Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings

load previous
Jun 14, 2016 4:11 am
Xandak crouches low for a moment, studying the body structure of the boar, searching for any soft, vulnerable points he could hit to weaken or disable the creature.

Ah-ha - there! He thinks to himself as he finds what he's looking for. He lunges forward, one hand pointing both fingers in a jabbing motion right at one of the Boar's soft joints, where it's front right leg meets it's torso. Xandak hoped his analysis was correct and he could hit a nerve to temporarily disorient the creature. He didn't wait to find out, though, as he quickly followed up with two more punches at the Boar's underbelly.

Action 1: Move to boar
Action 2: Stunning Strike (Fortitude save, DC 10+Wis modifier+1/2 my character level, so that's either 11 or 12, depending on whether it rounds up or down). On a failed save, the boar is stunned for 1 round. Then Flurry of blows.
Action 3: Attack

Rolls

Stunning Strike - (1d20+5, 1d6+4)

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Flurry of Blows - (1d20+5, 1d6+4)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d6+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Attack #2 - (1d20, 1d6+4)

1d20 : (12) = 12

1d6+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Jun 14, 2016 4:27 am
Malik rushes over to the bear rider and places a hand on his steed, muttering to himself again as energy flows from his thresh to him to the bear.
OOC:
Casting Hex: Ward
Jun 14, 2016 6:50 am
Urthask barely notices Malik as Arktos charges forward. Not deigning to bloody his heirloom weapons in a boar hunt, Urthask yells and waves his sword about to distract the boar and lets Arktos do the rest.
OOC:
• Urthask takes the Aid action (aiding Arktos) granting the bear +3 to attack (Aid Allies)
• Unsure if Distracting Charge comes into play here, as it is Arktos and not Urthask who attacks and potentially hits.

Rolls

Arktos bite - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

bite damage - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Jun 14, 2016 1:44 pm
Xandak's first strike stuns the boar, leaving it open for a devastating strike to the head, it wobbles and stumbles until Arktos gets there are bites down on the boar's neck, shaking it back and forth until you hear the neck snap.

Aldern watches in amazement at your efficiency, just barely having had time to pull up his bow and nock an arrow, "Wow! You are truly incredible, I must say! We're going to eat well at the Rusty Dragon tonight," he says, chuckling and shaking his head in amazement.
OOC:
Boar is dead, you all gain 150 exp
Jun 16, 2016 5:41 pm
The trip back is primarily dominated by Aldern's constant chatter once again. He replays the battle that took down the boar about a dozen times in the 30 minute trip back to Sandpoint, constantly referring to you in flattering terms: Masterful, graceful, talented, etc.

That night you enjoy roast boar and many other delicacies, all on Aldern's dime. About 15 minutes into the meal, the door slams open and an old Tian man steps in and barks out a question that none of you understand. He takes a few more steps in and repeats the question, but no one answers. Everyone has taken a sudden interest in eating silently, trying not to look at the old man.

Gongar and Xandak recognize the man as Lonjiku Kaijitsu, a local aristocrat and father of Ameiko, the proprietor of the Rusty Dragon. He is well-known for his temper and his common outbursts.

His narrowed eyes sweep the room, looking for someone. They land on your table and he frowns before walking over slowly. "So, you're the fools who caused such trouble when the goblins attacked, eh? Damned idiots should have left the defenses to the trained professionals... sick of all you would-be heroes interfering in things better left alone!" he says to you, voice growing louder and louder as he goes on until he's shouting at you.
OOC:
Tian: Think Asian ancestry
Jun 17, 2016 5:16 am
As the man begins speaking, Xandak simply raises an eyebrow and glances over at Aldern, whose life had been saved by this group of "would-be heroes", to see if he would say anything. Personally, Xandak wasn't fazed in the least by the ranting and ravings of the man; he knew their actions had saved many lives and they had undoubtedly done the right thing. However, the fact that this man had fault with that... what cause would he have to be angry at their heroics, unless the outcome was one he didn't like? Was he tied to the goblin attack somehow? Urthasks' earlier suspicions that the goblins may have had help from inside the city once again echoed in his ears, this time with a little more weight to them. Xandak takes a moment to study the man, looking for any clues in his physical appearance to indicate any sort of foul play or association with the goblins or the attack in the tomb. When he finishes, he turns away from the now yelling old man and calmly takes a sip from his drink, and then looks straight at Gongar.

{Man Help Goblins ? Careful}
Last edited June 17, 2016 5:17 am

Rolls

Perception (is this dude secretly a BAD GUY (dun dun DUN)) - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Jun 17, 2016 12:31 pm
"against goblins!? Pshaw, i first thought their attack was part of the celebration!", "besides, if you're 'trained' professionals had been there we wouldn't have needed to fight back."
Jun 17, 2016 1:58 pm
All Xandak can see is an old, feeble man. There's no way to tell if he was somehow involved, but you know for sure he couldn't have been the one to scale the wall with the goblins.

The old man's face turns an even deeper red, "They were there, and they had it well in hand, you're just a bunch of glory-seeking vagrants! It would be best for all of us if you'd just leave now before you attract any more trouble to the town!"
Jun 17, 2016 2:38 pm
Malk steps forward, his voice somewhat weak at first, but growing more steady. "Foolish man! There were those protecting the townsfolk, but they were overwhelmed. Thank the gods we were here, or who knows how many more lives would have been lost? We're here to help this town, which seems in dire need of it, if men like you hold any sway!"
Jun 17, 2016 4:39 pm
A flurry of things he could say passes through Xandak's head, but at this moment he is glad for his vow of silence, for it gives him an excuse to stay out of the petty argument. Instead, he passively sips at his drink, back turned to the raging man, and gives Gongar a single sign when their eyes briefly meet.

{Idiot.}
Jun 17, 2016 5:12 pm
Urthask rises to his full, imposing height. He bows to the enraged old man. "We regret any trouble we might have caused you." Bowing to the room, the hulking half-orc says, "Good evening, gentlemen." before striding out into the yard. This is why Urthask has always hated human settlements. And neither Aldern nor the old coot in the tavern have done anything to change his mind.

Urthask looks up at the stars. Outsiders often think of his tribe as brutish barbarians, hardly more civilized than animals, but his people are warrior poets, composing epic skalds and songs telling of mighty deeds and the beauty of the land they call home. Furthermore, the frostkin are astronomers. The tundra is littered with stone circles and monoliths, complex monuments built by his ancestors, that study the movements of the heavens, and tracking the journey of the sun across the sky, marking equinox and solstice. His thoughts turn to his missing father and the rest of the Lost Riders. What could have become of them? What am I to do now?
Jun 18, 2016 1:30 am
"Do you even realize the irony of getting an orc to apologize for not slaughtering innocents? Let alone aiding in their defense..."
Shakes his head, "Hah! Find a better target for your anger old man, blaming foreigners for your problems doesn't make them go away."
Jun 20, 2016 6:51 pm
The old man raises a finger to point at you, probably to lecture you on manners, when the kitchen door slams open, "What in the hell is going on out here?"

You see Ameiko, the proprietor of the Rusty Dragon, emerge from the kitchen, dripping soup ladle in hand. She stops when she sees the old man, "Father? What are you doing here?"

The old man turns away from you and turns to her, speaking rapidly in another language. You can make out the word Magnimar, a nearby city, but not much else. She argues back for a moment, then switches back to speaking common, "Leave, I'm not going with you!"

His face contorts with rage upon her making their business fully public and he reaches out to grab her arm, to which she pulls out of reach and hits him in the head with her ladle.

He sputters for a moment before straightening up, ignoring the bits of soup and potatoes all over his clothes, "You're as dead to me as your mother!" he shouts, then turns to leave, glaring at you as if it's your fault.
Jun 20, 2016 7:00 pm
Malik looks on with a confused look on his face. "I'm..." he starts, catching himself. "Are you ok? What was that?"
Jun 20, 2016 7:09 pm
Inside
As you look at Ameiko, you can see tears in her eyes at the cutting remark. She sniffles, wipes her eyes discreetly and looks at her ladle, "I'll need a well-cleaned ladle now, since jackass stew's not on the menu!"

At her remark, the other patrons burst into applause, bringing a slight smile to Ameiko's face. She looks at her patrons gratefully, then walks over to your table, "I'm ok... but I'm so sorry about my father, I hope you're not too terribly insulted.

Outside
Urthask: As the old man leaves, you notice he's covered in food and has the most foul look on his face. He stomps right by you, then stops briefly to spit on your feet and continue on his way.
OOC:
You all gain 600 exp! I think this should gain you a level
Jun 20, 2016 7:12 pm
Malik looks at his companions and back to Ameiko. "Insulted? Certainly not. What he says or does is not a reflection of you. Rather, your actions clearly speak for themselves," he says, waving his hand across the crowd.
Jun 22, 2016 4:28 am
Xandak gives a comforting smile and nods in agreement with Malik's words.
Last edited June 24, 2016 10:15 pm
Jun 23, 2016 9:47 pm
Ameiko nods her gratitude, "A round of drinks, on the house, for standing up to the horse's ass!"

The rest of the night passes uneventfully.
Jun 24, 2016 6:04 pm
The next morning you wake up and have a nice breakfast (free of charge). As you are getting ready for your day, a young boy comes running up to your shared table, "Misters! Glad yer here, the sheriff sent me to find you, says he's gotta talk to ya 'bout sometin," he says, out of breath from running here, "Says you should go to the town hall right away."
Jun 24, 2016 10:15 pm
OOC:
Rats, I was gonna try to find a way to ask Ameiko some questions; that was a plot hook if I've ever seen one.... I was just too slow
The boy runs up just as Xandak is taking a bite out of a loaf of bread. He freezes in place for a moment, listening to the boy, bread sticking out of his mouth, and then slowly looks over at his companions. With a shrug, he resumes chewing, though now he is hurrying to finish so they can be on their way to whatever important discovery the sheriff had to share with them.
Last edited June 25, 2016 3:09 am
load next

Thread locked