Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Jan 7, 2019 10:50 pm
Mordred springs up to the window, catches the ledge, scrabbles his way up and shoves himself through the narrow opening, falling several feet to the earth below. It knocks the wind out of him, but he gets to his feet, unharmed.

Felor attempts to follow Zangua's path. Halfway across, the beam he steps down on gives way, and he falls through the flames back down into the basement.

Domarc and Leth, I need rolls from both of you. Felor, you are back down in the basement, disoriented and slightly hurt from the fall. While most of the flames themselves have been traveling upward from the basement, there's still lots of smoke and burning debris down here.

Rolls

Felor falling damage - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Jan 7, 2019 11:01 pm
Wait, burning down buildings while we are still inside of them has consequences?

Domarc makes a leap for it. Bonus action - inspiration to Leth, an extra d8 for his ability check.

Like Mordred, I'm also going to try acrobatics if that is ok

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Acrobatics - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Jan 7, 2019 11:15 pm
So I have a question - Domarc has a Wind Fan, which can be used to cast Gust of Wind. The description notes that Gust of Wind "extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames in the area. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50% chance to extinguish them." However, I'm guessing that it wouldn't really have an effect on a roaring structural fire, but could it momentarily dampen the fire along it's 60 foot X 10 foot path?
Jan 8, 2019 1:39 am
Leth pauses for a moment when Felor falls, but continues on.

Maybe I can throw him a rope once I've got some secure footing on the other side.

He considers as he goes for the jump.

...ooooor not
Last edited January 8, 2019 1:39 am

Rolls

Athletics + Domarc's bardic inspiration - (1d20+4, 1d8)

1d20+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

1d8 : (3) = 3

Jan 8, 2019 5:16 am
Oh dear. This is approaching a "We had to destroy the party to save it" moment.
Jan 8, 2019 6:06 pm
Domarc, I can't think of a spot where aiming Gust of Wind would do more good than harm right now.

Domarc makes it across the floor with a graceful leap to the threshold at the end. Zangua catches his arm and pulls him through.

Mordred circles around the building to rejoin his companions at the front. The flames have found purchase on the holy house's roof; likely the entire structure will be ash by the time dawn breaks. He sees the stricken faces of the villagers gathering around the scene, and they see him too.

The last to attempt escape, Leth falls victim to the progressive failure of the support beams and floorboards. They crumble even as he springs sure-footed toward the doorway, and he plummets to the basement not far from where Felor landed.

Felor sits up, struggling to breathe and see. He hears the soft thud and grunt of Leth's impact and tries to make his way closer, but as he does so, he feels a sudden, red-hot stricture on his upper arm. He turns his head.

The shambling, flame-wreathed form of the priest is beside him, gripping him with a burning hand. The priest's head is on fire, his eyes like yellow coals, painfully bright; his mouth hangs open, retching smoke.

Felor, make a WIS saving throw. The rest of you can take an action now, except for Leth, who is disoriented and needs a moment to recover from the fall.

Rolls

Leth falling damage - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Jan 8, 2019 7:03 pm
Mordred ties one end of his hempen rope to his waist and throws the other end to Zangua and Domarc. Hoping its tight weave will keep it from catching fire for a few moments, he rushes back into the basement to help Felor and Leth.
Jan 8, 2019 7:10 pm
Zangua lashes his end of the rope around his arm and leans against Mordred's weight.
Jan 8, 2019 7:15 pm
Mordred: you'll want to descend from the main doorway; the stairs in the back office are on fire now. Please give me an Athletics or an Acrobatics check, your choice.
Jan 8, 2019 7:27 pm
Before Mordred begins his dash, Domarc will cast Enhance Ability - Cat's Grace on him, and then grab onto the rope to lend his meager strength.
OOC:
Enhance Ability - Cat's Grace: Advantage on Dexterity Checks. Will not take falling damage if falling from twenty feet or less, if they are not incapacitated.
Jan 8, 2019 7:39 pm
Feeling the effects of Domarc's spell overtake him, Mordred leaps from the top of the stairs down into the basement.

Fuck yeah, nat 20.
Last edited January 8, 2019 7:39 pm

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Jan 8, 2019 7:44 pm
Felor stares at the demonic form before him.

Rolls

Wisdom check - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Jan 8, 2019 8:04 pm
Felor's faith steels him against the horrific visage before him. He tries to wrest his arm away from the creature's grip, but it lunges at him with its open, smoking jaws as he pulls away.

Edit: Knife-sharp, searing hot teeth sink into Felor's shoulder.

Leth comes to his senses in time to see Felor trying to drag himself away from the burning form of the priest. A mass of burning timber falls to the basement floor in front of him, sending up a spray of smoke and embers that obscures his view.

Mordred comes down, bouncing once off the wall, rappelling to the basement floor.

All party members can take an action now.

Edit 2: Just to clarify, the office/stairs are on the back side of the holy house. I'm assuming Mordred would have descended from a gap in the flooring (most of it is burning and collapsing at this point) near the main entrance.

Rolls

Aeron bite attack vs Felor - (1d20+9)

(15) + 9 = 24

Bite damage to Felor - (4d6+4)

(4121) + 4 = 12

Jan 8, 2019 8:14 pm
Zangua braces himself, waiting for Mordred and ready to pull when required.
Jan 9, 2019 3:30 am
Since Aeron seems to still be coming after us even though he's currently on fire... I want to try some kind of check to see if it's even affecting him negatively at all. Is it likely he would die if we left him to burn here in this building, or does it seem like he'll probably make it out of this okay? What kind of check should that be?
Jan 9, 2019 9:51 am
Felor grunts at the terriffic pain jolting through his shoulder as he tries to stand and move away from the priest. Gritting his teeth, he says "Fjorgyn... smite this... this aberration!"

Cast Sacred Flame, DC 14
[ +- ]

Rolls

Sacred Flame damage if applicable (radiant) - (2d8)

(52) = 7

Jan 9, 2019 12:16 pm
BullOctorok says:
I'm assuming Mordred would have descended from a gap in the flooring (most of it is burning and collapsing at this point) near the main entrance.
Yes, that's perfect.

"Come with me! I've got a rope!" Mordred shouts at his companions through the inferno. He examines the flames to try and detect the greatest potential for danger.

Mordred moves towards them, ready to attack the priest, if needed.

Consider this a move to as close as possible to the two of them, and a Readied Attack with the +2 dagger, should he come within range.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Readied Attack & Damage - (1d20+8, 1d4+5)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d4+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Sneak Attack Damage (?) - (3d6)

(654) = 15

Jan 9, 2019 4:17 pm
Quote:

Fuck yeah, nat 20.
Mordred says "fuck no, I don't need advantage"

Are the stairs at the back intact? Do they offer a way out?
Jan 9, 2019 4:54 pm
Mordred says "fuck no, I don't need advantage"

I wasn't sure about that - does Enhance Ability give advantage on skill checks that use that attribute, or just on straight attribute checks?
load next

Thread locked