Recommendation -- post your XP spend here...

load previous
Jan 29, 2016 6:29 pm
Strangely that seems like a very motivational quote. If only they would realize their code doesn't actually advocate killing innocents they may not be such bad dudes.
Jan 29, 2016 6:36 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Strangely that seems like a very motivational quote. If only they would realize their code doesn't actually advocate killing innocents they may not be such bad dudes.
Right, so that has become a dilemma for me in my thinking about the light and dark sides of the force in general. In the films, all we see is the depths of horror the dark side send people to; Anakin to Darth Vader, the infiltration and betrayal of Darth Sidious, the horrible practices of the Empire.

But there are canon worlds, like Dathomir, where force users wield the dark side and have a functioning society. Now, that society has its problems; constant conflict, tribal wars, slavery, ritual killing, etc. For that matter, the Empire is a functioning society, just an authoritarian one. Not that I advocate any of that, but it lends a bit more depth to the "good guys vs. bad guys" ideal of the original trilogy.

The Force Awakens has placed an interesting spin on things too. Kylo talking about feeling "the call to the Light Side" and trying to resist it. Curious to see where that all goes in future films/canon.
Jan 30, 2016 4:24 am
Heads up for DM. I already reverted my character sheet. So I still have 20xp. Dropped the skills and talent.
Jan 30, 2016 5:14 am
I'm going to hold of expending mine for now. Saving up for the future.
Jan 30, 2016 5:25 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
I'm going to hold of expending mine for now. Saving up for the future.
After looking through the book a bit I'm going to do the same for Csillag.
Jan 30, 2016 9:57 pm
I should have done the same sooner. :)
Jan 31, 2016 9:59 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
He question, could I retcon my last XP spend? I just realized I can spend XP to get into a new career specialization. I was thinking of expanding out. Or is it too late at this point?
Absolutely you can retcon your spend.
Jan 31, 2016 10:02 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Also, I should have looked through the Shadow skill tree to start, didn't realize it was pretty much just hiding and hacking based. Not really much fun actionable skills in that tree. So this will give me a "fun" skill tree to work with too.
Something to keep in mind -- your Force power is 1. In order to get more Force dies (and more power) you need to have a non-lightsaber specialization. So Shadow will enable to to increase your power in the Force, whereas something like Ataru Striker will just help you with combat foo.

Turns out both are super important, just for different reasons. :)
Jan 31, 2016 10:03 pm
I always thought the part of the 'prophecy' of the 'balance' in the Force was meant to be just that. That supposedly a way to use some of the emotion -- plus the calmness of the jedi -- would work together to create someone who was truly badass and not evil and who hadn't tried to disconnect their emotions.
Feb 1, 2016 12:29 am
Remnant says:
I'm going with:
Spending 05 XP Rank 1 Athletics
Spending 05 XP Rank 1 Coordination
Spending 10 XP Rank 1 Dodge Talent
Spending 15 XP Rank 2 Quick Strike Talent

All XP used at this point.
After consideration and noticing my error I can't buy rank 1 if I already have rank 1 pf Coordination so I would not like to spend XP on it since I already have it.
Feb 1, 2016 6:07 am
falryx says:
PhantomNimbus says:
Also, I should have looked through the Shadow skill tree to start, didn't realize it was pretty much just hiding and hacking based. Not really much fun actionable skills in that tree. So this will give me a "fun" skill tree to work with too.
Something to keep in mind -- your Force power is 1. In order to get more Force dies (and more power) you need to have a non-lightsaber specialization. So Shadow will enable to to increase your power in the Force, whereas something like Ataru Striker will just help you with combat foo.

Turns out both are super important, just for different reasons. :)
I guess the double specialization should help me out then in the long run. :)
Feb 1, 2016 4:57 pm
A question for the group regarding mechanical party balance: I was thinking of taking the Artisan Specialization, but it will cost me 20 XP just take it as its in a different career (why I was saving it for now).

I'm wondering if anyone is optimized (or planning to optimize) as a pilot? There's a Starfighter Ace specialization under Warrior, which I could take now and gain some benefits from. Whadda you guys think? Want the moody teenager driving? I feel like its good to have one party member who is really good at piloting. There's so many places where it can come up.
Feb 1, 2016 5:48 pm
I thought they were 20 in your career specialization and 30 for the non career specializations (this being the first they get more expensive after that). I'm not really sure what everyone is thinking of doing with their character in truth. I was actually looking at two other non career specializations after I move through a few more of the talents in my tree.
Feb 1, 2016 5:52 pm
You're correct, typo. I'm thinking I'm gonna go for the Ace specialization next. Should be fun. I've got Kylo's moody emo attitude down, now I just need to build out Anakin's pilot skills and I've got all my well intentioned light-side-turned-dark-side character archetypes covered ;)
Feb 1, 2016 6:11 pm
I spent the 20 XP to take the Starfighter Ace. Please let me know if anybody had dibs on the piloting role. It seemed like nobody was particularly keen to jump on it when the ship thing was brought up.
Feb 2, 2016 4:29 am
Check with Spaceseeker -- as it's Kaveri's ship she'd have to be comfortable having some kid drive it. ;)
Feb 2, 2016 4:31 am
falryx says:
Check with Spaceseeker -- as it's Kaveri's ship she'd have to be comfortable having some kid drive it. ;)
For sure. Door is still open, as taking the specialization does nothing for me mechanically. I'll just pull it off the table if Spaceseeker want to claim the pilot roll and save my xp as originally planned.
Feb 2, 2016 8:32 am
I'm already plotting outside my career to gain stealth and hacking bonuses from Shadow, as well as the agility based light saber fighting form of the Atrau striker. It's a lot of me upcoming XP, but it should be worth the split and give me a useful melee attack with my light saber once we can craft them. 30 just to get into the new career and specialization is kind steep but I also will get a few new career skills that should compliment everything once I can put some points into them.
Feb 2, 2016 12:09 pm
There's a lot of different options especially when you consider outside your career path, I don't think I'll be finishing my career spec anytime soon myself though plus I wanted to buy into my force talent tree and open up some others. I've been looking at the Mystic's Seer and/or the Guardian's Soresu Defender for synergy but I don't know if Falryx will let us use splat books if he doesn't have them I might find a more interesting option there, Keeping the Peace is out for Guardians but the Seeker splat book comes out end of July (Savage Spirits). There's a lot of choices regardless of what you want to do... maybe they'll be dropping one for the Mystic also. It was so easy to buy the 5 & 10 XP spec tree talents... now it's all complex and dynamically strategic... DX
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.