Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Dec 4, 2018 3:14 am
Could I target "the pitter patter sounds" with my 15' cone of Burning Hands?
Last edited December 4, 2018 3:14 am
Dec 5, 2018 12:18 am
I don't remember if we've gone over this before: If I use a combat maneuver, do I still get two additional attacks? One from dual wielding, and one from my extra attack ability? Or do I just get one additional attack? Extra Attack says I can only do it when I take the "Attack Action", I'm just not sure if that means only normal attacks or if that includes combat maneuvers since those also require attack rolls
Last edited December 5, 2018 12:19 am
Dec 5, 2018 12:36 am
OOC:
The maneuvers from the fighter class specify when you can use them. If the maneuver says "when you take the Attack action" or "when you hit with a weapon attack" it does not affect the Extra Attack feature.
Dec 6, 2018 5:20 pm
Rats, Domarc thinks, listening to the scurry overhead. But we're the ones who walked into the trap. And I didn't even get any cheese...

Domarc will continue to hold his action, waiting for the rat pack to appear at which point he will breathe fire.

Bonus Action: Inspiration to Mordred again: look at that dagger! Look at that dagger! He works out!
Last edited December 6, 2018 5:56 pm
Dec 6, 2018 9:05 pm
Mordred: you can target the basement ceiling with Burning Hands, sure.
Dec 13, 2018 5:45 pm
To be clear, this may cause a problematic fire situation for the party. Mordred, would you like to cast Burning Hands or take a different action?
Dec 17, 2018 4:14 pm
Ah, crap, sorry, I somehow missed that y'all were waiting on me. notinventedhere, you owe me a keyboard.

Mordred pushes up his sleeves and says, "Let's just do it and be legends, man."
Dec 17, 2018 7:24 pm
Abandoning all caution and common sense, Mordred points his fingertips at the ceiling and casts forth flames.

The old wood of the holy house is quick to catch. Fire traces its way up the dry wood fibers and into the cracks, hissing and smoking and bursting into sparks. The priest slides backwards, wheeling left and right. His face remains blank but you read confusion, perhaps even alarm into his movements.

It will not take long for the basement to turn into a fiery deathtrap. What are your characters going to do now?
Dec 17, 2018 7:50 pm
"Quick! To the stairs!" shouts Felor, and makes for the stairway back to the surface.
Dec 17, 2018 7:52 pm
In my defense, I thought we were in a cave and not a basement, but I still am not too mad about what has happened. Sometimes you've got to try something a little dramatic.

Octo, where are the clearly marked fire exits?
Dec 17, 2018 8:10 pm
Zangua attempts to grab onto the priest again, trying to give his companions a chance to flee while restraining the monster from escaping.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+8)

(16) + 8 = 24

Dec 18, 2018 5:49 pm
There's a rickety wooden staircase at the other end of the basement. It hasn't caught fire yet.

Zangua charges the priest.

Edit: Zangua's charge turns into a tackle, and he smashes the priest back into one of the wooden cabinets along the wall. The priest lets out a long, low, angry groan.

The wooden beams overhead are going up fast, and smoke starts to build up on the ceiling. Shrill squeals sound out from above; a few rats, some with their fur singed and smoking, fall through the ceiling to land on the basement floor.

Felor rushes for the stairs, his spear lighting the way for his companions.

What's everybody doing?

Rolls

Aeron STR check - (1d20+4)

Dec 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Mordred will head for the exit, but his priority is making sure the way is safe and clear for the rest of the party - he's got Fire Resistance, after all, and this whole thing is partially his fault.

Rolls

Perception (falling beams, hotspots, whatever) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Extra roll in case you need an attribute check or something (modify as needed) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Dec 19, 2018 5:50 pm
Mordred rushes past Felor, finding the way to the stairs clear. Sparks and rats continue to fall through the ceiling, but the load-bearing beams are still holding. However, the shrieking, burning horde of rats is just reaching the top of the stairs and has started to run and spill down the steps in a disorderly fashion. Mordred sweeps them out of the way as best he can as he ascends, trying to clear the stairs as best as he can for the others.
Dec 19, 2018 6:05 pm
Zangua knows the priest can still move if he lets go. Perhaps if he can keep it pinned somehow?

With that thought, Zangua releases his grip upon the priest and takes up his glaive. Holding it overhead, he smashes the blade down at the priest. However, he aims not for the neck, but for the wooden cabinet just underneath, angling his strike to try and place an obstacle in-between.

Zangua turns, and heads for the stairs.
OOC:
I don't know if it's considered an attack if I intentionally miss the priest. If it is, I'll use my Mobile feat to prevent any opportunity attacks as I leave, since it applies whether I hit or miss. If it doesn't count as an attack action, I'll risk the OA.
Dec 19, 2018 6:15 pm
If I've got a turn...

Mordred watches Zangua get up from atop the priest and - as soon as the fighter is clear - Mordred sends an arrow towards the priest.

Rolls

Arrow attack & damage - (1d20+3, 1d6+3)

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

1d6+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Dec 19, 2018 6:34 pm
If anyone takes fire damage during our escape (except the already-resistant Mordred, edit: or Zangua!) I will use Dampen Elements as my Reaction to give them resistance to that instance of damage.
Last edited December 20, 2018 12:33 am
Dec 19, 2018 6:39 pm
OOC:
Zangua has a Ring of Fire Resistance.
Dec 20, 2018 5:03 pm
Domarc will move to the base of the stairs.

"Everyone get out!" he yells, eyes alight and a fierce grin on his face. "If we're going to burn this place down, then I'll make it burn!"
load next

Thread locked