully disappear into the alley leaving Rufio, Feylinde and Szent blinking at the young lass.

Slink is standing at the end of the alley waiting for the party to arrive. Seeing only five of them, he asks, "Lost some already? This doesn't bode well."

(Rufio, Feylinde and Szent roll persuasion to converse with lass; roll perception if in alley)

Rolls

Secret roll

Secret roll

Oct 13, 2015 2:50 am
In unfamiliar territory, Elden keeps his eyes peeled for any danger or anything at all unusual.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Oct 13, 2015 2:52 am
Not wanting to get left behind Szent answer the young women quickly but politely. "We're fine, thanks!"

Whispering to the others - "We really should get moving, we don't want to be left behind."

Rolls

Persuasion [+4] - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Oct 13, 2015 4:38 am
Weylan peers about him in the dim light, wanting to trust Slink.

Rolls

Perception (WIS mod + prof bonus) - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Oct 13, 2015 4:40 am
"The rest are right behind us. They'll be here soon enough."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Oct 13, 2015 9:05 am
Rufio tears his eyes away from the pretty young lass and ducks into the alleyway.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Oct 13, 2015 2:00 pm
"Nothing to get worried about ma'am. We're just joking" said Feylinde with a smile passing by and moving along to reach the others.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Oct 14, 2015 3:41 am
Szent instantly responds to the lasses' question with a courtesy only Paladins can muster. "We're fine thanks." The girl seems convinced, but blushes slightly, clearly taken by Szent's charisma. Feylinde interjects with her just joking around comment and the girl smiles. "Well, it was funny. But I must be on my way." She gives a slight curtsy to Szent, making sure to catch his eye, then murmurs something to her dog before walking away.

Everyone enters the alley, and Elden notices a grate located just behind Slink's feet. The rogue traces Elden's gaze and nods. "Yes, this is the way into the sewers, but we had better hurry, before anyone else sees us." He pulls on one edge of the grate, and it levers up effortlessly, rotating around its hinge. "There's a ladder that descends, but take care, it can be slippy from rain and moss."

(If you descend on ladder roll athletics check to grip ladder while descending. Or acrobatics to avoid feet slipping on the rungs). Only one roll, your choice.
Oct 14, 2015 4:15 am
I descend as quickly as I can, paying careful attention to my foot placement on the ladder as I do. "This isn't as bad as I thought it would be!"

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Oct 14, 2015 4:23 am
Elden follows down the ladder, making sure to keep a good grip on the rungs.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Oct 14, 2015 5:00 am
Without even stopping to think, Seneia ignores the ladder and drops herself into the sewers.

Rolls

Acrobatics (skill +4) - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Oct 14, 2015 5:12 am
Weylan admires Seneia's grace, and considers dropping after her. But then he imagines landing on top of her head, or even worse, knocking Elden or Alanya off of the ladder on the way down, and he thinks better of the idea. Instead, he grimly grips the edge of the hole and backs down the ladder, going hand over hand down the rungs like a normal teen afraid of embarrassing himself in front of his peers. His hands are sweaty with anxiety at the thought of looking foolish to them...
Last edited October 14, 2015 5:13 am

Rolls

Athletics (STR mod) - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 14, 2015 6:27 am
Rufio swings himself onto the ladder and clambers down.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Oct 14, 2015 9:45 pm
Feylinde stands by a moment to take as much fresh air as she could, before entering the stinky place, moving carefully every step down the ladder.

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Oct 14, 2015 10:11 pm
Following the others Szent secures his equipment before making his way down the ladder. "I hate sewers."

Rolls

Athletics [+5] - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Oct 15, 2015 3:47 am
The orphans are somewhat relieved that there is a ladder, that will certainly help make the descent easier. First to volunteer is Alanya, and the bard is thinking this is easy, when suddenly her foot slips on a mossy rung, but she just manages to balance her weight before falling, but then her other foot slips and then the jog releases her hands... Elden has no such trouble, and grips the rungs tightly, descending easily. Overly confident, Seneia leaps into the hole, a foolish action to some who can't see the bottom of the hole, and uncertain of how far it descends. But Seneia can see the hole is only 29' deep, and she lands like an expert gymnast. Her controlled descent overtakes Alanya's clumsy tangle with the ladder. However, Weylan must have been distracted by Seneia's crazy leap of faith, and as he reaches for a rung he misses it completely, grasping thin air. The lack of support twists his body, and a foot slips too. Suddenly he finds himself falling...

Rufio, Feylinde, Szent and Samej are descending too, but can do nothing to help poor Weylan.

(Weylan and Alanya roll acrobatics to avoid landing awkwardly. Seneia and Elden can roll athletics to try to slow their fall. Seneia can only assist Alanya, Elden can only assist Weylan. That' s right, DC 5)

Rolls

Acrobatics roll for Samej - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Oct 15, 2015 4:32 am
Seeing Weylan's fall Elden tries desperately to catch him.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Oct 15, 2015 4:38 am
"Whoops! Aaah!" I flail my arms and attempt to get my feet under me as I slip off the ladder.

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Oct 15, 2015 6:05 am
"Steady now", Seneia exclaims as she reaches to make sure Alanya lands safely. "There you go."

OOC: That should be 1d20+0, not 1d20+4. Thank you, browser auto-fill.
Last edited October 15, 2015 6:06 am

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Oct 15, 2015 7:34 am
*Oh no!*
Weylan groans as he plummets, mortified that he's falling in front of his friends...especially the girls.

Rolls

Acrobatics to land safely - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Oct 15, 2015 12:40 pm
Well, the orphans first adventure hasn't started too well. Alanya performs an amazingly agile twist as she falls, and land safely in the arms of Seneia, who reacts quickly at the bottom of the hole, and also has the presence of mind to step aside from the imminently arriving Weylan.

Weylan's woes continue as his attempts to right himself are interfered with by Elden's desperate grab. Elden fails to hold Weylan but does manage to slow his descent. Weylan lands unceremoniously on his back, at the feet of Seneia and meets the shocked expression of Alanya who is nested safely in Seneia's arms. (Weylan takes damage below).

The location has four exits. The two largest head SW and S and are 20' wide, with. 3' walkway each side. The 14' wide channels are partially full of dark water perhaps 3' deep. The other two exits are 12' wide with just one 3' walkway and head N and E.

Rolls

Weylan fall damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Oct 15, 2015 1:47 pm
Seneia smiles to Alanya and pats her gently on the shoulder as she lets her go. Then she looks around and scratches the tip of one of her horns, as she has a habit of doing when facing choices.

"So-- do we have any idea which way from here?"
Oct 15, 2015 4:54 pm
I grab Weyland's arm and help him up. "Hmmm, we could use more light in here." I attempt to look around and figure out our next move.
Last edited October 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm
Weylan is mortified that he literally fell at Alanya's feet...physical damage can heal, but shame damage lasts forever. He is absurdly grateful that she would deign to help him up and he stutters with awkwardness...
"I...Uh...Ala...uh...th-thank you!"
He thinks that he'll never wash his hand again...and then realizes he's in the sewer and knows it's not true. But the memory of the musician's touch...! That will keep him warm in dark days to come.

(OOC question: did the ladder come down into the channel, or on one of the walkways?)

Weylan also tries to peer around, to see if there are any signs of passage, or any other clues as to which way they should go. If he sees none, he'll randomly choose a direction and head that way (the roll says South). Action is his way of covering embarrassment. Of course, if he sees a clue he'll stop and point it out to the others instead.
Last edited October 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Rolls

Perception (WIS + proficiency) - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Choosing a random direction (SW, S, N, E) - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Oct 15, 2015 9:34 pm
"Disgusting!" says Feylinde looking at the dark water and covering her nose with an hand.
"We should check those walkways guys. I doubt anyone in his mind would swim its way through that."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 15, 2015 9:51 pm
Hearing Alanya mention the need for light Szent will take a torch from his pack and light it up. He'll then move to the entrance of the east tunnel and take a look.

Rolls

Perception [+1] - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Oct 16, 2015 2:37 am
The area the party is in is the convergence of four passages. To accommodate the intersection it is a 30' diameter circle. On the perimeter of the circle is 5' wide walkway. Each channel joins at this location, so to walk around the perimeter would require jumping or wading the channels. The ladder descends to the SE "corner" of the circle. From here you can head south or east without jumping a channel.

The place is a bit whiffy but not overwhelmingly so. It is dark, so those without dark vision will need a light source. Szent lights his torch and lo, there was light. He peers down the east passage with the aid of his torch. This is a minor passage way, and his uncannily astute perception (nice roll) notices that the walkways here are grimy and slimed with heaven only knows what it is. Despite really not wanting to go that way, he realizes in a flash of inspiration (yes, please take an inspiration point) that this direction really cannot have been travelled anytime recently. Alanya is temporarily dazzled by the suddenly light, and she fails to notice anything as she peers around (she's on a lucky roll!!). Weylan fixates on the southern passage, and points in that direction. Without offering any reason, he points and says, "I think we should go this way." Seneia isn't sure which way to go. Feylinde is not impressed and covers her nose, an action that apparently blocked her eyes too.

You may roll survival to find a lead, perception at higher difficulty, or accept Weylan's leadership and head south.
Oct 16, 2015 2:44 am
"Ok, maybe a little less light next time!" I blink as my eyes adjust to the sudden brightness. "That way? Are you sure?" I skeptically look towards the southern passage as I try to find any other passage that may have recently been traversed.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Oct 16, 2015 2:54 am
Elden will pull out his mace and cast a spell of Light on it, "That's better!" He waits for his eyes to adjust to the light and takes a quick look around for anything of interest or any clues as tof what way the Slave Traders must have gone when they took Milly.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Oct 16, 2015 3:02 am
"It doesn't appear that anyone has traveled in this direction in quite some time." Szent motions back towards the eastern tunnel as he rejoins the others. "Are you sure the southern tunnel is the right way to go Weylan? I don't want to be in the sewers any longer than necessary."

*There has to be a clue around here.*

Rolls

Survival [+1] - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Oct 16, 2015 4:22 am
Weylan nods, relieved.
"Well, if they didn't go that way, they either went south, or went wading." He pauses for a moment to let that sink in. "I think south makes more sense."

While the group considers, he pulls out another torch and uses Szent's to light it. Then, with the lit torch in one hand, Weylan holds one of his "spikers" (a javelin) in the other hand, ready to go.
Last edited October 16, 2015 7:33 am

Rolls

Survival (WIS + proficiency) - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Oct 16, 2015 6:56 am
"South does sound much better than wading", Seneia says and looks ready to head that way. "I think it's only wide enough for one. Who wants to take the lead? Elden, perhaps? You have that light."
Oct 16, 2015 8:50 am
Rufio hisses, "Well, c'mon then, what're we waiting for? I'll lead if nobody will!" Always the impulsive hothead, the young brawler moves forward into the dark, trying not to slip on the walkway. A few yards in he pauses to light one of his own torches before moving on.
Last edited October 17, 2015 2:47 am

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Acrobatics (to not slip in the dark) - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Perception (disadvantage?) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

Oct 16, 2015 10:04 pm
"If you haven't any clue, I trust Waylan's intuition" said Feylinde really unable to find any track.
*This place is really not for me* she thought while still tring to get used to the scent.
Oct 17, 2015 5:16 am
The unanimous decision is to head south. Weylan's logic that the path of least resistance is the most likely is supported by the groups observations of recent scuffs on the walkway surface that indicates that one or more people passed that way recently.

Please clarify your marching order.
Oct 17, 2015 6:26 am
Rufio, completely lacking in patience as always, has taken point. If the group wishes to replace him with someone with keener senses then it won't be difficult to persuade him to fall back.
Last edited October 17, 2015 6:27 am
Oct 17, 2015 3:15 pm
Weylan is surprised when Rufio bulls past him, but he follows right after him until the larger kid turns around and uses Weylan's torch to light his own. Then Rufio turns back and Weylan continues to follow him.
"Let's get Milly!" Weylan declares, the sound echoing dully as all their conversation has down here.
Oct 17, 2015 4:16 pm
Szent will take his normal position as rear-guard for the group. "I'll keep watch behind us, just don't leave me behind."
Oct 17, 2015 4:18 pm
I follow close behind Weylan. "Shh- Keep it down in case there's anyone else down here!"
Oct 17, 2015 4:26 pm
Seneia slips in after Alanya, her eyes darting here and there through the darkness.

OOC: I just remembered that I have Darkvision to 60 feet.
Oct 17, 2015 4:53 pm
Elden takes his place behind Seneia so he can offer healing and support if it becomes necessary.
Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm
Feylinde follows Elden's steps, sometime watching on the opposite side of the walkway.
Oct 18, 2015 2:58 am
The marching order Is: Rufio, Weylan, Alanya, Seneia, Elden, Feylinde, Szent

Descending into the sewer Samej looks uncomfortable. As the marching order forms he says to the rear marker, Szent, "I'm sorry, I can't do this. Forests are my calling, not sewers. I'm going to return to the orphanage and let Roland know what's happening. I really hope you find Milly." With that he climbs the ladder to the exit...

Meanwhile, Rufio leads the group onwards with his torch glaring.

Now you have a marching order, the tunnel ahead looks straight, with 3' walkways each side. Your walkway is on the left side.

Please discuss your plan. How do you proceed?
Oct 18, 2015 7:05 am
"Do we know whether they're still in the sewers? They might not be. Let's move quickly, but quietly, then pause to check for more clues at each intersection."
Oct 18, 2015 7:40 am
"I agree that we should hurry. I'm not sure being quiet helps much. Surely they'll see the light of our torches, if they are still down here?"

Seneia raises her hand to block the light of the torch. "Of course, I could go a bit ahead of everyone. I can move silently and see in the dark, so perhaps I could pick something up before we alert anyone to our presense."

She stops for couple second and looks at the sewer flowing next to them. "Although-- does anyone know if there is anything living down here?"

OOC: Can I somehow roll for if I've learned something about the sewers and possible dangers in them in my urchin past?
Last edited October 18, 2015 9:47 am
Oct 18, 2015 9:40 am
Rufio pauses. "I think Seneia scouting ahead would be a good idea. And we can use both walkways. I wouldn't mind wading either. I've spent more time in the sewers than you might imagine!" The young ruffian grins, quite at home in the worst parts of the city.

OOC: Yeah, what would we roll for knowledge of the sewer, like how deep the water is in specific areas, and what one might expect to find in the water?
Last edited October 18, 2015 1:21 pm

Rolls

Nature - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Investigation - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Oct 18, 2015 12:17 pm
Types of things living in sewers would be Nature: Water Depth etc would be Investigation.
Oct 18, 2015 12:56 pm
Seneia's brow furrows as she tries to remember what she might have heard about the sewers when she was younger, but in vein. She might be capable at many things, but keeping things in her mind is not one of them.
Last edited October 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Rolls

Nature - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Oct 18, 2015 1:19 pm
OOC: Added Investigation and Nature rolls to my post above. Will delete this one eventually.
Oct 18, 2015 3:16 pm
"I agree with Seneia going ahead. About crossing those water to get on the other walkway don't count me in. I'll not do such a thing if it's not really necessary."
Oct 18, 2015 3:47 pm
"Very well, milady. You may pass..." Weylan steps aside as best he can to let the horned girl step past him. *So graceful AND she can see in the dark - is there anything Seneia can't do?* His sincere attempt to be gallant is so clumsy and rustic it probably comes across as mocking. "We'll keep back a bit behind you, but if you run into trouble, just call and we'll be there!" He grins at Rufio as she walks past. Weylan is glad to have Rufio as his friend; someone to look up to both figuratively and literally. Rufio always seems to take things in stride. Then he looks back at Feylinde, who is always so tidy. The thought of her wading in the muck is so unthinkable it makes him smile broadly. "I don't blame you, Feylinde - I wouldn't want to go in there, either!" Weylan gestures with his hand above his head suggesting the surface of the water, bugging his eyes and cheeks out like he's holding his breath, sinking (thankfully, Rufio's right next to him with a second torch, or the joke would have been lost in dancing shadows as the halfling waved his torch around).
Last edited October 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Rolls

Nature check on life in the sewers - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Oct 18, 2015 3:53 pm
Szent, careful to keep up with he group, will pause on occasion to look back over his shoulder and carefully listen to his surroundings.

Wow!
Last edited October 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Rolls

Nature - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Investigation - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Oct 18, 2015 6:35 pm
Rufio and Weylan ponder the risks of venturing in the sewers, particularly the types of creatures they may encounter. In the darkness and gloom it doesn't take much for their imagination to run wild. Rats, insects, spiders, worms are just some of the critters they imagine. Then they remember slimes, and oozes, and molds. And that's not to mention diseases, and poisons, and rogues, and druggies. Yes, there is no doubt the sewer is not a friendly place to be.

Seneia takes point, and moving a little ahead releases her vision from the glare of torches. Peering 60' into the darkness she can see the tunnel continues straight, and unobstructed. Rufio is about 20' behind her and he's examining the water surface by the light of his torch. Watching the silent flow, and various ripples and floating objects he figures the water is about 3' deep.

After traveling about 300' Seneia thinks the monotony of the sewer is changing in the distance. She raises a fist to signal a full stop.

Everyone, Perception rolls. Describe what you are doing.
Oct 18, 2015 7:38 pm
Weylan's imagination is running wild with the thought of all the creepy-crawlies that Seneia might run into, and he's on edge, trying to peer ahead in the gloom to see that she's OK.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Oct 18, 2015 8:23 pm
Seneia peers ahead through the darkness, trying to understand what she is seeing. At the same time she presses herself against the wall, trying to make sure she does not alert anyone. She creeps along slowly, but is careful not to get too close.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Oct 18, 2015 9:51 pm
Feylinde was still laughing at Waylan joke when the stop signal came ahead from Seneia. She became serious and draw is orb, ready to cast some spell if needed.

Rolls

Perception (disadvantage? beyond torch light - Darkvision) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

Oct 18, 2015 10:03 pm
Still playing rearguard Szent sees the others come to a halt. "Must of come across something of interest" he thinks to himself as he stops and peers back from where the group came.

Rolls

(14) + 1 = 15

Oct 18, 2015 10:05 pm
Elden peers ahead to see what caused Seneia to call for a halt.

OOCL Not sure if I need disadvantage due to the dim light
Last edited October 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Rolls

Perception [Disadvantage] - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

Oct 18, 2015 11:02 pm
Seneia pauses, and achieves perfect silence. She thought she saw something ahead but now she stops and concentrates she thinks she might be mistaken. It's those nearer the back who seem to get a better view, rather inexplicably. There's no doubt about it... There is something moving in the shadows ahead.
Oct 18, 2015 11:49 pm
"I wonder..."

Szent will use his Divine Sense ability to see if he can tell what is moving about ahead of the party.
Oct 19, 2015 3:19 am
Note to Szent.

All roll initiative.

Merlin sent a note to szemely
Oct 19, 2015 3:32 am
I peer forward and try to see whatever Szent is seeing. Maybe it's nothing! I keep quiet just in case.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Oct 19, 2015 3:59 am
Elden readies himself for whatever may come.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Oct 19, 2015 4:07 am
Weylan freaks out - he's on pins and needles, what with Seneia disappearing right after she signaled a halt, people acting like there's something nearby...he's liable to chuck a javelin at the slightest provocation.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Oct 19, 2015 4:59 am
Rufio was scanning the water's surface when he notices Seneia up ahead call for a halt. "What?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Oct 19, 2015 5:09 am
Seneia remains hiding in the shadows, still trying to figure out what the group is facing.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Oct 19, 2015 12:14 pm
*Something is lurking in the shadows. It'll not take me unprepared* Feylinde starts moving her fingers, calling the powers of her patron.

OOC: I use ready action, preparing to cast Eldritch blast if anything hostile pops up fron the darknes ahed.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Oct 19, 2015 9:56 pm
"Here we go..." Szent thinks as he grabs his hammer and readies his shield.

szemely sent a note to Merlin

Rolls

Initiative [+2] - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Oct 19, 2015 11:26 pm
Initiative order: Seneia Elden Alanya Szent Rats Weylan Feylinde Rufio

As you peer into the darkness you suddenly realize what the movement is. A giant rat is running towards Seneia along the walkway. Another giant rat is on the far walkway, with two more swimming towards the group.

Actions please, roll your dice.

Rolls

Rats 1-2-3-4 (attack, damage) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

1d20+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d20+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Oct 20, 2015 4:55 am
When the first rat reaches her, Seneia steps out of the darkness and spins to take two sweeping kicks at the rat. She fights silently, her hands drawn into open palm positions well-practiced in her kata, shoulders relaxed for speed, and eyes narrowed to focus on her target.

If the two attacks are enough to kill the beast, she'll draw backwards towards the others. If not, she'll stay engaged with it.
Last edited October 20, 2015 4:59 am

Rolls

Attacks (Flurry of Blows for free unarmed) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

Damage (if hit) - (1d4+2, 1d4+2)

1d4+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Oct 20, 2015 5:40 am
(OOC: If ten points aren't enough to kill a rat, then...well, let's just say that it'll be two games I'm playing in where the party is being slaughtered by giant rats!)
Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm
Elden pulls out his mace to prepare for melee and then calls to Lathander to smite the rat on the other walkway, calling down holy fire on it.

Casting Sacred Flame on the Rat. DC 13 Dex save or take 1d8 Damage

Rolls

Sacred Flame Damage - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Oct 20, 2015 5:32 pm
I aim for a spot behind the incoming rats, hoping to illuminate them in purple light so my friends can get rid of them quickly.

Ooc: casting Faerie Fire- Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can’t benefit from being invisible.
Last edited October 20, 2015 5:33 pm
Oct 20, 2015 9:45 pm
Szent will attempt to move up along the walkway and bash one of the swimming rats on the head.

OOC: Took the advantage from Alanya's Faerie Fire. If that's no good, just ignore the second roll.
Last edited October 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Rolls

Attack Roll [+5] - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

Damage [+3] - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Oct 22, 2015 7:18 pm
The rat attacking Seneia is the most obvious threat; if the unthinkable happens and it's somehow still alive after Seneia's monstrous hit on it, Weylan will direct his javelin at it. Otherwise, he's going to do some "spear fishing" and skewer the other swimming rat.

(Edit: ---FACEPALM---

Let me know if I should've rolled with ADV for the rats in the water, due to Alanya's Faerie Fire. I'm not sure which rats that affected.)

DM note - Yes you may have advantage.
Last edited October 22, 2015 9:44 pm

Rolls

Javelin attack - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Javelin damage on a hit - (1d6+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 22, 2015 9:24 pm
Feylinde releases the power blast she was holding on the second rat that she sees.

OOC: yep, i was waiting for rats and waylan action before posting mine. Just following initiative order.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast (ranged spell attack, 120 ft) (advantage???) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Force Damage - (1d10+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 22, 2015 10:27 pm
Round 1

Initiative order: Seneia Elden Alanya Szent Rats Weylan Feylinde Rufio

The rat numbers are left to right, Rat 1 on left walkway, 2 and 3 in water, 4 on right (far) walkway.

Seneia steps out of the shadows and completely surprises rat 1, planting two solid punches into its ribs. There is a sickening cracking sound as its ribs break and it slumps lifeless to the ground.

Elden summons a bolt of fire down on rat 4, and the rat squeals with pain.

Alanya casts a spell and the three active rats begin to glow with a fiery aura.

Szent steps up and notices Seneia's rat is dead. Without hesitating he swipes at the nearest rat in the water (rat 2), making a solid connection.

Rats 1,2 and 3 then attack, but the sudden onslaught from our heroes has completely shaken them, and they fail to connect with anyone.

Attempting to finish off rat 2 Weylan throws his javelin directly into the water. Covering for Weylan's error Feylinde completely blasts rat 2 out of the water.

Rufio decides to react...

Status: Rat 1 -dead; rat 2 - dead; rat 3 ok; rat 4 injured.

Rolls

Rat 4 dex save - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 23, 2015 12:00 am
Rufio leaps feet first at the rat in the water, kicking at its head.

Rolls

Kick (ADV from Faerie Fire?) - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

damage - (1d4+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

bonus grapple - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Oct 23, 2015 12:08 am
Again, Szent will take a quick look to determine which rat is the closest and take a swing with his hammer.

Rolls

Attack [+5] - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Damage [+3] - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Oct 23, 2015 2:07 am
End of Round 1

Rufio leaps into the water and kicks rat 3 doing significant damage. Rufio then grips the rat around its body as it tries to wriggle free.

Round 2

Round 2 begins, same order. Szent has already rolled.
Oct 23, 2015 2:58 am
I chant at the rat that is currently not being hugged by Rufio. "You ugly, you fat, and soon you're gonna be a dead rat".

Ooc: casting "vicious mockery"- You unleash a string of insults laced with subtle enchantments at a creature you can see within range. If the target can hear you (though it need not understand you), it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn. Posting now in case I don't get to later.
Oct 23, 2015 3:06 am
Elden continues his magical assault, calling down more holy fire.

Casting Sacred Flame, DC 13 dex save or take 1d8 damage

Rolls

Sacred Flame damage - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Oct 23, 2015 5:10 am
Seneia assumes a ready pose, relaxed, but full of potential action, like a coiled spring.

Ready action: if either of the rats makes it to the walkway the group is standing on (or attempts to get to it), Seneia will attack with a Flurry of Blows.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

Damage - (1d4+2, 1d4+2)

1d4+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Oct 23, 2015 9:40 pm
Feylinde sends another energy blast toward the rat not engaged with Rufio, afraid that she could hit him.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast (to Hit) (advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

Force Damage - (1d10+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Oct 24, 2015 5:40 am
Rat 3 takes 2 damage from such painful insults from Alanya and Elden's fire damage kill it dead. Rat 1 meanwhile is grappled by Rufio. Szent's and Seneia's actions are ineffective.

Feylinde unleashes her blast and the last rat falls limp in Rufio's arms.

End of combat. Nicely done.

Rolls

Rat 3 Dex save - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Rat 3 wisdom save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Oct 24, 2015 6:14 am
Rufio tosses the rat carcass aside and hauls himself back up on the walkway. He picks up the torch he dropped and Weylan's javelin, which he returns to the halfling with a grin. "Well, shall we move on? This tunnel heads south, right? Which way is the coast from here anyway? From what I've heard of these slave traders they ship their catch offshore for 'processing', whatever that means." Rufio has been around some pretty bad people. The thought of Milly being 'processed' further hardens his resolve to rescue their friend and hurt those responsible.
Last edited October 24, 2015 6:19 am

Rolls

Survival to gain our bearings - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 24, 2015 6:59 pm
You need little in the way of survival skills to simply know that the coastline is along the western edge of Waterdeep. Thus heading south runs parallel with the coast. However, it would appear that the people you are tracking probably came this way.
Oct 24, 2015 7:15 pm
Weylan nods his thanks to everyone and goes to Seneia. "Are you hurt? Do you want to continue in front?"
Last edited October 24, 2015 7:16 pm
Oct 25, 2015 8:07 am
Seneia brings her palms together for a brief second or two, as if closing her training session. Then she smiles and winks at Weylan, a rosy tint of excitement on her cheeks. The tiefling blood still carries fire within her veins.

"None of the beasts even touched me. I'm very much unhurt", she says. She briefly looks at the dead rats at their feet and then peers ahead to the darkness where they came from. "I think it still makes sense for me to continue up front."

Once everyone is ready to go, Seneia moves ahead of the group and start leading them ahead again.

Rolls

Stealth (Skill +4) - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Oct 25, 2015 3:57 pm
Weylan follows a short distance behind, so that he can just see Seneia at the limit of his torchlight.
Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm
As you continue your way along the sewer each of you roll a perception or survival check, only one, your choice.
Oct 25, 2015 7:31 pm
Seneia peers to the darkness.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Oct 25, 2015 7:42 pm
Hooking his shield onto his back Szent takes a quick look over his surroundings.

Rolls

(3) + 1 = 4

Oct 25, 2015 8:07 pm
I stare at the walls and ceiling as we continue moving, keeping Seneia in my sights as I do so.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Oct 25, 2015 8:51 pm
Seneia has no problem at all seeing the inconsistency on the right hand wall across the water. The apparent depression is actually a recess and it is located about 3' above the level of the far walkway. The opening is about 5' wide and 4' high.
Oct 25, 2015 9:43 pm
Perception

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Oct 25, 2015 9:55 pm
Seneia stops and signals for everyone to join her. When everyone has caught up, she points at the recess. "What do you make of that, friends?"
Oct 25, 2015 10:42 pm
"It doesn't seems like a passage to me, just an hole in the wall. Anyway a close check to remove any doubt could be done."
Oct 26, 2015 5:07 am
Weylan belatedly wonders about their situation (survival check).

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 26, 2015 5:09 am
Weylan peers at the hole. "Do you see any sign of passage through that hole?"
Oct 26, 2015 10:32 pm
It is worth mentioning that the hole is 20' away in the dark. To inspect it you need to cross the water.
Oct 26, 2015 11:52 pm
Rufio splashes across the water to get a closer look.
Oct 27, 2015 12:08 am
Peering into the opening with the aid of some light Rufio sees this is a long straight crawl space.
Oct 27, 2015 12:48 am
"Looks like we'll need to crawl through here. I could go first but it's pitch dark so I'll be blind unless I poke this torch ahead of me."
Last edited October 27, 2015 12:50 am
Oct 27, 2015 12:51 am
"Taking a torch into a closed space like that might not be a good idea. Here, take this instead," he says as he picks up a stone and casts a spell of light on it, tossing it to Rufio.
Oct 27, 2015 1:17 am
Rufio catches the stone, nods, and wriggles into the crawl space.
Oct 27, 2015 2:41 am
"I can see well enough in the dark. Give a yell if there's any trouble and I'll pass the word along!" I follow after Rufio into the crawl space.
Oct 27, 2015 9:49 am
Rufio crawls into the low passage, his vision aided by the light stone. The passage is clean and appears to be frequently travelled. There is no evidence how long it is. Only Rufio can see ahead as the light messes with Alanya's dark vision.

Rufio - Roll 3 perceptions.
Oct 27, 2015 9:57 am
Seneia leaps as far into the water (or even over it?) as she is able to, baring her teeth when she hits the water. She climbs up on the other side and peers into the crawl space, waiting for Rufio and Alanya to give some indication of whether the others should follow.
Oct 27, 2015 10:21 am
Rufio crawls forward...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2, 1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

1d20+2 : (10) + 2 = 12

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

Oct 27, 2015 4:38 pm
Feylinde lift her skirt to avoid wet it and jumps as far as she can across the water, covering the remaining distance in disgust.
Then she climbs on the other walkway to peer in the hole, checking if it's all fine for her friends.
Oct 27, 2015 5:38 pm
"So...any sign that anyone went that way, or should we continue going the way we were going?" Weylan is nervous about being split up, and about Alanya being in that hole with Rufio. They're going to be fine... Being in the city took some getting used to, but being enclosed in a hole like that? He shudders to think of it.
Last edited October 27, 2015 5:39 pm
Oct 27, 2015 9:41 pm
"There has to be another way other than that little hole." While not overly large in stature Szent still doesn't like the idea of being confined in such a small passageway.
Oct 28, 2015 1:56 am
"Hey Rufio, see anything yet??" I follow a few yards behind him just to be safe.
Oct 28, 2015 10:25 am
As Rufio crawls along the passage he covers the first 60' without incident. About 100' into the passage he and Alanya hear a *click*.

About 50' ahead he can see flickering light.

Rufio, please roll Dex save. You have triggered a trap.
Oct 28, 2015 12:18 pm
Danger Sense: At 2nd level, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren’t as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger. You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can’t be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (6) + 1 = 7

1d20+1 : (8) + 1 = 9

Oct 28, 2015 10:56 pm
Rufio's danger sense tingles and he attempts to roll out of the way of the collapsing floor. Alas, he simply rolls into the pit.

Take damage below, and roll Con save to avoid shouting out.

(Sorry, I'll spare you the die rolls soon)

Rolls

Pit trap damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Oct 29, 2015 6:52 am
Rufio realizes the danger too late. As he falls into the pit trap he tries to suppress shouting out for fear of alerting any slavers (or worse!) lurking about.

Rolls

CON save - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Oct 29, 2015 6:20 pm
"Rufio! What's going on?" I whisper as loudly as I can in his direction.
Oct 29, 2015 8:15 pm
Elden, still on the other side of the walkway, keeps an eye out for anything dangerous in the sewers

Rolls

Perception [Disadvantage for lighting?] - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

Oct 29, 2015 11:30 pm
Rufio bravely suppresses any sound due to a relatively light landing. He looks up and sees he now has a 10' deep pit to climb out of.

Merlin sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Roll athletics to climb out.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Oct 30, 2015 12:35 am
Rufio gropes around the skeleton for anything interesting before climbing out. "I'm alright," he whispers, "fell into a pit. Watch out."

Rolls

Climb (Athletics) - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Search (Perception) - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Retry if that first climb check failed - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Oct 30, 2015 4:36 am
"A pit?? Be careful!!" I clap my hands together, and form a path of lanterns leading to our location in the hopes that the group will take the hint and follow. Who knows how many traps there are down here- we're going to need as much help as possible!

OOC: Casting Dancing Lights- You create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.
Oct 30, 2015 3:05 pm
Feyilinde peering into the dark passage saw the Rufio's light suddenly disappear and then a path like made of lights appear.
"Maybe they could need our help" said her to those still outside the narrow tunnel, then she crawled inside to reach who was ahead.
Oct 30, 2015 3:26 pm
"Hey, wait!" Seneia whispers after Feylinde. "It's a tight space. Let's wait until we know if it leads anywhere. It'll be really awkward to back out if it does not."

She does not make any attempt to enter the crawl space herself.
Oct 30, 2015 10:14 pm
Rufio takes two attempts to climb out of the pit. (Ooc: which side do you climb out on... West or East? I.e. Towards light or back to party).

Ahead he is sure that there is a flickering light, perhaps 50' distance. It would appear that the narrow passage widens at that point.

Oct 31, 2015 3:06 am
I continue moving forward as carefully as possible, then wait until Rufio is out of the pit before I continue after him. The lanterns slowly follow after me as I move forward, making stops as needed to catch my breath.
Last edited October 31, 2015 12:41 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 31, 2015 10:58 am
Trying to not worry about Alanya and Rufio - Shouldn't they have come back with some tracks by now? Has something happened to them?, Weylan looks around to see if he can still see the tracks of passage heading south, with Elden.

Rolls

Perception to see tracks on the walkway - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 31, 2015 11:06 pm
"I know Seneia, but something just happened ahead and I'm going to check." - Feylinde continue onward.
Nov 1, 2015 3:39 am
The party is split again...

Rufio, Alanya, Feylinde

Rufio climbs out of the pit to the west and heads towards the flickering light. Alanya, knowing the pit is there, navigates around it. Feylinde also decides to follow the brave (or foolish?) Rufio. A few feet further and there is no doubt that there is a room at the end of the passage. The passage opens into the room at about 5' above the room floor. The room is 15' wide and extends away to the west by 30'. The room is barren, but at the far end is a door. This strikes Rufio as a little unusual considering they are exploring a sewer.

The door is located at the center of the far wall and a chainmail armored guard stands either side (2 guards). Torches either side of the door illuminate the room. (Rufio, Alanya and Feylinde please roll stealth. I'll give Alanya +1 and Feylinde +2).

Szent, Elden, Weylan, Seneia

Szent, Elden, Weylan, Seneia all wait in the sewer for a signal to follow, or evidence that maybe the small passage is a red herring. Elden examines the sewer pathway beyond the passage and can see little evidence of people passing that way. However, it is pretty shadowy down here, and he's not too certain of that conclusion. The passage is 150' long and crawling is half movement unless you are about 4' tall.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 1, 2015 4:07 am
I continue to creep forward, watching the guard in the distance and attempting to stay quiet.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Nov 1, 2015 5:18 am
Spotting the guards, Rufio feels the urge to charge them but thinks better of it and tries to crawl backwards quietly so he can tell the others.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Nov 1, 2015 6:11 am
Weylan paces.
What could they be doing in there??

Weylan paces.
Now Feylinde has gone, too? And hasn't come back??

Weylan stops pacing.
"Either they can't come back, or they've found something and are too busy to come back. I don't want to leave them here. I think we should all go and see...carefully."
He looks to the others, to see whether agreement is written on their faces in the flickering torchlight.
Then he turns to Seneia: "Would you go first again, since you can see in the dark, and these guys won't be much use crawling with a torch if there should be a fight?"
Nov 1, 2015 9:08 am
Seneia winces at Weylan's suggesting, looking decidedly uncomfortable.

"I don't know. Maybe we should wait until we hear something--"

She peers into the crawl space after Feylinde, trying to see or hear anything that would give any indication of what is going on.
Nov 1, 2015 4:07 pm
Elden is sweating with anticipation, "I, too, am worried. But they've only been away for a few minutes... we must trust in them to come back to us safely."
Nov 1, 2015 4:36 pm
"Well, I can't stand not knowing what's happening. I'm at least going to listen to hear them if they call out."

Weylan crosses the foul stream with difficulty, given his height, then crawls out of the muck on the other side. *Only in the city...and only for love of my friends...*

He then flicks himself dry as best he can while listening at the tunnel opening and peering into the darkness. If he's there long enough, he'll try to re-light his torch.

Rolls

Perception (listen) - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Nov 1, 2015 4:54 pm
Rufio decides to retreat from his vantage point, but he bumps into the the advancing Alanya. The noise attracts one of the guards. "Oi, who goes there?"

Rufio, Alanya and Feylinde must roll initiative.

Listening, Weylan hears a muffled male shout, and he knows it's not Alanya or Feylinde, both being female. Furthermore he's convinced it isn't Rufio's either. (Ooc: nice roll)
Nov 1, 2015 5:15 pm
"Armed guards!" Rufio hisses back to Alanya, before popping out of the tunnel.

Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Merlin
Last edited November 1, 2015 5:18 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Nov 1, 2015 8:07 pm
Weylan calls to the others across the stream (Szent, Elden, Seneia): "I hear yelling, but it's not them!"
Nov 1, 2015 9:55 pm
"Dammit Rufio! A little more warning would be nice!" Now blocked, I have no choice but to shimmy backwards in the tunnel and hope I don't bump into any of the other traps.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Nov 1, 2015 10:16 pm
... continue crawling in the tunnel...

Rolls

Stelth check (+1 dex, +2 DM) - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Nov 1, 2015 10:21 pm
OOC: didn't notice there was a next page in the post lol ... I'll roll Initiative :P

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Nov 2, 2015 1:02 am
Initiative sequence is Guards, Rufio, Alanya, Feylinde.

As the only entrance into this room is through the passage the guards stay ready with spears. They immediately throw at the emerging Rufio. It is clear to Rufio these are not City Guards, but much rougher looking.

Both spears hit for 6 damage. As a move action both guards arm with another spear.
Note... As Rufio is stuck in tunnel he is presently flat footed.

Rolls

Thrown spears (2) attack, damage - (1d20+3, 1d6+1, 1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (10) + 3 = 13

1d6+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

1d6+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

Initiative - (1d20+1)

Nov 2, 2015 1:41 am
"We'd better get to them." Szent says as he gracefully leaps across to the other side.

EDIT: With a flip and a half-twist just for show.
Last edited November 2, 2015 1:42 am

Rolls

Athletics [+5] - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Nov 2, 2015 1:45 am
Elden, hearing the sounds of battle, attempts to leap across to the other side

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Nov 2, 2015 3:11 am
"Come on!" Weylan scrambles up into the hole, lifting himself into the opening with a bound and scrambling down the passage bent over.

(OoC: though what he thinks he can do when he runs into Feylinde is anybody's guess...this is really a terrible situation.)
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Nov 2, 2015 3:54 am
Note:DC to jump across sewer is 10.
Nov 2, 2015 5:40 am
Seneia hesitates for a moment longer, allowing Weylan to enter the crawl space before her. Then she lets out a small growl and climbs in herself. Weylan and whoever comes after her can hear her muttering in Infernal as she crawls forward.
Nov 2, 2015 7:15 am
Rufio pops out of the tight passageway. With a yell, he charges the guard to his left, using his body as a battering ram.

-Bonus action to enter Rage
-Move 30'
-Knock prone
Last edited November 2, 2015 7:17 am

Rolls

Shove (knock prone, advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

Nov 2, 2015 12:25 pm
I shimmy forward and, as soon I get to the entrance, I jump out and curve my palms towards one another as if crushing a large crystal ball. Once that's done, I turn towards Rufio and say "Knock 'em out! You got this!"

OOC: casting Bane- Up to three creatures of your choice that you can see within range must make Charisma saving throws. Whenever a target that fails this saving throw makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target must roll a D4 and subtract the number rolled from the attack roll or saving throw.

As a bonus action, I inspire Rufio. The creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6. Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes.
Last edited November 2, 2015 12:29 pm
Nov 2, 2015 1:47 pm
Landing on the other side of the walkway, Elden will begin his crawl through to the other side. "We're coming, hold on a few more moments," he whispers to himself, crawling as quickly as he can.
Nov 2, 2015 10:21 pm
Szent takes a deep breath and quickly follows Elden into the tunnel. Crawling along he does what he can to keep his mind focused so that the walls of the tight tunnel stop closing in on him. "They're not actually closing up on you, Szent. Just keep moving forward, this thing can't go on much longer."
Last edited November 2, 2015 10:21 pm
Nov 3, 2015 12:51 am
Without hesitating, Rufio drops to the floor and charges guard 1, barreling into his chest with a shoulder barge and toppling the surprised guard. Alanya emerges next, dropping nimbly to the ground and weaving a quick spell. (Ooc: both guards are affected by bane).

Feylinde only has time to crawl forward and drop from the alcove.

All the others start to crawl rapidly along the passage. With the extra effort they manage to crawl 1/3 of the distance.

Round 2

Guard 1 staggers to his feet, and jabs at Rufio with his spear. The spear is targeted directly at Rufio's chest but somehow veers to the side, missing him. The guard looks perplexed.
Guard 2 charges Alanya, but she is not so lucky... The spear strikes true (6 damage).

Rufio, Alanya and Feylinde may act.

Rolls

charisma saves, guard 1, guard 2 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (4) = 4

1d20 : (7) = 7

React to shove - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Random roll, Alanya 1, Feylinde 2 - (1d2)

(1) = 1

Guard 1 and 2 - attack, damage - (1d20+3, 1d6+1, 1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (11) + 3 = 14

1d6+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d20+3 : (19) + 3 = 22

1d6+1 : (5) + 1 = 6

Bane 1, 2 - (1d4, 1d4)

1d4 : (4) = 4

1d4 : (3) = 3

Nov 3, 2015 4:14 am
Enraged at seeing Alanya hurt, Rufio kicks the man in the kneecap and then tries to wrestle the man into submission.

Rolls

Kick - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Adding Bardic Inspiration to attack roll - (1d6)

(2) = 2

damage - (1d4+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Bonus grapple if the kick hits. (advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

Nov 3, 2015 10:08 pm
"Hurry up guys!" shouts Feylinde behind her, just before summoning the powers of her patron and discharge it as an electric bolt on Guard2.

OOC: Ranged spell attack:+5 to hit, On Hit 1d12 lightning damage and for duration (concentration up to 1 min), each turn can use 1 action to 1d12 damage automatically.
Last edited November 3, 2015 10:12 pm

Rolls

Witch Bolt (to hit) - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

lightning damage - (1d12)

(10) = 10

Nov 4, 2015 1:24 am
On finally hearing one of his friends (and the panic in her voice), Weylan is running down the passage, leaving the others behind.

(OoC: DEX save or perception check to avoid the pit?)
Last edited November 4, 2015 7:08 am
Nov 4, 2015 5:34 am
Seneia locks her gaze forward, crawling as fast as she can. Occasionally her horns scrape to the ceiling of the crawl space, causing her to startle.
Nov 4, 2015 5:56 am
Hearing Feylinde shouting for help, Rufio yells, "The pit! Warn them about the pit!"
Nov 4, 2015 12:23 pm
I yell down the tunnel "Watch out for traps!" Then I turn towards the healthier looking guard and glare at him. "You can't hit for shit- it's no wonder you got stuck down here getting beat up by us kids!"

OOC: Casting vicious mockery- If the target can hear you (though it need not understand you), it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (13) or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.
Last edited November 4, 2015 12:23 pm
Nov 4, 2015 11:17 pm
Round 2 - Continued

There is no doubt that the guards are getting the better of this combat. Heaven only knows what a bunch of kids are doing here, but orders are orders, and none shall pass.

Rufio kicks out at one of the guards, but fails to make contact. Feylinde then casts a bolt of fire, but the aim is off, and the guard steps nimbly to one side. Alanya then casts her vicious mockery.... Guard 1 looks horribly offended.

Meanwhile the rest of the orphans make their way along the passage, now two thirds of the way. The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel, and certainly next round they will arrive. Weylan, however, finds the passage little in the way of a hindrance, and sprints along the tunnel. He leaps into the room.

(Ooc: Weylan, you join the initiative at the end of the order)

Guard 1 - 1 damage
Guard 2 - 0 damage

Rolls

Wisdom save - guard - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Vicious mockery damage - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Nov 4, 2015 11:30 pm
Round 3

The guards are gaining the upper hand. Guard 1 attacks Rufio, and Guard 2 attacks Alanya, both of whom have been injured.

Guard 1 jabs at Rufio with his spear, but the pointed stick misses it's mark as Rufio nimbly moves away.
(Guard 1 had disadvantage, but he missed anyway)
Guard 2 jabs at Alanya. The squishy bard is stabbed again, taking 3 damage.

Rufio, Alanya, Feylinde and Weylan may now act.

Rolls

Guards 1,2 - attack, damage less bane - (1d20+3, 1d4, 1d6+1, 1d20+3, 1d4, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

1d4 : (2) = 2

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

1d4 : (2) = 2

Nov 5, 2015 1:47 am
Now guard 2 is making me angry. "Oww!! Hey #^* you *#} %*+}!" It is followed by an eery tune that only he can hear. (It may even sound a lot like the yell of a famous warrior princess by the name of Xena who I've heard about through the countless songs sung about her adventures.) Then I draw my rapier and ready myself to rip his freakin toenails off or something equally painful and gross-sounding.

Ooc: Casting "Dissonant Whispers"- You whisper a discordant melody that only one creature of your choice within range can hear, wracking it with terrible pain. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw (13). On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you. The creature doesn’t move into obviously dangerous ground, such as a fire or a pit. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and doesn’t have to move away.
Last edited November 5, 2015 1:50 am
Nov 5, 2015 1:49 am
Weylan has no idea what's going on or who these people are.
All he sees is the spear piercing Alanya
and
he.

Goes.

Berserk.

There is a high-pitched shriek as he throws down the torch, enters rage and performs a 2-handed Reckless Attack on Guard 2 with his battleaxe. "GGGGnnnnnnnyyaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr!"
Last edited November 5, 2015 2:04 am

Rolls

Reckless battleaxe attack - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

Versatile rage damage - (1d10+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Nov 5, 2015 5:35 am
Seneia keeps crawling forward as fast as possible, watching Weylan jump into the fray and wondering what is ahead.

OOC: Does the monk movement speed of 40 feet/round help navigating the crawl space in any way?

DM says: the corridor is 150' long. I am assuming everyone is moving twice per round at half speed, meaning normal speed per round. I am then rounding everyone to pass through in 3 rounds at my discretion (i.e. Allowing a speed boost due to the emergency). So even Seneia doesn't get there quicker than anyone else. As Weylan can run I've allowed him to arrive one round earlier. It doesn't work out mathematically, but makes sense in the context.
Nov 5, 2015 6:02 am
Rufio throws all caution to the wind and throws a wild punch at the guard's gut. He connects, and before the guard can regain his wits the orphan grabs the man by the arms and swings him into position between Rufio and the other guard.

Reckless Attack: Attack with advantage, but attacks against you til end of your next turn also have advantage.

I'm using the grapple to use the man as a meat shield. Surely Rufio can gain some partial cover against the other guy?
Last edited November 5, 2015 6:11 am

Rolls

Unarmed strike (reckless advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Damage - (1d4+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Bonus grapple if the punch hits. (advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

Crit damage - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Nov 6, 2015 11:14 am
"Damn you!" says Feylinde as she see her energy bolt going wasted against the wall. She then focus her attention and magical energies on Guard2 to take better aim.

OOC: using True Strike cantrip: (divination, 1 action, 30 ft, S, Conc 1 round)
Point a target, on your next turn you have advantage on the 1st attack roll against it.
Nov 7, 2015 3:46 am
Round 3 continued

Desperation can yield remarkable feats of strength, and so it is with Rufio. He sees the trained guards are gaining an advantage and hurls a punch at guard 1 with reckless abandon. His solid fist connects soundly with the guard's jaw. The guard's eyes roll to the back of his head and he slumps to the ground.

Alanya casts a spell targeted at guard 2. The guard grips his head as pain wracks his brain.

Before the guard 2 can recover, Weylan appears from nowhere and slams into the man, killing him instantly.

Suddenly the battle is over. Both Rufio and Alanya have been injured, and there are two dead guards in the room.

End of round 3. End of combat.

Combat over. Actions please.

Rolls

Guard 2 wisdom save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Spell damage - (3d6)

(513) = 9

Nov 7, 2015 4:08 am
I take a good look at the guards. Maybe they're not dead! Maybe they just passed out briefly and they're totally going to be ok!

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Nov 7, 2015 4:18 am
The combined wrecking crew of the shockingly berserk Rufio and Weylan has definitely killed the two guards. They seem completely lifeless.
Nov 7, 2015 4:53 am
"Torm's balls, they're dead! What the hell did you do that for?!" I smack Weylan across the face, which unfortunately causes my wounds to bleed more heavily and begin to seep through my shirt. I slowly sink down to the ground and attempt to prop myself up on something. That something ends up being one of the bodies. My eyes start welling up with tears from either the pain or shock. "I don't feel so good. This was a stupid idea."
Nov 7, 2015 6:03 am
Rufio, who was in the middle of kicking the downed guards, stops in shock as Alanya hits Weylan, "What the hell, Alanya?! his anger turns to concern when she slumps to the ground.
Nov 7, 2015 4:07 pm
"Hold on yourself Alanya! We had to do it, kill not to be killed." Feylinde crouches on Alanya to help her to stand up and whispers "Weylan sort of saved your life. Maybe you should apologize".
Nov 7, 2015 5:00 pm
Ooc: 1 inspiration to Alanya. I like the role playing of horror vs hero for ones so young and inexperienced.
Nov 7, 2015 5:23 pm
Elden climbs out of the tunnel, looks at the corpses for a moment, I think I'm gonna be sick, he thinks before saying, "Killing should not be so easy..."

He will crouch down by Alanya, "Hold still," he says softly before laying his hands on her, channeling healing power into her.

Rolls

Cure Wounds on Alanya - (1d8+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Nov 7, 2015 8:18 pm
Little Weylan's head snapped around with the force of Alanya's unexpected blow. Now he avoids looking at her or the bodies, filled with shame, slowly banging his forehead against the wall.
Nov 7, 2015 11:24 pm
"It can't be that much further, can it?"

Szent continues to crawl forward....
Nov 7, 2015 11:30 pm
Everyone has reached the room...
Nov 7, 2015 11:36 pm
Finally reaching the end of the tunnel Szent surveys the scene. Seeing Elden attending to Alanya confirms his fear that some of his friends have been injured. "I should have moved sooner!" he sighs and asks if there are any other wounded that need help.
Nov 8, 2015 7:46 am
Seneia's countenance, usually calm and positive, looks grim and shaken when she reaches the room.

"This is an odd place to have guards in", she says, her voice tight and flat.

Seneia does not flinch at the sight of the bodies, they are not the first ones she has seen, but she cannot ignore them either. Pressing her lips tightly together in determination she kneels by the bodies to see if there is anything to be learned from them.
Last edited November 8, 2015 1:39 pm
Nov 8, 2015 1:08 pm
Searching the bodies there is nothing remarkable about them. They both wear chainmail, and they both have spears, and that's about it. It can also be noted that these are not city guards. There is no evidence of city colors, or city identity. These guys just seem to be mercenaries or ruffians instructed to perform guard duty.
Nov 8, 2015 4:19 pm
Rufio is trying to calm poor Weylan down. The halfling is clearly in shock. Whether it's from his first kill or from Alanya slapping him across the face is unclear. Rufio is unfazed by violence. The fiery youth grew up amidst much, much worse. Two dead ruffians in the sewer, one literally by his hand, is nothing to him. Especially if they had anything to do with harming Milly. "Come on, Weylan. We gotta move. Don't mind Alanya. She's just worried about Milly. We all are! Let's go find her, alright?"
Nov 8, 2015 4:38 pm
Weylan nods gratefully. He takes a deep breath, the adrenalin from his rage lending a jerkiness to his movements.
Retrieving the torch to look around (but still avoiding Alanya's accusing glare), Weylan tries to figure out what these guards were guarding. Is there a door, another passage...what?
Nov 8, 2015 4:54 pm
There is a door in the center of the wall opposite the passage exit.
Nov 8, 2015 4:56 pm
Elden approaches Rufio as well, seeing that he is injured, and will heal him

Rolls

Cure wounds on Rufio - (1d8+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Nov 8, 2015 5:12 pm
Weylan inspects the door to avoid apologizing to Alanya and explaining his rage.

Rolls

Perception (inspect door) - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Nov 8, 2015 6:01 pm
Finding nothing noteworthy about the guards and having no means to heal anyone, Seneia joins Weylan in examining the door.
Nov 8, 2015 6:19 pm
The door is a standard dungeon door. It does not appear to be locked.
Nov 8, 2015 9:53 pm
Weylan nods to Seneia. "Is...is everyone ok?"
Nov 9, 2015 4:27 am
"No Weylan, not everyone is ok! I'm exhausted! We better find Milly or all of this would have been for nothing!" I snap at him, then turn towards Rufio and point at him while staring him down. "We can't do that again. We have to be careful, so no more acting stupid! We stick with the group. It's not just about you busting heads anymore, got it?" I'm so angry and I don't even know why and that pisses me off even more. I wipe my eyes with my sleeve as I continue following the others down the hall.
Nov 9, 2015 5:37 am
Seneia turns and steps to Alanya. She gently places a hand on her shoulder and smiles, her eyes full of compassion.

"Violence is a blunt tool, Alanya. It leaves little good options. Remember Milly, remember that we are following people called Slave Traders. This is ugly." Seneia looks around the room. "But what they do is far uglier. Sometimes that forces you to use blunt tools."

"But Alanya, be proud of anger you are feeling, this disgust. Try not to grow out of them. Violence is an ugly business. You, my pretty friend, have a talent for creating something beautiful, with your song and music, and that's far more powerful. Don't learn to accept this ugliness."
Nov 9, 2015 6:30 am
Rufio gets in Alanya's face. It takes all his strength not to scream, "Acting stupid?! I was crawling back to warn everybody but you were in my way! Those guards had us made, so I had to turn around and fight! And what's this about me not sticking with the group? I was sent to scout ahead..it's not my fault everyone was too chicken to follow until things got hairy!" In disgust, Rufio throws down the rock still enchanted with Szent's light spell, "Next time, send someone else to scout ahead and get speared in the ass!"
Last edited November 9, 2015 6:33 am
Nov 9, 2015 7:24 am
Seneia steps quickly between Rufio and Alanya.

"Rufio, cut it out! You were not sent ahead to scout, you rushed in yourself. Yes, ended up in trouble. Yes, you had to fight. Yes, bodies were inevitable. But you did act rashly. Don't take it out on Alanya."
Nov 9, 2015 10:00 am
"I was going to THANK Alanya for having my back. Until SHE took it out on Weylan, and then me! Forget it, since you're all in agreement I'm stupid. You geniuses can mourn over goons who almost killed your friends, and slap each other's faces of your so-called friends all you want. Rash, you say? How's this for rash? I'm going to find Milly by myself." With that, Rufio heads back for the crawlspace. He thinks to himself, [i]I hope I can find another way to the slavers! I gotta find Slink first, and fast!
Nov 9, 2015 2:00 pm
Elden walks up to Rufio and whispers to him,

[Note to Rufio]
Naatkinson sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Nov 9, 2015 2:49 pm
Rufio crosses his arms and replies fiercely, not bothering to whisper,

"You seem to be alone in thinking this, Elden. But whatever - I don't need any bloody praise, or even a damn apology. But Alanya needs to apologize to Weylan. Terrified or not, who needs friends if they'll just bloody slap you in the face?!"

"But this is stupid - instead of bickering like fishwives we should be chasing after Milly! That's all I care about right now. So you stay here and sort yourselves out, I'm going through that damn door and saving Milly. I hope she won't slap me!"
With that, Rufio turns back and pushes past everyone to the door the dead guards were protecting. He throws the door open and sees...
Nov 9, 2015 3:46 pm
"Fine. I'm sorry. But I'm not wrong. We have to stick together!" Typical. Just trying to prove my point, isn't he? I hang back until everyone is caught up and wait to see if they follow him in.
Nov 9, 2015 11:23 pm
"Enough! If Roland wanted to send actual bickering children to do the job he would have." Szent yells to no one in particular. "We have a job to do. You can all fight each other all you like once we have Milly."

He moves in behind Rufio as he opens the door.
Nov 9, 2015 11:51 pm
The door opens easily enough, and beyond is a narrow 5' wide passage illuminated by faintly glowing torches at 10' intervals. There is a slight downward slope to the passage and after about 30' Rufio finds himself standing at the top of a steep stairway. Peering downwards the stairway is not illuminated and plunges into the darkness.

I need your marching order. So far I have... Rufio, Szent...
Nov 10, 2015 12:30 am
Weylan is right there, too, torch in hand. He looks gratefully up at Rufio. "I'm with you, too."
Nov 10, 2015 2:43 am
I unhelpfully blurt out "Oh no, what will Sir Roland think of us?!" Surely he didn't expect all this. Did he? That thought fills me with dread as I continue behind Weylan.
Last edited November 10, 2015 2:45 am
Nov 10, 2015 3:01 am
Keeping track... Rufio, Szent, Weylan, Alanya...
Nov 10, 2015 3:32 am
Elden will take up the rear
Nov 10, 2015 5:43 am
Seneia follows Alanya. She looks uncharacteristically grim.
Nov 10, 2015 5:50 am
Rufio glances back at Szent. Remembering to keep his voice down and whispers, "Well, do you guys want me to scout ahead again or do you want someone with better eyes and a bigger brain to do it?"
Last edited November 10, 2015 5:50 am
Nov 10, 2015 6:23 pm
Guys can you please calm down, stop making such noise that even any tavern keeper above us can hear and focus again on the mission?! says Feylinde just preceding Elden in the tunnel.
Nov 10, 2015 6:35 pm
Weylan, struggling to see past the larger guys ahead of him, says "Enough of this sneaking around. We made a lot of noise back there when we... well, the time for sneaking is over. Let's just go. We're right behind you."
Nov 10, 2015 10:45 pm
Marching order: Rufio, Szent, Weylan, Alanya, Seneia, Feylinde, Elden

And so the intrepid heroes descend further into the depths below the City of Waterdeep. The stairs are steep and narrow, but it is easy to stabilize by holding the walls. It is a little like caving, with water on the walls slimy to the touch, and the steps damp and perilous. None-the-less, the orphans take care with this descent and encounter no issues.

At the bottom of the stairs there is no door, and there is a wide expanse beyond. Through torchlight Rufio's eyes adjust.

There is a large cavernous space that extends beyond your range of vision. Stalactites and stalagmites join to form picturesque columns and part of the floor is covered by a mirror like pool. The place is eerily quiet, with the occasional dripping sound breaking the silence. From where you stand you can only see part of the cavern.

Do whatever you do, but also roll initiative "just in case".
Nov 10, 2015 10:51 pm
I snap my fingers, whisper a few words and 4 glowing red lights appear a good 120 feet in front of us, spread out as far as my incantation allows.

Ooc: Casting "dancing lights" since I probably lost concentration on them already.
Last edited November 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 10, 2015 11:02 pm
"Rufio, if you'd like to scout ahead a bit I'll stay twenty or so feet behind and cover you." Szent whispers as he retrieves a javelin.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Nov 10, 2015 11:43 pm
Elden takes up the rear, renewing the spell of light on his mace, just to be sure.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Nov 11, 2015 12:48 am
Weylan moves alongside Rufio, spreading out so that they are at the edges of each others' torchlight. Javelin in hand, Weylan begins to move forward, parallel to and in step with Rufio, towards Alanya's bobbing globes of light. His face still stings.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Nov 11, 2015 6:15 am
Seneia remains silent, moving to the side of the group. As she needs no light to see, she keeps watching the dark corners and shadows while others have their focus on the clearly visible.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 11, 2015 10:10 am
Rufio marches forward, eyes straining against the shadows. His step has a little less than his usual swagger.

OOC: Rufio has got no rages left.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Nov 11, 2015 2:59 pm
Feylinde following Seneia movements moves on the opposite side of the group, remeining just a little ahead to Elden.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Nov 11, 2015 11:40 pm
The orphans cautiously enter the cavern, aided by the illumination of Alanya's dancing lights. The lights appear 120' away and hover 20' apart, illuminating an 80' wide area in the distance. As if the eerie cavern wasn't creepy enough, the red glow enhances the gloom.

Rufio moves forward into the opening, and Weylan shadows him some 20' to his right. Forming an equilateral triangle, Szent follows behind the two, poised with a javelin in his hand. Meanwhile Seneia peels to the left, following wall of the cavern and peering into the darkness. Feylinde follows about 20' behind Seneia, and Elden enters the cavern with Alanya remaining at the entrance.

The spread out party quickly determines that the cavern, although irregular, is about 500' square. The floor is uneven, and combinations of stalagmites and stalactites break up what would otherwise be an enormous space.

The general direction of crossing is to the west, and to the south is the still pond. As Seneia heads in that direction, she thinks she sees some movement in the shadows in the vicinity of the pond.

Initiative order... Szent, Weylan, Feylinde, Seneia, Alanya, Rufio, Elden

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Nov 12, 2015 12:33 am
While she's still in earshot, but not looking in her direction to give away her location, Weylan calls out unnecessarily: "Just call out, Seneia, and I'll be there..."

Meanwhile, the halfling continues to peer into the darkness, hoping to find some trace of Milly soon...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 12, 2015 1:01 am
I yawn and stretch. This short walk is already wearing me down. My head hurts. "I'm going to need the longest nap ever" I say to no one in particular. After a long pause as we wait for our friends to finish scouting, I turn towards Weylan. "I'm sorry about before. I was so mad at that guy and I wanted him dead, and then he was. And now I feel bad about it. I can't explain it." I quickly add "Anyway, thanks for your help."
Nov 12, 2015 2:32 am
Not seeing anything to be wary of at this point Szent will continue to hold his part of the formation with Rufio and Weylan.

I'll have him take a ready action. If he sees an obvious enemy the javelin will fly towards him/her/it.

Rolls

Javelin Attack [Will do so at disadvantage to cover range[ - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

Javelin Damage - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Nov 12, 2015 4:48 am
Weylan is hurt, and is grateful, and is confused, and doesn't want to seem weak or needy, and is delighted that Alanya is speaking rather than shouting at him, and is guarded about getting his hopes up that everything can be OK again, and he is a teen with hormones surging through his body...

...so all he can manage, with all that going on, is a grunt (that cracks slightly, as his voice does sometimes still). He is immediately self-conscious about this, and embarrassed that everyone else can see what's going on with him, so he covers it by continuing to advance westward through the cave in step with Rufio and Szent, while worrying what they all think of him.
Last edited November 12, 2015 4:49 am
Nov 12, 2015 6:16 am
Stealth is obviously not an option anymore, so Seneia keeps moving forward, towards the movement she saw. However, she advances carefully enough to make sure that she does not rush into anything head first.

As soon as Seneia is close enough, the group suddenly hears the whistle of a bird from the southern side of the cavern, from the direction of the pond. Anyone with a decent understanding of nature will instantly recognise it as a nightingale. Surely there isn't one living down here?

OOC: Seneia uses her race ability of casting Thaumaturgy to draw everyone's attention towards the pond. Or possibly cause confusion, we'll see.
Nov 12, 2015 6:53 am
*That's a nightingale...birds don't live underground...SENEIA!*

Weylan immediately moves toward the sound, but doesn't run. She didn't yell, after all, and there's plenty of uneven cavern floor to slip or trip on in the dark.
Nov 12, 2015 12:43 pm
I glance in the direction of the pond and start moving towards it, shifting the torchlights to follow.
Nov 12, 2015 2:01 pm
Rufio hears the birdcall, followed closely by Weylan running past him towards Seneia's position. As the others move south Rufio turns and moves in that direction as well, but keeps a sharp eye west where they were originally headed.
Nov 12, 2015 2:14 pm
Elden follows the other toward Seneia's position, keeping a close eye out for danger.

Rolls

Perception (Disadvantage due to lighting?) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Nov 13, 2015 4:15 am
Round 1
Initiative order... Enemy, Szent, Weylan, Feylinde, Seneia, Alanya, Rufio, Elden

Despite Seneia keeping her eyes peeled, a silent shadow suddenly appears behind her. As Seneia moved towards the lake before alerting the others of what she thought she saw, the closest ally to her is Feylinde. (Feylinde roll perception).

The figure silently stabs Seneia in the back as Seneia tries to react. (6 damage)

Then the figure attempts to fade back into the shadows. (Seneia roll perception vs hide).

The figure acted at the top of the round. You have all been alerted to something happening by Seneia's whistle. You can each act.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Nov 13, 2015 4:44 am
Round 1
Weylan continues to move south, toward the bird call. If, at the end of his move action (25'), the light from his torch illuminates a target, he will throw a spiker at it.

Ooc: Is the cavern completely open, or are there things like stalagmites that block line of sight and might provide cover?
DM: see my post above (Nov 11).
(OoC: In this area, on my way to Seneia and the water, how many stalagmites are we having to duck around?)
Last edited November 14, 2015 1:03 am

Rolls

Perception (in case it's needed) - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Throw javelin, damage - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Nov 13, 2015 7:35 am
Seneia lets out a cry of pain, and spins around to see what hit her. She instinctively falls into a ready pose, able to follow her spin with couple sweeping kicks.

OOC: I'm guessing Seneia cannot see anything to attack?
Last edited November 13, 2015 7:36 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 13, 2015 1:55 pm
Hearing Seneia cry out Szent runs towards her to see what has happened.

He will still have his javelin in hand, ready to strike if the need arises.

EDIT: Added critical hit damage.
Last edited November 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Javelin Attack - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Javelin Damage - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Critical Hit Damage - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Nov 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Elden will rush to where he heard Seneia cry out.

Taking dash action to get close enough to assist
Nov 14, 2015 3:54 pm
(By my reckoning only 4 of you have acted)
Nov 14, 2015 4:05 pm
OOC: Rufio continues his rush to Seneia's aid. His action will depend on what he sees. If Seneia is drowning or bleeding he goes to her. If there are visible hostiles he's doing his usual human cannonball.
Last edited November 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Nov 14, 2015 8:50 pm
Conclusion of Round 1

Szent is first to react to Seneia's Yelp of pain, and he sprints across the cavern towards her. With the different types of light from spells and torches, intermingles with shadows cats by the caves natural features it is extremely difficult to see what exactly is happening. He sees Seneia spin around, but from his vantage point he cannot see what she is reacting to.

Weylan also changes direction and immediately moves towards Seneia. He can just see shadows, and Seneia turning with a florish to confront what must be an invisible foe.

Feylinde is closest to Seneia, but is actually focused on reaching the pool, totaling missing what is happening to Seneia.

Seneia feels a sharp pain in her back and immediately know she is being attacked. She spins around immediately to confront the foe she thought she spied earlier. Alas, despite her quick reactions she is surprised to find no one there.

Alanya is trying to apologize to Weylan when the sudden yelp interrupts her conversation. As Weylan runs off she stands there in astonishment, and fails to react.

Rufio is always alert to potential threat. It is the way he is built. He too reacts and rushes to Seneia's aid. He sees her kicking at empty space, and notices a figure in the shadows no where near where she thinks he is. Honing in on the threat he rushes to her aid... (This is 2 movements so no action).

Elden also hears the Yelp and sprints in that direction.

You must all roll perception, including Rufio. I will give Rufio advantage.

End of Round 2

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 14, 2015 9:18 pm
Perception

If Elden spots an enemy he will call down holy fire on the enemy, hoping this will light him up enough for his allies to see him.

Sacred Flame: DC 13 Dex save or take 1d8 radiant damage
Last edited November 15, 2015 1:16 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Sacred Flame damage - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Nov 14, 2015 10:15 pm
Seneia's movements flow like water, as she has been trained. The kicks that met only empty air turn into a spin that takes her away from the spot she was attacked at. Her stance shifts into a defensive one, as her eyes dart around, looking for whatever hit her.

OOC: If Seneia does not spot anything she could do violence on, she'll take Dodge action instead.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Nov 14, 2015 11:05 pm
Feylinde almost waked up from a dream by Seneia's cry, try to focus his attanction on anything other than her friends that's lurking in the dark, reading a spell to cast at it.

OOC: If i see anyone I'll cast Eldritch Blast to it, so I add attack roll to the perception one.

PS. If I hit the damage is 1d10+3, my bad, so total 13
Last edited November 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Eldritch Blast to hit (120 ft) - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Eldritch Blast Force damage - (1d10+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Nov 15, 2015 12:25 am
Weylan, seeing others running, runs toward Seneia, not realizing that this leaves Alanya alone behind them.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Nov 15, 2015 1:12 am
I continue moving towards the sound. If I see anything moving that doesn't seem to be one of our group members, I'll attempt to stab at it with my rapier.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Attack - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Nov 15, 2015 6:10 pm
"Seneia, what's wrong?" Szent asks as he continues to approach, javelin poised and ready.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Nov 15, 2015 7:26 pm
"I saw something!...I'm not sure what..." Rufio prowls, itching for a fight.

If he spots something he's going to tackle it.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (18) + 2 = 20

1d20+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Human cannonball - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

damage - (1d4+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

bonus grapple - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Nov 16, 2015 3:40 am
Round 2

As Feylinde tries to focus on what just happened to Seneia, she suddenly feels an incredible pain in her back. (11 damage). Everyone rushing towards Seneia suddenly, briefly, sees a figure emerge from the shadows and stab her. As instantly as it appears it appears to attempt to fade into the shadows.

(Ooc: literally no-one saw the figure last round, he critted on his hide, so no one can act effectively. However, whereas you were spread out before, you are all now in the vicinity of the combat. To act you must see the target, which is presently hiding in shadows. So, I'll help you out. To act in round 3 you must roll 12 or greater on perception. With that roll you may act as if you can see the rogue like target.)

End of Round 2

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Nov 16, 2015 6:08 am
Seneia lets out a small, frustrated growl as her eyes dart here and there, trying to catch the shadowy attacker. When she finally notices a shape, the growl turns into a determined frown, and she moves. She moves like the wind. For a moment she becomes a blur with painted horns as she spins and lets out a flurry of attacks at their enemy.

OOC: Spending a point of Ki for Flurry of Blows.
Last edited November 16, 2015 6:15 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Attacks (free unarmed + Flurry of Blows for 4 total attacks) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Damage (if hit) - (1d4+2, 1d4+2, 1d4+2, 1d4+2)

1d4+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

1d4+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Nov 16, 2015 6:23 am
Round two

Weylan peers around, alarmed that all the girls are being stabbed. Seeing the shadowy figure, he does not hesitate, but (in initiative order) he recklessly lashes out with Pretty.

(OoC: Reminder: Pretty is his battleaxe, which he's using one-handed at the moment, because of the need to carry a torch. Reckless attack: ADV on STR-based attacks this round, but attacks against me also have ADV.)
Last edited November 16, 2015 6:29 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Pretty Reckless attack (with ADV), damage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d8+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Nov 16, 2015 12:15 pm
I hear the flurry of blades. Frustrated, I look around me even more determined to figure out what's going on.

There! A shadow! I quickly highlight it in purple so my friends can get to it before it gets to us.

OOC: Casting Faerie fire- Each object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.
Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can’t benefit from being invisible.
Last edited November 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Nov 16, 2015 2:14 pm
Elden quickly spots the man this time. Wanting to mark him for the others to see he says a quick prayer to Lathander, calling down holy fire on the man.

Sacred Flame: Enemy must make a DC 13 Dex save or suffer 1d8 Radiant damage
Last edited November 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Sacred Flame Damage - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Nov 16, 2015 8:44 pm
Switching to his hammer Szent rushes to where he last saw the figure.

OOC: "Der, der, der, where did he go...."
Last edited November 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Nov 16, 2015 9:55 pm
"Damn! I thought I had him!"
Last edited November 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Nov 17, 2015 3:46 am
Round 3

The enemy rogue slips back into the shadows and shifts to another target. "This is like shooting fish in a barrel", he thinks. He is proud of his accomplishment so far, and appears behind his next target, Rufio.

He is aware that his move will reveal himself momentarily, but there are enough shadows to hide in. After aiming his blow perfectly in Rufio's back, he merges into the shadow of a stalagmite.

Szent is utterly confused at this point. The shadows flicker in the torch light, and he is perceiving movement everywhere. He simply cannot pinpoint the threat.

Weylan, feeling protective of the women folk in the group focuses a little harder to find the target. He is sure he sees a shadow move near Rufio and lashes out with Pretty, but the axe makes contact with nothing. Maybe he was mistaken?

The mighty blow on Feylinde seems to stagger her momentarily, and she is unable to act. (I do seem to be acting for Feylinde a lot).

Seneia hones her monk senses and does notice the shadow lurking near Rufio. With a flurry of blows she lashes out, but only one makes contact. She's sure she hears a feint curse.

Alanya is on alert, and spots the movement. She quickly wields fierie fire to highlight the foe for everyone, and sure enough the pesky rogue is glowing purple "(you can all now see him).

Rufio was sure he saw the rogue, but now has completely lost track of him. The pain in his back is testament to that. (Take 12 damage). Rufio you may roll to hit.

Elden, however, just happens to look directly at the rogue when it stabbed Rufio. With a flourish he rains down holy fire on the enemy. (6 damage).

Rogue : 6 + 6 damage

Rolls

Dexterity save - fierie fire - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Dexterity save - holy fire - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Attack Rufio, back stab, advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 2d6+2)

1d20+4 : (14) + 4 = 18

2d6+2 : (64) + 2 = 12

Holy fire damage - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Nov 17, 2015 4:00 am
"Gotcha! Not so sneaky now, are ya? We've got ya right where we want ya!" After I've said what everyone was thinking, I move as far away from him as possible so my friends can take care of him.

OOC: Casting "Vicious mockery"- Must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (13) or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

Bonus action- can I inspire Elden?
Last edited November 17, 2015 6:02 am
Nov 17, 2015 4:14 am
Not being able to see the obvious threats Szent will move to Feylinde's side and perform Lay on Hands - curing 5HP of damage.
Nov 17, 2015 4:52 am
Weylan whirls and strikes out at the rogue again. "YAAAAHHHH!" he cries in his shrill voice (which cracks to boot).

Rolls

Pretty Reckless attack, damage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

1d8+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Nov 17, 2015 8:53 am
Seneia steadies herself for a moment and moves towards the rogue with more care and precision, hoping that they'll accomplish what wild attacks did not.

Rolls

Attacks - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Damage (if hit) - (1d4+2, 1d4+2)

1d4+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Nov 17, 2015 12:57 pm
Elden attempts to close the distance with the Rogue so that he can't get away and attacks him, trying to knock him out rather than kill him.

If he's not able to close the distance and attack he will call for more holy fire.

If he can't get a melee attack in, Elden will cast Sacred Flame: DC 13 Dex save or take 1d8 radiant damage

Rolls

Attack/Damage - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d6+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Forgot advantage due to Faerie Fire! - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Nov 17, 2015 4:54 pm
Quote:
Rufio was sure he saw the rogue, but now has completely lost track of him. The pain in his back is testament to that. (Take 12 damage). Rufio you may roll to hit.
Rufio spins around with a wild haymaker.

Rolls

Unarmed strike - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

damage - (1d4+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

bonus grapple if unarmed strike hits - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Nov 17, 2015 10:08 pm
"Thanks Szent." says Feylinde recovering from the bad injury "Take this bastard. You can't hide anymore, don't you?" anger in her voice as some uneathlt power is unleashed on the enemy (I hope).

OOC: eldritch blast hoping to hit :P

Rolls

ranged spell attack (advantage faerie fire) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

Force Damage - (1d10+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 18, 2015 3:16 am
Aided by Alanya's fierie fire Rufio can see the rogue clearly. Lashing out, relieved at the opportunity to retaliate, his fist makes a satisfying crunch, as the rogue crumples to the ground.

End of Round 3 - Combat over
Nov 18, 2015 3:30 am
Weylan brings his torch over to Rufio and calls out: "Is everyone OK?" He does a quick head count. Then he'll inspect the downed assailant. Is there anything on its person that can shed some light on its identity?
Nov 18, 2015 4:01 am
"Who besides Feylinde has been wounded?"
Nov 18, 2015 6:19 am
Seneia grimaces and twists her arm to feel her back. Her fingers come away wet and warm. There is a gash in her back, cutting through part of her clothing and into her flesh. It seems bones stopped the blade from going any deeper.

"He got me too", she says unhappily.
Nov 18, 2015 6:50 am
"And me, the bastard. But we got him good!" Rufio kicks the downed rogue for good measure.
Nov 18, 2015 4:35 pm
Despite being out of healing spells Elden is determined to be useful. He takes a few minutes bandaging people up.

I realize that this provides no mechanical benefit, but Elden has to do it!

Rolls

Bandaging Rufio, Seneia, and Feylinde - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Nov 18, 2015 4:39 pm
"Guys, we can't keep going like this. I'm exhausted, and I know I'm not the only one. We need to hide somewhere and rest up. It'll be no good to Milly if we get captured... Or worse."
Nov 18, 2015 6:34 pm
"I hate to say it, but Alanya's right. I wouldn't recommend this place for resting though. Too exposed." Rufio takes Elden aside and shows him the vials he found, "Hey Elden, what d'you make of these?"
Nov 18, 2015 6:57 pm
Elden takes the vials from Rufio and looks them over, trying to discern what they might be.

Rolls

Int Check to figure out what is in the bottles? - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Nov 18, 2015 10:29 pm
You're right Alanya, we all need to rest and get better prepared for what could come next.
Feylinde grins as the pain for her wound arise remembering her how close she was to meet her patron.
"Just in case ... " She then invoke the gift from beyond and a sort of light surround her for a moment.

OOC: Casting Armor of Agathys (self, VSM, 1h)
gain 5 temp HP; if hit by melee and temp HP are on, the attacker takes 5 cold damage.
Nov 18, 2015 10:43 pm
Szent will talk over to Senia and will perform Lay on Hands for her as well. "Should help a bit until we can get some real rest."

Looking about the group he can tell that Rufio has had a rough go of things and offers to help. "Let me take a look, Rufio."

5HP to Senia and 8 to Rufio.
Last edited November 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Nov 18, 2015 11:08 pm
Once he's finished looking over the rogue's body, Weylan considers Alanya's proposal. But he's flummoxed, trying to think of a safe place to rest, without forcing everyone to go all the way back through the sewer to the surface. To him, any place seems as good as any other. Here at least it's dry and away from the sewage. He peers into the dark water of the pool: how large is the body of water? Could they be safe here, with some of them standing watch while others rested?
Nov 18, 2015 11:11 pm
Weylan wastes no time searching their assailant.

Merlin sent a note to spaceseeker19
The others heal what they can, and reach a consensus that they are worn out and need to rest. However, looking around, and pondering what just happened, this really does not appear to be a good place to do that, particularly as the area has not been fully explored.
Nov 19, 2015 6:15 am
Seneia smiles at Szent and flexes her muscles. "That's much better. Thank you, Szent."

Then she turns and looks around - not at the place, but at the faces of everyone around her. "I can see that you are tired", she says. "But I can also see that few of us are really comfortable with this place. Should we explore it in more detail or press ahead for a better place to rest?"
Nov 19, 2015 6:29 am
Weylan replies to Seneia: "I don't know what it goes to, but I found this key on the person who attacked us. A key means a door, right? There might be more comfortable quarters nearby."

*Of course,* he adds to himself, *it could also mean there's more bad guys nearby...*

He shows the key to the tiefling girl, and everyone else.
Nov 19, 2015 6:46 am
"I'm all for scouting around, yeah. Though I can't see in the dark like sone of you. And I threw away Szent's stone 'cause I was mad." Rufio looks at Szent apologetically.
Nov 19, 2015 2:10 pm
Elden picks up another rock and casts a spell of light on it, "Lumos!" before handing it to Rufio. He thinks for a moment and responds, "I say we press on a bit further and see if we can find anywhere better to rest; this is not an ideal location."
Nov 19, 2015 3:01 pm
Ooc: the vials handed to Elden contain a red liquid, and it is well known lore to anyone that such vials are healing potions.
Nov 19, 2015 10:38 pm
"I will stay with those who wish to rest for a bit - I'm not the best at sneaking about." Szent says as he lightly rattles his chain mail.
Nov 19, 2015 10:53 pm
While everyone is talking, I find a quiet corner and put my head down for a nap.
Nov 20, 2015 7:37 am
Weylan takes Seneia's hand and puts the key in it. "Here." He glances over at the group settling down to rest, then back up at Seneia - kind, competent and smart Seneia - and squeezes her hand. "Be safe."

Then he hefts his axe and turns away, not wanting to watch them leave, starting his vigil over the resting party members. *She'll be fine. Between Seneia and Rufio, they could take on the world. They'll be fine...
Last edited November 20, 2015 7:38 am
Nov 20, 2015 8:03 am
Rufio nods to Seneia. "Looks like it's you and me. I need to rest too, but I'm sure we can do our scouting fairly quickly. Damn, I wish I had your eyes! I mean, they can see in the dark! And they're pretty...uhm...ANYWAY, here's an idea: I can put away Elden's magic rock and trust you to see for both of us. Then if there's trouble I can bring it out so I have light enough to fight. While it's dark I'll have to...uh, stick close to you, I guess."
Nov 20, 2015 9:08 am
Feylinde takes place near the resting party, then traces some symbols on the ground and opens a tome with criptic words written on it. She then starts chanting some kind of ritual magic, whispering creepy things ...

OOC: at the end of the ritual casting, it should appear a black cat near me ... and that depends on the fact that nothing interrupt the ritual :P .... after that Feylinde just stay sit near the others, resting.
Nov 20, 2015 1:54 pm
Elden steps in front of Rufio and Seneia, saying the words of a quick prayer (wishing safety on a dangerous task). Once he's done he steps back and nods grimly, "Come back safely, and I hope you won't need this," he says before handing them a potion of healing.

This prayer is just a prayer. No spells :(
Nov 20, 2015 2:16 pm
"You keep the potion, Seneia. I've already got these." Rufio shows her the two vials he had been showing Elden earlier. Rufio stuffs the vials in his pocket. "Let's go then."
Nov 20, 2015 2:42 pm
Seneia smiles to Weylan and Elden as they hand her the key and the potion. She slips the key inside her clothes, and the potion into her belt, and turns to look at Rufio.

"That's a good idea, Rufio. Stick close to me, I'll let you know if we need more light", she says.

She looks at others, preparing for their rest. "Take care, everyone. We'll be back soon if we find a better place to rest. Or something that we need urgent help with."

Seneia motions Rufio to follow her and slips into the darkness.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Nov 20, 2015 3:02 pm
Rufio follows closely after Seneia. Without a light source he has to put all his trust in her and in his own danger sense.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Perception (disadvantage?) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (15) + 2 = 17

1d20+2 : (16) + 2 = 18

Nov 20, 2015 11:06 pm
So, Seneia and Rufio head out into the darkness. Seneia moves like a cat, benefiting from her ability of dark sight. Rufio meanwhile, can't quite see, and keeps stumbling. Seneia manages to guide him somewhat. Searching the rest of the cave, most of it continues to look natural, and they encounter no trouble, or at least not knowingly. After searching carefully for about 15 minutes they find a passage at the northern end of the cavern.

Meanwhile, back at camp, the rest of the group prepares to rest. A cute black cat appears in front of Feylinde, announcing its arrival with a loud miaow. Other than the miaow things seem pretty quiet.

(Ooc:as you are resting you can level up again - whoop!!). Extra bonus, the rest will recoup you hit points.
Nov 21, 2015 5:19 am
Rufio fights the urge to explore the passage he and Seneia have just found. "Should we go back and tell the others? Maybe set a sentry here?" It is very hard for Rufio to show such restraint, but he really has been trying to take Sir Roland's lessons to heart. Be like the wolf. The wolf is ferocious, but is cunning and bides his time. And he fights for yhe pack, puts his trust in the pack. The tussle with the sewer thugs and the argument with Alanya only made this lesson even more keen.

Last edited November 21, 2015 4:31 pm
Nov 21, 2015 12:38 pm
Seneia rubs the tip of her right horn absent-mindedly and looks around the cavern. "That sounds reasonable", she says. "Just wait here for a bit. I'll take a quick look where that passage is going. So that we don't end up camping right next to a rat nest or something."

Seneia sneaks into the passage way, just far enough to get a glimpse of where it is going. If it just keeps going as far as her dark vision allows her to see (60 feet), she'll come back, and let Rufio know they can go and get the others.
Nov 22, 2015 4:35 am
About 30' down the natural looking tunnel is a sturdy looking iron grate totally blocking the way. In the grate is a gate with a lock.

Nov 22, 2015 8:14 am
Seneia sneaks in further to get a glimpse of what is beyond the grate.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Nov 23, 2015 4:00 am
Seneia makes her what to the grate, and despite trying to sneak actually kicks some loose stones that clang against the iron of the grate like a bell. Well, it certainly seems loud in the silence of the cavern, but her heightened sense may just be overly sensitive to her attempts to be quiet. Looking beyond the grate the corridor widens to 20' and continues beyond her vision, proving the grate's location is placed in a natural bottleneck.
Nov 23, 2015 6:20 am
Seneia presses against the wall, well hidden in the darkness, and waits for couple minutes to see if the noise she made alerts anyone. Then she slips back up the passageway to Rufio.

"There is a gate, and the passage continues beyond that", she says. "Go get the others, I think this should be safe. And easy to defend, if something happens."
Nov 23, 2015 6:22 am
Rufio is startled by the sudden clang. He starts groping in the darkness of the tunnel, whispering, "Seneia! Are you alright?" He startles even more when he suddenly hears her voice right next to him (he didn't hear her approaching), telling him to go back and tell the others. He starts fumbling in the dark towards where the others are.
Last edited November 23, 2015 6:55 am
Nov 24, 2015 6:44 am
Weylan paces with his dark thoughts and the hissing of his torch his only company, waiting for Seneia and Rufio to return while the others sleep. The sting on his cheek is slowly beginning to fade, but the sting of Alanya's words...
Nov 24, 2015 8:26 am
Rufio makes his way back to the others guided by Weylan's torch. The young brawler is tired, so tired. He says to Weylan and whoever is awake, There's a tunnel back there. Obviously our next step when we decide to continue. Might be better to camp there...better protected. Seneia's back there waiting for us."
Nov 24, 2015 3:21 pm
"Sounds like a good idea, Rufio. Why don't we all head over there and set ourselves up for a rest."
Nov 24, 2015 4:47 pm
Rufio nods, and waits for everyone to get ready to move. It's difficult being so patient. Be like the wolf. The wolf fights for the pack, puts his trust in the pack. When everyone has gathered Rufio brings out the light rock and leads them north to rejoin Seneia in the tunnel.
Nov 24, 2015 10:43 pm
Feylinde gently wake up those asleep, then takes her things and move in the tunnel followed by her familiar cat. She's tired and have no words to be spoken because of that.
Last edited November 24, 2015 10:44 pm
Nov 25, 2015 3:05 am
After a hectic exploration of the sewers the orphans decide to rest. A quick exploration of the cavern reveals three key features:
1. The entrance from which they came. The staircase ascends to what they know is a guard room presently guarded by two corpses.
2. A great pool at the southern end of the cavern.
3. A passage to the north blocked by a steel grate and a steel gate.

After some discussion they decide the safest place to rest is the passage with the grate. Being 30' long there is enough room for 6 of the party to rest with one on guard duty.

Seneia takes first watch for 2 hours,
Feylinde takes next watch, leaving 4 hours unattended....
Nov 25, 2015 3:18 am
I take the next watch, strumming a peaceful melody for my friends as I keep an eye out for trouble.

Rolls

Song of Rest- Additional hit points gained - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Nov 25, 2015 4:10 am
Szent will take the final watch then.

Rolls

Perception during his watch. - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Nov 29, 2015 4:21 pm
Time for a new thread. Thread is locked.

Thread locked