Group chat

Jun 28, 2015 7:50 pm
Please introduce yourselves here. New or experienced player?

Rolls

Test - (1d20+4)

Test 2

Jun 29, 2015 12:36 pm
Hi again, biscuitfiend.

I stopped playing for most of the 90s and 2000s. I skipped 2e entirely and started playing just in time to play a session or two of 3.5 before we switched to Pathfinder. Skipped 4e mostly, and started doing 5e playtests as soon as they started up.
Last edited July 5, 2015 1:02 pm
Jun 29, 2015 2:17 pm
I started RP with Vampire the Masquerade, and I carried that strong emphasis on story into the rest of my tabletop gaming experience. As far as d20 systems, I've played Pathfinder, d20 Modern, 4e for a bit, and briefly ran a 5e campaign for a few months before scheduling broke up my group.
Jun 29, 2015 8:24 pm
You are all far more diverse than me! I started with 5e. Thanks for joining up, I look forward to starting this one for my third time
Jul 2, 2015 5:03 pm
Ok, we have 4 players now. As soon as I have 4 characters submitted, I'm happy to begin (as someone else can drop in along the way)
Jul 2, 2015 5:44 pm
Greetings team. I'd place myself as a medium-experience player. Started playing versions of D&D and Pathfinder about three years ago. Since then have become fully obsessed, trying everything from Dungeonslayers to Hackmaster to Warhammer (Fantasy & 40K) RPGs.
Jul 3, 2015 12:31 am
Greetings everyone! I started tabletop playing with D&D 3.0, and have been playing on and off since around 2001 or so. I have played 3.5, 4.0, Pathfinder, 5e, BESM, Vampire, and Exalted. I also have played in a weekly 5e game for half a year or so. I have never done a play by post style like this, so it should be fun!
Jul 3, 2015 1:15 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Ok, we have 4 players now. As soon as I have 4 characters submitted, I'm happy to begin (as someone else can drop in along the way)
After looking at the game details page, it lists that the "characters per player" is set to 0, so we (or at least I) cannot submit characters.
Jul 3, 2015 3:15 am
Ditto, can't submit a character
Jul 3, 2015 7:44 am
Eh, must be a bug on the site. Happened in my other game. I sorted it
Jul 3, 2015 2:03 pm
Looks to be good! Bard submitted.
Jul 3, 2015 8:16 pm
Sorry team, but I have a wedding to go to this weekend, so I'll be slow in submitting my cleric. I'll try to get it done asap.
Jul 4, 2015 5:00 pm
Hey all. Just started getting back into RPGs late last year after a long absence (almost 30 years). Almost all of the games I've played since then have been on this site. I should have a character ready to go in the next day or two.
Jul 4, 2015 6:12 pm
30 years is a long time to take a break. Welcome back to gaming again! And welcome to the party!
Jul 4, 2015 10:58 pm
Heya szemely, maybe we'll finally get to be in a game together!
Jul 5, 2015 1:04 am
Would be nice to get one out of the intro stage, wouldn't it? :-)
Jul 5, 2015 3:14 pm
I take it games have the tendancy to not last very long? What normally makes them give out before they can really get started?? People just vanish or lose interest?
Jul 5, 2015 6:21 pm
I'm aiming to keep things moving - GP isn't that new and there doesn't seem to have been many games on here. I'm encouraging people from a few facebook groups to come on here - I think maybe the community just needs to grow a bit
Jul 5, 2015 6:34 pm
Akuhei says:
I take it games have the tendancy to not last very long? What normally makes them give out before they can really get started?? People just vanish or lose interest?
I'm not sure what the cause is. I've been in a few that ended before they even get started (the GM just stopped showing up) and quite a few more where the participants seem to have lost interest and just bailed. :-/
Jul 5, 2015 11:09 pm
I've not played in a game yet. Made characters for two or three games that just never took off.
Jul 5, 2015 11:35 pm
Were they homebrew-type games? Could have been casual experiments. Also, I only just realised how to subscribe to forums
Jul 6, 2015 12:17 am
Nah, Numenera and D&D 5e
Jul 6, 2015 1:31 am
I've played pbp on other sites and it's pretty normal for games to fizzle out after a while. People's lives get busy.
Jul 6, 2015 1:32 am
Well, lets see if we cant make this one last a while. We have 4 characters submitted, yes? Are we near ready to start?
Jul 6, 2015 1:38 am
I'm almost there. Should have my character's details flushed out tomorrow evening.
I think Medve is all set to go!
Last edited July 6, 2015 2:21 am
Jul 6, 2015 3:27 am
I'm back. I'll have something submitted soon, sorry for delaying.
Jul 6, 2015 3:25 pm
Salix was born during the worst storm in all recorded history. The elders say the gods themselves were walking that night, but whether or not that is the case, the boy showed an affinity for storms from a very young age. His parents paid little attention to it, and he followed his father's footsteps into the ship-building trade.

He was talented at the work, and would have gladly made a life of it, until the Baron Cuttlefish came to see the progress on his new warship, the kraken's revenge. He brought his daughter Marina with him, and Salix fell completely in love. It was obvious that his feelings were reciprocated. During the next few weeks, they found every opportunity to meet, but there was no way she could ever marry a commoner, even a ship-builder. For the first time, Salix considered another life.

Another storm blew in. Salix stood in the rain, watching the waves breaking furiously against the shore. Thunder and lightning flashed everywhere, and he decided. He would become a man Marina could marry. He would win a title, or enough gold to buy one. The storm would help him....

The next day, he went to see Gundren Rockseeker, who his father had done business with in the past. The dwarf needed some sort of help, and ten gold pieces for a few day's work seemed like a start.
Jul 6, 2015 7:38 pm
Looks like we are done. A few details on character sheets need sorting, e.g. packs need to be broken down at some point, i think one of you has to do personality traits still. More importantly, let's get started. If you could post an 'image' of your characters I'd appreciate it
Jul 6, 2015 9:22 pm
I just have my avatar image:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/dc624e6a95fa27816138d437312a167a/tumblr_nr34nzbjeh1uqklmto1_250.jpg
Jul 6, 2015 11:39 pm
http://orig09.deviantart.net/5150/f/2015/057/1/8/the_tiefling_bard_by_twai-d8jmi3m.png
Jul 7, 2015 7:41 am
Thanks all
Jul 9, 2015 9:25 pm
If most of the action is going to take place during the day then I'm going to have to bail on the game. I can't access this site from work.
Jul 10, 2015 1:15 am
I dont know if a flurry of action today during the day means we will be playing during the day or not. I too have work, though i can still post at lunch and when i have a break. I was hoping for a little more action this evening, but it got quiet instead. Anyway, i'd hate to see anyone leave.
Jul 10, 2015 10:30 am
Bear in mind that this game is set as posting 3 times per week. I've started all my campaigns off a little faster than stated to accumulate interest, but don't worry if you can't post for a day. I post at various times, normally 12-10GMT which is 7-5 US time, which gives you guys the evening to respond if you can (posting ahead of your turn is encouraged if you find that easier)
Jul 10, 2015 5:31 pm
That'll work nicely. I've been left behind in other games due to my limited access during work hours and wanted to make sure the flurry of posts was just due to the excitement of the campaign beginning.
Jul 10, 2015 10:20 pm
I can post most anytime, as I can post from my phone.
Jul 10, 2015 10:55 pm
d20dad says:
I can post most anytime, as I can post from my phone.
I've tried that a few times, just too hard for me to craft an actual posting without screwing something up. Work kind of blows about using your phone while you're supposed to be working as well. I just need to retire.
Aug 14, 2015 4:37 pm
Anyone around? We seem to have lost 4 players!
Aug 15, 2015 10:33 am
I'll delete players to fill the empty spaces over the next few days
Aug 15, 2015 2:43 pm
Sounds good. Medve is getting lonely!
Aug 16, 2015 5:49 am
I'm not gone! Been very hectic work week, will post promptly!
Aug 16, 2015 8:41 am
Welcome back!! Now I wonder where the others are...
Aug 16, 2015 5:08 pm
Hi! When this game started I missed getting in by just a couple of hours, I think! Thanks for accepting me as a replacement player :-)

So it looks like the current party composition is rogue, cleric, druid. I'll have a think about what sort of character I'm making but I'll try not to go too squishy.

Should I read the game threads from the start? I'm thinking NO so I'll only know what my character knows. What do you guys think? Let's see how Biscuitfiend wants me to play this.
Last edited August 16, 2015 5:21 pm
Aug 16, 2015 5:53 pm
It wouldn't be a mistake for you to do so. I would suggest that you were sent down the trail from Neverwinter to join the group after hearing about an ambush site that had only just been reported, or you know Gundren (and that therefore his horse being on the road would mean that he had been ambushed)! We are not even out of the adventure intro so doesn't need to be strenuous :)

I also added some new stat gen methods for new players, (or if you die), so be aware
Aug 17, 2015 8:39 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
So it looks like the current party composition is rogue, cleric, druid. I'll have a think about what sort of character I'm making but I'll try not to go too squishy.
I'm thinking maybe a Dex-based, OotA paladin. Or totem barbarian. Something that hits hard and is connected to nature to keep our druid company. Somehow I'm not feeling ranger here.
Aug 18, 2015 11:46 am
Hey everyone! I'm also happy to be accepted as a replacement character. I hope I can fill the shoes of the great adventurer I am replacing. Is there any specific character-type we are looking for in the party? It seems like we may need a magic user of some sort? Anyone have a desire to RP against any particular type of character?
Aug 18, 2015 12:54 pm
Hi all,

Third replacement player here. Glad to join.

I was thinking of going support, but it seems like the group needs a tank...? I'm open to suggestions.

Mostly, it seems like Jabes, Spectral, and I need to coordinate. :)
Aug 18, 2015 1:39 pm
Whip (hope I can call you that) and Jabes,

I think I'm going to make a Human Wizard. That leaves Cleric/Support and some sort of Tankish Character. If you guys would rather play a Wizard let me know and I'll throw together a half-orc barb or something.
Aug 18, 2015 3:06 pm
Sounds good.

Jabes, if you're amenable, why don't you roll up that Oath of the Ancients paladin. I'll put together a Goliath Barbarian or Fighter. Thoughts?
Aug 18, 2015 5:06 pm
Guys,

The character stats I just rolled are the best I've ever had. This tank is going to be beefy.

After dropping the lowest, but BEFORE race and class bonuses, I'm at 18, 16, 14, 14, 14, 12.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23420524/Screenshot_10%20%282%29.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23420524/Screenshot_11.png
Last edited August 18, 2015 5:07 pm
Aug 18, 2015 5:31 pm
Dang! That makes me wish I rolled stats instead of standard array!
Aug 18, 2015 6:12 pm
Spectralelegy says:
Dang! That makes me wish I rolled stats instead of standard array!
Seriously. I had to post the screenshots so no one would accuse me of cheating. Now, do I put the 18 into strength so I can get a 20 right off the bat? :)
Aug 18, 2015 8:14 pm
You could have easily cheated by repeating the rolls...lol...we believe you, but use the in-forum roller next time
Aug 18, 2015 9:08 pm
Gotcha. I didn't even think about that. Thanks.
Aug 18, 2015 9:39 pm
Holy hell! You know you've just cursed yourself when it comes to the rest of your rolls, right? :-)
Aug 18, 2015 10:40 pm
szemely says:
Holy hell! You know you've just cursed yourself when it comes to the rest of your rolls, right? :-)
These things do have a way of evening themselves out, don't they?
Aug 19, 2015 12:06 am
Hi guys! I proposed my paladin concept because I thought the party still had a cleric. But now that I'm going to have to fill the role of primary healer then maybe I should ditch the paladin and go cleric or bard instead. Two classes I'm not really into. Your thoughts?
Last edited August 19, 2015 12:29 am
Aug 19, 2015 12:37 am
If you're not into the classes then don't play them. Roll up that paladin!!
Aug 19, 2015 2:16 am
As a paladin, you could have a few heals & buffs if you wanted. Or don't. Play how you like; I'm sure we'll be fine.
Aug 19, 2015 11:38 am
Not to overly complicate matters, but I can run a Cleric if we think we need one. I was just trying to find what sort of role the party still needed.
Last edited August 19, 2015 11:39 am
Aug 19, 2015 11:50 am
I think you should all play as gnome bards
Aug 19, 2015 12:06 pm
In my other game I'm a gnome monk. It's actually a really fun combination. :)
Aug 19, 2015 12:33 pm
I know! I'll roll some dice to figure out what type of character I should play.

1,4 - Cleric
2,5 - Wizard
3,6 - Gnome Bard

Rolls

To determine what character type to play. - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Aug 19, 2015 12:34 pm
Cleric it is!
Aug 19, 2015 1:55 pm
Sweet action. Let's get this rolling! (Pun intended.)
Aug 19, 2015 10:55 pm
I'm working on it. Just fleshing out his details right now. ^_^
Aug 21, 2015 4:56 pm
Where are we at here? What do we need to be able to jump in to game play?

I'm excited to get rolling! :)
Aug 21, 2015 7:06 pm
You can approach the hideout if you like, the other 2 players are outside. You saw some owlbears close to the area. You are an envoy of an interested party in Neverwinter, looking for Gundren Rockseeker after word of an ambush on the trail, to see he travels safely
Aug 22, 2015 4:05 am
whipstache says:
Movith approaches the cave entrance... two humans beside him...
Sorry, Whipstache, Arashi has been changed to an elf :-) http://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/713/?p=18238#p18238
Aug 26, 2015 11:28 am
d20dad says:
After finding no suitable trees to climb, Shane will return to the cave looking for Medve.
Haven't any of us newcomers noticed Shane yet?
Aug 26, 2015 11:32 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
d20dad says:
After finding no suitable trees to climb, Shane will return to the cave looking for Medve.
Haven't any of us newcomers noticed Shane yet?
Hint: look below eye level?
Aug 26, 2015 12:36 pm
I've been waiting for Shane to come back into the cave, which doesn't seem to have happened yet. I'm sure it will next time d20dad posts.
Aug 26, 2015 1:11 pm
whipstache says:
I've been waiting for Shane to come back into the cave, which doesn't seem to have happened yet. I'm sure it will next time d20dad posts.
Depending on how you read this, I think Shane may already have.
d20dad says:
As for leaving him behind, I realize that's my fault. I'd misread and thought Medve hadn't mentioned Shane yet, and was actually waiting for either Szemely or Biscuitfiend to put him back in the scene. But going back I found this:
szemely says:
"While I and another were investigating this cave, it appears that the rest of our party was taken away. You haven't seen any others, have you?"
Last edited August 26, 2015 1:12 pm
Aug 26, 2015 1:20 pm
My interpretation is that Shane ran off looking for a tree to climb as to avoid the wolves. Since then, I don't think he's actually arrived. If he has, he certainly hasn't said anything. I'm thinking someone needs to leave a message for him to follow us up the pile of rubble.
Aug 26, 2015 1:44 pm
Or we can say we're merely scouting ahead up to the top of the slope and waiting to regroup there. I hope d20dad hasn't fallen through the cracks like the players we replaced!
Aug 26, 2015 1:49 pm
There are always more owlbears!

You can just go on without him, I assume he'll be back before combat or make some kind of dramatic entrance :)
Aug 26, 2015 2:28 pm
Good Lord, I can't climb a pile of rubble even with +6 to Athletics.
Aug 26, 2015 3:13 pm
Actually - the DC is 10 so you made it up a little way. Arashi is blocking the way though! +6 also means it is impossible to fall backwards except by others falling on top of you. Even if you roll a 1
Aug 26, 2015 3:35 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
...it is impossible to fall backwards except by others falling on top of you...
Let's have none of that. LOL! How wide is this chimney?
Aug 26, 2015 4:21 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Biscuitfiend says:
...it is impossible to fall backwards except by others falling on top of you...
Let's have none of that. LOL! How wide is this chimney?
Just enough for one small or medium creature to ascend - around 2-3 ft at the very top

Anyway, the dice will decide your fate. Sometimes they are kind...
Aug 27, 2015 3:31 pm
So, this is my first time in a PbP game. Now that initiative has been determined, what do we need to do? I guess we take turns in initiative order and go one at a time?
Aug 27, 2015 3:45 pm
I run my games basically by the book. You can post ahead of time with your intended actions, attack rolls and so on and I will 'execute' your posts when I come to you in the IN order. You can even post a turn or two ahead. You can also change your decided action last minute.

Most times I've run combat on here, it runs fine without any stalls (at least no more than non-combat play).
Aug 28, 2015 12:48 pm
I suddenly feel pretty stupid for not taking "spare the dying" cantrip.
Aug 28, 2015 12:57 pm
Spectralelegy says:
I suddenly feel pretty stupid for not taking "spare the dying" cantrip.
How about Spare the Batshit Crazy? Because that's what Arashi is! :-D
Aug 30, 2015 8:36 pm
What's your dm policy on using the shield to attack?

Seems like they took any references to the shield as an offensive weapon out of the PHB. Can I use it to attack? Does it count as a light weapon so that I can make an attack using my bonus action? What kind of damage would it do?
Aug 30, 2015 9:23 pm
See the shield master feat. Otherwise, same as unarmed strike, and you can push/shove/dodge as normal using your action. Mechanically you need the feat for interesting stuff
Aug 30, 2015 9:28 pm
Okay, I'll make my post in a minute.

EDIT: I guess if I ever get disarmed I could always use it as an improvised weapon...?
Last edited August 30, 2015 10:13 pm
Aug 30, 2015 10:28 pm
Woof... Ice rolled 8 d20s so far; only 2 have been 10 or higher. I'm bobs to hit something soon.
Aug 31, 2015 1:36 pm
If I dash on my turn, does that use up my other non-movement action?
Aug 31, 2015 1:49 pm
Yeah. Each turn you can move & act. If you dash (move twice your normal movement speed) you are substituting your action for a second movement. Move + act becomes move + move.

You could still theoretically use a bonus action if you have something that fits that category, but nothing that's a standard action.
Aug 31, 2015 1:56 pm
I was going to use a cantrip as I ran toward the rock chimney thing again to give Shane a hand, but I think that the guidance cantrip takes 1 full action. Drat.
Aug 31, 2015 2:03 pm
If Shane also doesn't make it up this turn, it's probably a good idea to take two turns to climb the rubble (while giving Shane a boost). Rolling at disadvantage is tricky without a big boost. It might take two turns, but the odds are a lot higher that you'll both be up by that point... but if you keep trying to dash, it might take longer that two. :)
Aug 31, 2015 2:05 pm
Yeah, I've basically decided the same thing, but I was hoping it'd be worth it this time...dang my gambler's intuition. Was also thinking about how Egan would've played it...which is to say...he's committed and set in his intent, but embarrassment might be enough to shake him out of that one.
Aug 31, 2015 2:08 pm
Roleplaying is always an acceptable reason. Ha... he can always save face by pretending he's staying behind to help the little guy. ;-)
Aug 31, 2015 2:08 pm
Exactly my thoughts! lol!
Aug 31, 2015 10:57 pm
This climb will be the death of Shane...
Aug 31, 2015 10:58 pm
I think it might be time...to...throw the halfling. How do I throw the halfling up this stupid thing?
Aug 31, 2015 11:08 pm
Just like throwing him down the thing, only in the other direction. :-)
Sep 1, 2015 12:28 am
Make a ranged improvised attack?
Sep 2, 2015 10:08 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Arashi gains inspiration, for that last save!
YES! Woohoo!
Sep 2, 2015 12:54 pm
Son of a bugbear! I cannot hit anything! With +6! Raagh!

Also, I'm gonna die. This is a pretty poor opening fight for the goliath.
Sep 2, 2015 12:55 pm

Sep 2, 2015 12:56 pm
Also, sorry for the double post. Did you know that there's no "delete post" option?
Sep 2, 2015 3:24 pm
whipstache says:

Yeah, that was a pretty embarrassing intro fight for the "Paladin of the Tempest" as well! :-P
Sep 2, 2015 3:39 pm
If I could get up this rock chimney...

These die rollers are rigged! Rigged I say!
Sep 2, 2015 8:02 pm
Looks like we might be headed for a first encounter TPK.
Sep 2, 2015 8:06 pm
Medve was doing fine until all these new people showed up! LoL!! :-)
Sep 3, 2015 1:56 pm
Ok, I didn't intend for Arashi's vision to be so grimdark but it took on a life of its own and practically wrote itself. This is why he fights like he has a death wish. As for his vision in the ruins while he was a hermit: was he actually granted foreknowledge of a cataclysm that might threaten the world? Was he perhaps shown a way to stop it? Or are these nothing more than the ravings of a madman?
Sep 3, 2015 4:18 pm
Wahoo! I rolled at least a 10! Wahoo! Here's hoping this is an upward trend for me...

Get it? Upward...? Because it's climbing? Ha?

I'm so sorry...
Sep 4, 2015 1:04 am
Nat 20!
Sep 4, 2015 6:49 am
Hey BF, can we have an updated map? Arashi isn't taking the AoO but if the enemy backs are turned he may attempt to stealthily move to stabilize Movith & Medve. Thanks! :-)
Sep 4, 2015 12:03 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Arashi (11, prone, hiding)
Shouldn't Arashi only have 6hp? Nat 20 on the death save gave him 1hp, then LoH gave him 5hp.
Sep 4, 2015 12:40 pm
I believe 11 is the initiative
Sep 4, 2015 1:45 pm
Yes, number is IN score
Sep 4, 2015 1:53 pm
*facepalm* LOL of course it is!
Sep 4, 2015 2:38 pm
Arashi is up - I've given you a map

Looks like it's down to clever thinking and dice rolls. TPK or not TPK? That is the question...
Sep 4, 2015 2:47 pm
Bad enough that I'm dying, now a gobo is rummaging through my stuff. I like my stuff!! :-)
Sep 4, 2015 7:55 pm
Quote:
Stealth - (1d20+3)
( 2 ) + 3 = 5
Uh oh...
Sep 4, 2015 7:58 pm
I'm going away for the weekend, so will be unable to post for 48hrs. NPC Arashi if necessary, I guess. He's really just stalling until Egan & Shane make it up the chute. If all hell breaks again Arashi will try to finish Klarg.
Sep 6, 2015 2:55 pm
Well I'm back from my trip. Just waiting to see now if Arashi gets caught attempting to stabilize Movith. That or Egan and Shane pop up.
Last edited September 6, 2015 2:56 pm
Sep 6, 2015 8:06 pm
Just waiting for Shane. Then klarg gets all smashy-smashy!
Sep 7, 2015 2:29 pm
C'mon seriously!? What a waste of a roll...and a spell slot.
Sep 7, 2015 3:01 pm
Yeah, we can't frakking hit this stupid guy.
Sep 7, 2015 3:04 pm
I'm hoping that he'll trip over my dead body and knock himself unconscious, but I'm not sure what I'd need to roll in order to do that. :-)
Sep 7, 2015 4:08 pm
Guiding bolt would have been serious overkill...he only has a few HP left!!
Sep 7, 2015 4:14 pm
I just need him dead. He keeps one-shotting everyone! Yikes!
Last edited September 7, 2015 4:15 pm
Sep 7, 2015 4:51 pm
I am currently wielding two swords. I want to hop up onto the chest and switch to my longbow. Can I do that or am I restricted in any way? Can I swap freely or as part of my movement? Does the Dual Wielder feat factor in? If I manage to do this, does the chest count as high ground? High ground mattered in 3e. Does it matter in 5e?
Sep 7, 2015 5:16 pm
Do those marks next to Medve mean he's failed TWO saving throws? Someone needs to stabilize him, stat!
Sep 7, 2015 5:22 pm
whipstache says:
Do those marks next to Medve mean he's failed TWO saving throws? Someone needs to stabilize him, stat!
Yeah, would've done it if I hadn't gotten caught stabilizing Movith. Egan is our only hope at this point. I might be able to take Klarg out if I get a lucky roll but with only 6hp I'm running on fumes against the goblin and the wolf.
Sep 7, 2015 5:33 pm
Medve has inspiration anyway - it's all on the dice and egan's last slot
Sep 7, 2015 5:49 pm
Wait...2 fails? Snap. I shoulda just stabilized instead of attacked. I didn't catch that. :-(
Sep 7, 2015 6:11 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I am currently wielding two swords. I want to hop up onto the chest and switch to my longbow. Can I do that or am I restricted in any way? Can I swap freely or as part of my movement? Does the Dual Wielder feat factor in? If I manage to do this, does the chest count as high ground? High ground mattered in 3e. Does it matter in 5e?
So anyway what are my options?
Sep 7, 2015 6:54 pm
I missed that. You can only sheathe/draw weapons once per round. You could sheathe both with the feat, but be unable to draw a bow.

It doesn't count as high ground, and there is no bonus for it in 5e! The chest is also about 5ft away so you would suffer opportunity attack

Your best bet is to drop the two swords (dropping is free in the action economy) which would allow you to draw your bow this turn
Sep 7, 2015 8:47 pm
Holy shit. The dice have spoken.
Sep 7, 2015 9:11 pm
Uh...

So, um...what should I do? I'm kinda at a loss at this point.
Sep 7, 2015 9:27 pm
It's up to you, man. If you manage to heal a Medve &/or Shane then we might still survive this. It's actually a miracle we survived this long after Arashi pulled a Leeroy Jenkins!
Last edited September 7, 2015 9:30 pm
Sep 7, 2015 11:10 pm
Originally I was hoping to get one more round in, disengage, and see if I could get some of them to follow me up to where the wolf came from and Thunderwave a few of them from there. If I can get up before dying I may still try to do that, although it doesn't look good.
Sep 9, 2015 2:51 am
So.…how far away am I from the two dying characters at this point? Can I see them if I pop my head up the rock chimney?
Sep 9, 2015 2:58 am
Oh...also...can I try to grab Klarg and Jump backward down the chimney? Maybe pulling him down with me? Yes? Maybe he'll get stuck? Giving people advantage to finish him off or something? Maybe?

Granted...I'll be stuck below him too...and wouldn't be able to heal anyone until the bug bear is dislodged...
Last edited September 9, 2015 2:59 am
Sep 9, 2015 6:50 am
Spectralelegy says:
Oh...also...can I try to grab Klarg and Jump backward down the chimney? Maybe pulling him down with me? Yes? Maybe he'll get stuck? Giving people advantage to finish him off or something? Maybe?

Granted...I'll be stuck below him too...and wouldn't be able to heal anyone until the bug bear is dislodged...
That would be a great idea if there was anyone left to use the advantage. But everyone is unconcious. There's no one to grant advantage to, actually, other than Arashi, who has only 6hp left and who will have a goblin and a wolf to deal with before getting to Klarg.
Last edited September 9, 2015 8:21 am
Sep 9, 2015 9:25 am
Medve is 10ft on your left. You can see him through Klarg's legs, and he's in a bad way!

You can try to pull klarg down the tight chimney at disadvantage using athletics. I also urge all players to remember their inspiration point! Don't leave it unused...haha...
Sep 9, 2015 10:35 am
Wasn't my inspiration point already used on my last death save?
Sep 9, 2015 11:06 am
Yes, so far you're the only player to have used it, so there might be hope (actually, who has it?)
Sep 9, 2015 11:19 am
Let's see some Nat20's on them death saves, yo! :-D
Sep 9, 2015 12:29 pm
As far as I know, Arashi was the only person to have received an inspiration point thus far... at least since the three of us joined.
Sep 9, 2015 12:53 pm
well...Medve has a few HP now...but I can't believe I rolled a 1. What's with this dice roller?
Sep 9, 2015 2:03 pm
Selûne be praised! :-D But yeah, the RNG is evil!
Last edited September 9, 2015 2:03 pm
Sep 9, 2015 3:10 pm
Arashi bites the dust again! Someone take Klarg out! GO, TEAM! :-D
Last edited September 9, 2015 3:11 pm
Sep 9, 2015 10:27 pm
Not seeing the maps any where (the posts are there, they're just empty posts). If I remember correctly this is a small hallway where Ripper came from. How close is that to where I'm at? It'll cost me 17' to stand and then what I'd like to do is run into that hallway as far as I can and try to get some of these baddies to chase me. Once I'm done moving I would take a Ready action and hit the first baddy that gets near me with a thunder wave (thinking that the hallway would shield the down PCs from taking any damage).

Does that sounds feasible?
Sep 10, 2015 12:47 am
The image hosting service is down atm...

Can be done - ripper is south in the room, klarg is west, so north entrance is free, and you are just by it
Sep 10, 2015 9:35 am
Wow. The dice aren't very kind to you guys. It's a good thing Klarg wasn't nice to his goblins
Sep 10, 2015 11:02 am
So, now it's just Egan vs. the wolf?
Sep 10, 2015 11:44 am
Indeed - and a goblin. Both parties have their own intentions though
Sep 10, 2015 1:12 pm
Egan vs. the wolf and a goblin without any spell slots...death, carnage all around. For Selûne!
Sep 10, 2015 2:16 pm
Well.…fudge.

I'm just gonna keep doing this, I guess?
Sep 10, 2015 2:23 pm
So, do we all have inspiration, or was that just Arashi, who (already used it...and is now dead...ugh)?
Sep 10, 2015 2:32 pm
Can I try to stabilize Medve, or will that not be possible, seeing as he's under Klarg? Also...is the Goblin still there, or is he off pillaging treasure?
Sep 10, 2015 2:35 pm
It won't take any extra effort to stabilise Medve. Perhaps removing Klarg is the first step though!

The goblin is nowhere in sight at this point
Sep 10, 2015 2:38 pm
I guess the real question is.…how many turns would that take me (assuming success). Since Medve is 1 strike away from death (and 2 from stabilizing), I'm trying to see if I can save the poor soul.
Sep 10, 2015 4:00 pm
1 action DC10 medicine check as normal :)
Sep 10, 2015 8:43 pm
Go Egan!!
Sep 10, 2015 9:11 pm
Wow! I thought we were all goners for sure! Good job!
Sep 10, 2015 10:01 pm
Ok...I am granting Egan inspiration for heroism...I think Arashi deserves it for bravery but he doesn't need it anymore!
Sep 11, 2015 6:58 am
Quote:
Jabes...looks like it's time to roll up a new one!
Aww...I really liked Arashi! But that's the way it goes :-) Whew, I've never written a death scene before. That was my first.

Ok, time to roll up a new one. Still deciding which chargen method to use. What's the current party composition again?
Last edited September 11, 2015 7:29 am
Sep 11, 2015 7:40 am
We're doing well. Cleric, rogue, druid, barbarian
Sep 11, 2015 7:45 am
You should be honoured - Arashi is my first character kill :p I liked him too but I think he secretly had a deathwish. Nice ending also
Sep 11, 2015 11:06 am
Agreed! Great post.

I liked Arashi. And Movith will mourn once he wakes up and realizes Arashi has died.
Sep 11, 2015 1:03 pm
So...I've never been the only person left conscious in the middle of a cave w/o any heals left. Is this where we take a short rest? Everyone rolls a hit die to regain some HP? I guess I could dump some Healing Pots down peoples' throats, but that's only 2.
Sep 11, 2015 2:52 pm
Thanks, you guys! Yeah Arashi most definitely had a death wish! Both fueled and tempered by his delusions ;-)
Sep 11, 2015 3:54 pm
After falling unconscious, the PCs will wake up in 1-4 hours and can only gain HP once that time is up, unless by magical means. You could use the potions, but the party members would be 50gp each in your debt!
Sep 12, 2015 6:51 pm
So what are my other options? I have 2 healing pots. That can bring back 2 party members. Is the 3rd SoL then? Do I just declare we're taking a rest to start the healing process? Forgive me, I'm very rusty and don't have my PHB on me atm. I also don't want the group just sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for me to do something.
Sep 13, 2015 3:12 am
In 1-4 hours the others will start to wake up (and we'll have 1HP a piece) unless you pour some of the healing stuff down our throats. Could just stand guard until we all wake up. Medve still has a spell slot left and would happily cast a cure wounds on one of the others when he is awake. (Forgot to mark his usage of Thunderwave).
Last edited September 13, 2015 3:26 am
Sep 13, 2015 3:57 am
Drat. I thought I had a plan to get us up earlier. 1 HP? Yeesh.
Sep 13, 2015 11:48 am
There are sometimes creative solutions available (Herbalism kit is great) but you'll have to figure those out by trial and error.

You've only cleared 2 rooms so far, bear that in mind...I wonder where those owlbears are from?
Sep 14, 2015 9:40 pm
Is Medve back and kicking then?
Sep 14, 2015 10:35 pm
Indeed! And possibly at l2
Sep 14, 2015 10:41 pm
He's 50XP short. Won't be long though!
Sep 15, 2015 1:28 am
Biscuitfiend says:
As Otto reaches the top of the chimney, he sees the warm glow of a fire flickering off the rocks.

(This isn't really underdark by any stretch, but I'll let you use it since it matches your character!)
OOC: Yeah, I never really intended for Otto to be an expert on The Underdark specifically. I only chose that from the terrain list because it was the closest thing to what I did intend: an expert on caves, dungeons, and underground tunnels. Maybe should rename the favored terrain to something else?

Update: Otto's favored terrain has been renamed "caves & tombs"
Last edited September 15, 2015 12:24 pm
Sep 15, 2015 12:27 pm
Wow, Whipstache, that was very moving! :-) So Movith now carries Tatsumaki? Will he wield it himself or does he intend to retun it to Arashi's village or something? Very cool!

Where is Otto now exactly? He hasn't climbed yet, has he?
Last edited September 15, 2015 1:11 pm
Sep 15, 2015 8:34 pm
Up the chimney, but not out top yet!
Sep 15, 2015 10:15 pm
He hasn't decided what to do with it yet, but he knew how important it was to Arashi, so he couldn't just leave it. We'll have to see what happens. :)
Sep 16, 2015 6:18 pm
Quote:
You could use the potions, but the party members would be 50gp each in your debt!
Don't you worry about that! Egan is a healer, but his work doesn't come for free. ;-) He'll seek balance when he feels a bit less threatened. He did just have a bugbear trying to play whack-a-clerick a few minutes ago and was surrounded by bodies. He's not quite as courageous as he'd like to think he is.
Last edited September 16, 2015 6:19 pm
Sep 17, 2015 1:14 pm
With four of us now awake, can we take a short rest and roll some hit die? That should give us a chance to get everyone awake, too, right?
Sep 17, 2015 1:51 pm
You must finish the rest to roll the hit die - once you choose to start the rest then other things may happen in that time, depending on the circumstances.

Shane looks pretty out of it!
Sep 17, 2015 2:07 pm
Quote:
He hasn't decided what to do with it yet, but he knew how important it was to Arashi, so he couldn't just leave it. We'll have to see what happens. :)
I like this. This seems appropriate. Well done!
Sep 21, 2015 2:25 pm
Did we get a chance to roll some hit-dice before the goblins show up?
Sep 21, 2015 4:42 pm
No - the rest never went to completion. The goblins arrived in 10m
Sep 22, 2015 12:01 am
How does inspiration work? I know it gives me the ability to roll again or something? Do I get to find out if my initial roll is successful before using it?

If not, I'd like to use it now to try to improve my intimidation roll.
Sep 22, 2015 12:14 am
Spend it to gain advantage, even if you've already rolled the die. You can also counteract disadvantage
Sep 22, 2015 12:26 am
Ha, so much for that Inspiration being useful. :)
Sep 22, 2015 1:16 am
That's some pretty darn inspired roleplay though! :) *applause* Seriously!
Last edited September 22, 2015 1:17 am
Sep 28, 2015 6:36 pm
What's our marching order here? Single file in cramped quarters we might actually be able to put these guys down because they won't be able to gang up on us. Then again that might also mean only the party members front and rear will be able to engage.
Sep 30, 2015 7:27 pm
I don't want to monopolize the action. I can respond if everyone wants, but I'm happy to give space if anyone else wants to engage these gerblins.

Also, how do we feel about the ten gold? I'm inclined to call his bluff; I think he'd let us out without us giving money, but what do y'all think? (I also have very little cash, so i wouldn't be able to chip in a lot if we decided to pay the ransom).
Sep 30, 2015 9:55 pm
Medve has the some gold he can put forward. I don't think most of the PCs have recovered fully from the last fight put Medve will swing his staff around if it comes to that.
Oct 1, 2015 12:22 am
Movith has done a great job so far! Otto's personality is more wait and see anyway. So go ahead, Whipstache! :-)
Oct 2, 2015 1:10 pm
Apologies to all - my other half has been in hospital all week and so I haven't been able to keep up on here - will resume shortly. Thanks
Oct 2, 2015 2:01 pm
Biscuit,

No worries man! Take care of what's important. We're just here for fun, no stressing out. I've been taking care of many, many work emergencies the past 2 weeks, so I too am sorry for my lack of participation.

Though...Egan is quite taken w/ the idea of being a new Goblin Chief.
Oct 4, 2015 2:43 pm
Sorry for the Megillah. I'm learning that I'm a storyteller/actor type player. The roleplaying is my favorite part.

My personality lends me to go, go, go, so if I start taking over too much, please, please, feel free to tell me to back off. I don't want to take center stage to the point where it's costing other people fun.
Oct 4, 2015 4:17 pm
Geez, biscuit. I just read back, sorry to hear about your partner in the hospital. Hope they get soon. :(
Oct 5, 2015 3:11 pm
So, maybe I missed something. Is Yeemik up on the second level with the human? He's not on the ground floor with the rest of us?
Oct 5, 2015 5:27 pm
Correct - 10ft up
Oct 5, 2015 5:38 pm
Hmm, okay. I thought for sure the intimidation roll would get him to agree to be friends with us...

Group? What do y'all want to do? Movith honestly doesn't care about Sildar, but if the group wants to pay and take him with us, that's good too. I imagine we have some good-aligned characters who wouldn't want him murdered by gerblins.
Oct 5, 2015 6:32 pm
Do we know who Sildar is?
Oct 5, 2015 10:22 pm
Maybe Sildar has information about whoever the hell we're looking for. If we fight it'll be tough I think, but I could always throw Shane at them. :-)
Oct 5, 2015 10:57 pm
I haven't been here the whole time, but this is the first time I've heard of Sildar.
Oct 6, 2015 4:29 am
OMG I didn't realize I'm the only one who recognized the name! Sildar was Gundren's armed escort when they were ambushed. You should find mention of him on the Game Details text or in the 1st post on the game thread.

Funny that my character is the one PC that shouldn't recognize the name Sildar (which is why I've been playing him to take his cues from the others)
Last edited October 6, 2015 2:21 pm
Oct 6, 2015 10:11 am
Oh, well, that certainly changes things. :)

In that case, we'd better pay and rescue him, yeah?
Oct 6, 2015 11:43 pm
szemely says:
Maybe Sildar has information about whoever the hell we're looking for. If we fight it'll be tough I think, but I could always throw Shane at them. :-)
Throwing the Halfling is always a valid strategy.
Oct 7, 2015 9:56 am
Throw the halfling, 1 action, athletics check. DC=number of feet, disadvantage in darkness and +5DC without a 10ft run-up...also a very good way to gain inspiration!
Oct 12, 2015 3:11 pm
Well played, Whipstache! Very well played! :-)
Oct 12, 2015 3:41 pm
I think Movith is pretty serious about coming back and clearing this cave out at some point. In a very short time he's grown to really hate these goblins.

Also, he's promised Otto he would help him find his treasure, after all. :)
Oct 13, 2015 1:27 pm
Noted - I wonder if goblins can tame Owlbears? Find out at level 4 :p
Oct 14, 2015 1:19 pm
I'm trying to get us to a safe place where we can resuscitate Shane. I feel bad that d20dad has had to sit out for so long. :(
Oct 14, 2015 3:06 pm
whipstache says:
I'm trying to get us to a safe place where we can resuscitate Shane. I feel bad that d20dad has had to sit out for so long. :(
Yeah, me too!
Oct 14, 2015 9:59 pm
And Medve's getting tired of hauling him around. :-)
Oct 14, 2015 10:15 pm
Damn. Shane is still out! He begins to stir on your travels...
Oct 19, 2015 12:27 pm
Sorry again everyone. I've been MIA, things have gotten crazy on my end. Good things though! Getting married this week, so things are a little nuts-o. Please don't kick me from the party! Biscuit, if I'm not responsive enough to keep the story going for now, please don't hesitate to move for me.

Here's his mental state: Egan is a bit traumatized by the bugbear pounding, he just wants to leave. He's not forgotten about having to use expensive healing pots though. He does feel some camaraderie with those from the cave as they showed they were willing to do what it takes. He's more concerned with Shane than Sildar, he doesn't know a thing about him.
Oct 19, 2015 12:29 pm
Congrats, Spectral! I think a wedding is pretty damn good excuse to miss a couple days of online D&D play. :)
Oct 19, 2015 12:33 pm
Thanks! I'm pretty excited. I thought so too, I just don't want Egan to go the way of the ninja-owlbear and leave you guys without a Cleric/Wolf-slayer.
Oct 19, 2015 12:39 pm
Congrats, Spectral! :-D
Oct 19, 2015 2:40 pm
No way, I wont kick you out (but thanks for letting me know). Congratulations. Weddings are mental and you probably have a lot of prep, so I won't expect too much from you at this time!
Oct 19, 2015 9:52 pm
Congrats!! :-)
Oct 28, 2015 11:52 am
Medve and Shane are from the original group, aren't they? Wouldn't they recognize their own wagon? Or is it not the same wagon?
Oct 28, 2015 1:01 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Medve and Shane are from the original group, aren't they? Wouldn't they recognize their own wagon? Or is it not the same wagon?
I was thinking the same thing. I've been hoping Shane or Medve would recognize their wagon, so we could use it to travel the rest of the way under (relatively more) safety.
Oct 28, 2015 9:25 pm
Shane kind of went into hiding when Otto motioned that something was moving and Medve is kind of shielding him at the moment. Not sure he can even see the thing.
Oct 28, 2015 11:22 pm
It's the same wagon. I was just seeing who was paying attention ;)
Nov 30, 2015 6:19 pm
I feel like I've got the information I need out of the goblin. What do we want to do with him now?

Movith would be okay with killing him, but I think Movith would be more inclined to bring him with us, and turn him in to the authorities in Phandalin so they could come clear out this goblin establishment.

What do y'all think?
Dec 3, 2015 10:07 am
The goblin could be a great blessing or a great curse. Sildar has a point too. Cover your bases if you decide to take him!
Dec 19, 2015 3:26 am
I'm going to be absolutely slammed over the weekend working on an epic Star Wars - The Force Awakens birthday cake. Won't be able to post, sorry!
Jan 1, 2016 4:15 am
Otto isn't trying to short the innkeep. His intention is to buy a modest room for himself and a meal for everyone. He expects the others to each make own arrangements for lodging :-)
Jan 1, 2016 12:32 pm
My apologies, for a halfling he ain't the crispiest leaf in the snuffbox!
Feb 18, 2016 12:39 am
Are we still going here or has it kind of died off?
Feb 18, 2016 10:26 am
Biscuitfiend is currently dealing with some RL stuff. I imagine we'll start right back up when he comes back. :-)
Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm
Hi all, sorry to disappoint you all. I've decided to fold all my games because of life I guess! I may be back in the future and I wish you all the best. It was fun playing here with you all :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.