Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Nov 4, 2015 5:05 am
Thacogygax smiles toothily at the mother and child. "Apologize, you need not. Happy to meet you, Thacogygax am. Touch my scales, you may." Thacogygax holds out his clawed hand for the child. He hopes he hasn't mangled the words too much in his excitement.
Last edited November 4, 2015 2:53 pm
Nov 4, 2015 4:06 pm
Klak nods to Quest, "That seems like a good idea to me. It just didn't seem smart not to have... you know. The solid nature of a base to return to. I like solid things." He looks to Ogbar, somewhat aghast, "The open sky is a trial to be withstood. It's better to have stone overhead."
Nov 5, 2015 12:04 am
As Thacogygax enjoys a rare peaceful interaction with a child, he hears a commotion coming from the south gate of Hochoch. Cries of "What happened, Hale?" and "Who did this?" come from a crowd that has formed around a man slumped in his saddle, hanging on to his horse's neck to keep from falling off. This crowd is moving slowly with the horse; the procession will pass you shortly.

The rest of the characters - Aanbo, Klak, Ogbar, Quest, Sara, and Morgran - can make perception checks to see if they hear the outside hubbub from within the Inn of Eternal Rest.
Nov 5, 2015 12:15 am
Aanbo sips his tea, about halfway done. In his mind, the pursuit of one task at a time to its completion is one of the principles leading to enlightenment. There is always time for additional tasks once the first is done.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 5, 2015 12:27 am
Ogbar gets an odd feeling, like he just heard something. He strains his ears to see if he can hear more.

[Perception Check]
Last edited November 5, 2015 12:28 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Nov 5, 2015 12:33 am
Quest was making ready to head outside to speak with the merchant when something peeks his interest

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Nov 5, 2015 3:15 am
Klak continues to think about the trials of camping aboveground. Never one of his favorite things to do, but it gets him in a pensive mode where it seems he is more perceptive to his surroundings than usual.

OOC: Hahaha! I love that I roll a natural 20 on a Perception check. That's awesome.
Last edited November 5, 2015 5:51 am

Rolls

Klak isn't very perceptive. - (1d20-1)

(20) - 1 = 19

Nov 5, 2015 10:04 am
As the conversation about ales winds down I overhear Klak's concern about having a roof overhead. I finish the mouthful of ale left in my mug and walk over to him, "If you know her secrets, the forests and wildlands of the world are the safest and most comfortable places to rest and recuperate." I smile, then add "I've lived in and around trees most of my life." to reinforce that I do indeed know what I'm talking about.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Nov 5, 2015 4:46 pm
Sara, Klak, Quest and Ogbar all hear a commotion of voices yelling outside; not of the "get out of my flower bed!" variety, but rather people calling for help.

The silent Morgran and the contemplative Aanbo do not hear this, but will of course notice if anyone in the party reacts in a visible way.

Devane and Kons set down the cracked cask they were trying to shift (it's spilling beans into the dust from a big split in the side), dust off their hands, and go to the gate of the courtyard to investigate.

The horse with the injured rider is abreast of Thacogygax now; citizens are pressing in from every direction, shouldering him aside as they try to see and talk to the rider at once. Blood drips into the dust.
Nov 5, 2015 4:52 pm
Hearing calls for help (calls for adventure?) Ogbar will shout to get Morgran and Aanbo's attention and rush outside, drawing his axe as he goes.
Nov 5, 2015 5:00 pm
I follow behind Ogbar, although I am less keen on arming myself. Once outside, I approach the crowd and try and get close to the rider - who must in someway be injured, "Please, clear space. If there are injuries they should be tended to with haste and care."
Nov 5, 2015 5:02 pm
While the pursuit of a single task to completion is key to enlightenment, necessity and urgency do take priority. Aanbo is jarred from his meditation by Ogbar's call, and finally notices the activity in and around the Inn of Eternal Rest. He senses the almost-tangible concern in the air, and leaves his seat to investigate with the crowd.

OOC: Not sure how far I am from the rider, nor how thick the crowd is by the time I can get there, but I'd like to roll Medicine to ascertain the nature of the wound and to stabilize the man.

OOC part 2: Well, I guess my bad roll could be described as not being near enough to tell!
Last edited November 5, 2015 5:03 pm

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Nov 5, 2015 8:03 pm
Aanbo, Sara, and Ogbar all leap to their feet, run out the courtyard and out the gate, passing Devane and Kons, and leaving Morgren snoring on a tabletop as a puddle of ale expands from his overturned mug.

"What's happened?" people yell, as they run to join the small crowd. Thacogygax can easily be seen, looming over everyone else in the crowd. "It's the miller, Hale Arneson!" and "Something's happened to Hale!" and "Somebody go get Diana!" are repeated cries in response. Sara shoulders her way through the crowd to clear a space with Ogbar and Aanbo in her wake, just as the injured human or half-elf slides (leaving a streak of blood on the horse's neck) and falls out of the saddle.

Sara and Thacogygax may do DEX saves to see if they can catch him. Ogbar and Aanbo may also attempt the same, but with disadvantage.
Nov 5, 2015 8:09 pm
Instinct moves Aanbo to attempt to catch the man as he falls, or at least cushion the impact. He almost doesn't even consider the crowd and the legs he has to move through.

Rolls

DEX with Disadvantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

1d20+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Nov 5, 2015 8:34 pm
Ogbar attempts to catch the man before he falls out of the saddle.

Rolls

Dex save disadvantage - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (19) + 1 = 20

1d20+1 : (16) + 1 = 17

Nov 5, 2015 8:41 pm
Quest has been shouldered out of the crowd. He lets the townsfolk deal with their injured but opens his mind and that of the wounded rider to learn what is happening. Should danger be approaching from the south he is ready to run and face it.

Using Psychic mind to speak with Hale mentally and find out what has happened.
Nov 5, 2015 8:52 pm
Klak is slow to get rolling, but -- takes after his colleagues out into the outdoors. He uses his dwarven bulk, and not insubstantial strength int shoulder through to the front of the line to see what's afoot. Should he see that the injured human, Hale, is seriously wounded - rather than just bleeding from some cut or seven, he asks, "Is there a healer here? If not, I can ask if Clanggedin will help me aid him so that we may be off to battle. I think Silverbeard would be okay with that."

(OOC: If people seem slow to get a healer and he's seriously hurt, Klak will use his ability to heal up to 5 HP)
Last edited November 5, 2015 8:53 pm
Nov 5, 2015 10:12 pm
Amid the commotion Thacogygax's attention is torn between helping the injured rider and protecting the child Nyomba and her mother from the sudden press of people. He busies himself with the latter, but as the rider falls practically at his feet Thacogygax moves to catch him.
Last edited November 5, 2015 10:22 pm

Rolls

DEX - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Nov 5, 2015 10:27 pm
Almost instinctively, I step forward as the man falls and move to catch him and save him from the force of a sudden impact with the ground.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Nov 6, 2015 2:28 am
Sara catches his shoulders and Ogbar is there too, catching his legs. The horse shies and whickers nervously, both from the smell of blood and the sight and smell of something utterly alien in Thacogygax.

They set him down gently and the crowd parts a bit to make room. Quest tunes out the babble of the onlookers and reaches out to contact the man's mind.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to foolsmask
One of the onlookers responds to Klak: "Rellie has gone to get Diana. She should be here really soon." Aanbo and others can see that the man does not look good, however; it would probably be a good idea to do what you can to stop the bleeding (medicine checks).
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.