Chapter Seven: The Stalemate At Loton's Cove

load previous
Jun 26, 2020 5:24 am
"Why does he want it? He won't tell us. We all think he means to do evil with it. He showed up here all fancy like a lord saying 'please sir and ma'am, I believe you hold my lost treasure,' and all this nonsense. We can keep it from him. We can keep it from him forever. We can keep it from you, too." Her voice is firm but you can hear her struggling to keep it together.
Jun 26, 2020 5:44 am
"Wait, you're talking like he don't have it," says Zangua. "Aren't you working for him?"
Jun 26, 2020 3:42 pm
She recoils. "No! What? I'm Edrick's daughter! We put the sphere in the safe place, just like Kells asked. He didn't tell us much but we knew he wouldn't have asked without a stinking good reason. Gorham tried to sweet-talk us into giving it up and when that didn't work he took Jon Rockshins away and possessed him, put a devil in him or something, and that was supposed to scare us but Farfar got him to understand that he'd never get the sphere that way. So he's been here for days, coming over to 'negotiate' every evening." Her bravado, in constant flux during this encounter, begins to wane again. "Farfar doesn't know what to do other than keep stalling him. He's obviously not giving up and it sounded like he was losing patience with us yesterday. It's only a matter of time before something ugly happens again."
Jul 2, 2020 5:14 pm
"He's there now," she adds. "That's why I went out. I can't stand to be around him. The way he looks at people..."
Jul 2, 2020 7:27 pm
"Well, we are here because of Kells, running all over the place for that damn ball," says Zangua. "We aim to put an end to this, and if we can get close to the guy, we're all kinds of ugly."
Jul 2, 2020 8:10 pm
A little fire flickers to life behind Tarlen's eyes. "He comes at sundown, and Farfar lights a big candle, and when the candle goes out the negotiations are done for the day. That's the arrangement. He should be there for another hour or two. You'll have to catch him inside -- he flies away when he goes back to his camp. I can get you in without anyone seeing. Follow me!" She turns and beckons the party with her spear.
Jul 2, 2020 8:40 pm
Zangua hustles up and follows.
Jul 3, 2020 12:07 am
Felor follows, muttering under his breath "By the gods we might find the sphere after all..."
Jul 3, 2020 3:32 pm
"There need not be any killing," Domarc says. "If we can get our hands on the Sphere, we can end this without any risk of life, particularly for the village."
Jul 3, 2020 4:29 pm
"Right, like Gorham's just going to give up and go home when he sees that we have the sphere," Zangua scoffs. "There's going to be killing. Besides, that's what the High Phant told us to do, and gave us all these shiny toys to play with."
Jul 3, 2020 8:19 pm
"The sphere isn't at the house. I really think you need to just kill him. Come on." Tarlen leads the party a short distance to a valley between the sea cliffs, a bowl of green grass encircling an ungainly three-story house built of stout unfinished timbers. A stone path leads from the house down to the cove.

"This way," Tarlen says, turning right toward the sea. "We'll come around and sneak you in on the north side."

She leads you down the path to the cove a ways, out of sight of the house, before climbing back up a short rocky cliff. Now the house is behind you, and Tarlen leads you in a wide circle to the left, staying close to the scrub and cypresses growing above the valley. Eventually she makes a sudden decision to lead you in a beeline toward the house, stopping under a second story deck supported by two thick tree-trunk columns.

"Climb up, go in and head straight down the hallway. They're in the big room at the end. Be -- be careful of Farfar, please. My grandfather. He might try to stop you from doing anything but he's harmless. Just ignore him and try not to let him get in the way. Please."
Jul 4, 2020 12:13 am
"Well this all worked out much better than I expected." Leth comments as they move.

"Honestly, if we can get rid of Gorham, we don't even need the sphere, right? I say let it rot in it's hiding place for all eternity, all the trouble it's caused us."
Jul 4, 2020 12:21 am
OOC:
I forget, we know what Gorham looks like, right? Did we see his image in the smoke phone?
Jul 6, 2020 4:08 pm
Yes, and you saw him in Hazard when you were fighting Adan in front of the temple.
Jul 6, 2020 4:11 pm
Zangua turns to Tarlen. "We'll try to keep your grandpa out of it. Maybe Domarc or Leth, since you're more effective from afar, you might be able to block him out?"
Jul 7, 2020 4:47 pm
"I can try," Domarc says. Hopefully without burning anything down.

"Or should we wait until they break for the night? Perhaps we should talk with Farfar first, and figure out a better time and place."
Jul 8, 2020 6:23 pm
"And give Gorham another day to realize we're here?" says Zangua. "I think we should strike now, before one of his spies gets a chance to tell him where we are."
Jul 9, 2020 11:49 pm
Felor looks grim. "I feel we've spent too much time trying to second-guess Gorham. Perhaps it is best we act now, when we may still have the element of surprise."
Jul 10, 2020 5:40 pm
Zangua secures his gear before climbing up to the second floor, eager to end everything now.
load next

Thread locked