TftF Out of Character

load previous
Aug 7, 2021 7:28 pm
Double-checked the map and the marshes are entirely not where I thought they were 😅 But we'll go with them being up north now. As long as none of us are actually from the Mälaren, we can survive with some geographical inaccuracies
Aug 16, 2021 5:20 pm
You have all the pieces of the mystery now and once you have wrapped up your conversation with the Shaman, we're probably going to be heading to the final confrontation of this adventure.

Before we do that, though, I'd love if you (one of you or you all collectively) could just let me know what you figured out of the mystery. What exactly happened and why and what is going on?
Just so I can fill in any gaps and so you're all fully in the picture when we head to the climax of the game.

Maybe one of you can just start and the others can then chime in with additions (or write that they don't know anything more, so we know who's seen it and who hasn't).

KCC

Aug 18, 2021 12:02 pm
So the way I’ve gathered is, is that:

We found the body of Mark in the field. We don’t know who or what killed him. It looked like maybe a suicide, or at least set up to seem that way.

At school the next day, we encounter Mark’s aunt, grieving. This sets us on the trail of heading to his house, where we get some interesting pictures and some correspondence that leads us to the robots and the doctor.

At the doctor’s office, we find her missing, and some terrible robot-biological hybrids in the basement. All signs point to the marsh and the robots.

We go to the marsh and speak with the elder shaman. He tells us that some of his crew want to procreate, and live. Perhaps they abducted the doctor to continue her, thus far failed, experiments on making biological robots.

Maybe Mark witnessed this abduction and was killed by the splinter faction. Or perhaps he was working together with the doctor and disagreed with her. She, or the robots, killed him and fled to continue their work?

How does any of that sound?
Aug 18, 2021 5:37 pm
The two parts you're still missing in the puzzle are this
Quote:
Yumin inspects the radio and finds that it has been extensively modified with complicated technology. She tries to turn it on but nothing happens. It appears to not be working. Yumin can't quite understand at first what it does but then she spots a small note with names written down in the same scribbled handwriting as the dedication in Mark's book. Some have been crossed out, some marked with a "?". Going through the list - Peace Maker, Back-At-You, Empathy Enforcer, War Ender - she finally puts it together. This radio seems to have been a failed attempt to create a device that transmits human emotions as radio waves.
and this
Quote:
The project is completed and I have finally succeeded. My technology will save humanity from itself. I almost can't believe it. Now it only remains to return to the bunker and terminate the trial subject. It will put a strain on my relationship with the robots of course, but I'm sure I can make them understand.
Liv seems to have had other plans than the robots
Aug 18, 2021 5:54 pm
I nentioned the first of the above in an OOC in the IC thread, as Yumin was the one who found and determined the radio's function. Since it wasn't shared in-character as far as I can tell, I didn't want to have Sabine mention it.

The second thing above, along with the weird and escalating phantom pains and visions, is partially why Sabine knows that this machine fetus exists and not conjecture. The machine parts and organic matter in the basement are proof of this. It also ties Mark's notes about the Totem Clan and the kidnapping. The Totem Clan and Dr. Liv were at odds over this fetus.

The bunker mentioned in Dr. Liv's computer file has also now been identified by the stencil on the crates in the basement and Shaman's confirmation of KAB III.

We know that Shaman and his people decorated Mark's body and has hung black cloth in the swamp as a sign of mourning for him. Shaman also has told us the Totem Clan killed Mark and their leader is Jane.
Last edited August 18, 2021 6:28 pm
Aug 18, 2021 6:03 pm
I would assume Yumin shared that info with the others. I'm also mostly thinking about getting all the players on the same page at the moment.
Aug 18, 2021 6:04 pm
Quote:
their leader is Alice.
Jane
Aug 18, 2021 6:28 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
their leader is Alice.
Jane
Yes. Jane. Where did Alice come from? ;P
Aug 19, 2021 2:27 am
I'll add some more thoughts on this in a few, i think i get it

EDIT:: Okay - so here goes.
Quote:
Going through the list - Peace Maker, Back-At-You, Empathy Enforcer, War Ender - she finally put
Dr. Liv is building a device, and as Rage said above, the purpose of the machine is not what the robots expected when Dr. Liv came to them promising the ability to procreate. The words above are proposed names for this device she is building. The names speak volumes about what her ultimate goal for the device is - it is a device to impose empathic signals onto the human brain with the goal of pacifying the people.

The device depends on the robots, otherwise why would she have needed to approach them to make her plan work. She has found a way to combine organic matter with robotic parts in order to create some sort of hybrid creature. The creature is implanted with an empathic resonator that is pushing its own fetal thoughts on the town. It's a prototype and it functions, but now that she knows it works, she wanted to pull the plug and use the technology in the manner that supports her actual goals.

The robots, not so keen on being duped, kidnap her to attempt to force her to complete her original promise to them after they found out about her alternative motives. Mark sees this take place and they kill him.

...close-ish?
Last edited August 19, 2021 3:51 am
Aug 19, 2021 5:46 am
Yes, that's pretty much it.

Liv wants to create a machine to create world peace by being able to trransmit emotionsand experiences between people. To experiment and test out her device, she promised the Vagabonds to help them procreate but only the Totem Clan accepted the offer and joined her. They started out in Liv's basement but then moved the experiment to a remote bunker in the northeast of the island.
Liv's experiment is successful and the whole town is getting hit by the emotions and feelings of this "Machine Fetus" as it's slowly and painfully being "born". Liv wants to end the experiment but the robots discover it and kidnap her to force her to keep working on it.
Mark sees the abduction and is then killed by the Totem Clan so he can't tell anyone of what they're doing. They moved his body and it was found by the rest of the Vagabonds who decorated it to honor their dead friend.
Aug 19, 2021 5:58 am
Ah hey, sorry! My Internet has been all kinds of terrible the past couple of days and I've not been able to check in. Will catch up now, seems I missed a bit!

Edit - okay! All caught up! So, we're off to see the bunker and turn this thing off.
Last edited August 19, 2021 6:05 am
Aug 24, 2021 7:41 pm
How big are the remains of the robot? Can it fit in my backpack?
Aug 24, 2021 7:47 pm
It's the size of a an adult human torso, but much heavier since it's made from metal. It wouldn't fit in your backpack but you could somehow find a way to attach it to your back and carry it. It would hinder you, though

It would hinder cinder
Aug 24, 2021 7:49 pm
bowlofspinach says:
It would hinder cinder
Lol!
Aug 25, 2021 12:13 am
Hah! good to know ;) ty
Aug 28, 2021 9:34 am
BTW, Sabine also has a packpack she can shrug off in her run and use to swat off robots if she needs to, but I am hoping Eric can handle that with his hockey stick. How extra dice would Sabine get for using the item (backpack) to keep the robots off so she can accomplish her task?
Last edited August 28, 2021 9:34 am
Aug 28, 2021 9:38 am
Well... I rolled a lot of 1's...

Edit - Okay, two sixes that time, and a shamed extra for three total.
Last edited August 28, 2021 9:48 am
Aug 28, 2021 9:39 am
See IC thread. Reroll as a Push (all 10 dice) and take a condition.
Aug 28, 2021 2:18 pm
Looking good so far! Now we just need three successes from Mikael and this will go off without a hitch
Aug 28, 2021 8:49 pm
It's going to take me a moment to figure out what Mikael's doing here. His best skills are social (not sure how charm would work against these robots lol) I'll think of something.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.