OOC Megathread!

Nov 6, 2015 9:04 am
After asking for OOC only posts to be kept in a non-existent thread, I thought maybe I should create the thread!
Nov 10, 2015 12:17 am
Whooo-eee! I am rolling some duds today! That's gotta be my third 2 or 1 in a row!
Nov 11, 2015 5:56 am
A suggestion for a future villain, calling out revenge on Valinor:
"I'll get you, Valinor, and your little lights, too!"
Nov 11, 2015 10:48 pm
*shakes fist in air*
Nov 12, 2015 8:23 am
I'm loving all this dwarven slapstick. "Now that's comedy!"

Suddenly, I want to make Time Bandits references, about "little people, hitting each other!" even though none of that has happened yet. But who knows? It might! All we need is a sausage and a baby.

"That's the way to do a DEX save!"
"Oh no it isn't!"
"Oh yes it is!"
Nov 12, 2015 8:30 am
By the way, is Xasu an automaton, following along behind us, has he vanished mysteriously, did he make his excuses and leave, or did he just not come down the stairs with us?

This'll be pretty hilarious without a heavy combat guy - we're got two clerics, a druid, a sorcerer, and a rogue.
Nov 12, 2015 9:24 am
I think at this point he's lagging behind, I've sent Biscuit a note but if I don't hear from him by the weekend I'm going to recruit a replacement.
Nov 12, 2015 9:48 am
Eithne also headed straight for the corridor, and possibly entered it before Ohica did.
Nov 12, 2015 9:54 am
Continuity errors in my descriptions are almost guaranteed, as I occasionally try and slam out a post before going to bed, or before I run off to do something, just to keep the game moving.

The best solution is to do as you've done with your post, 'realign' the details of the plot by assuming that the GM descriptions/summaries of action are not 100% complete.
Nov 12, 2015 10:02 am
It's all good! D&D is, at its heart, collaborative storytelling after all. :-)
Nov 12, 2015 10:03 am
Where's the like button... :)
Nov 12, 2015 5:25 pm
Quote:
Valinar follows the rest of the party, humming tunelessly and making the lights dance for his amusement.
"Dance! Dance, I said!"

and

"Number three, I'm just not feeling it. You're still a little slow on that pirouette. OK, everybody, let's take it from the top because number three can't get it together. Here we go: one-two-three-four, one-two-three..."
Last edited November 12, 2015 5:26 pm
Nov 12, 2015 5:33 pm
http://pic.jpgdump.com/12585.jpg

Also, I will post in a bit (need to bike home)
Nov 12, 2015 5:36 pm
"Try more gum!"
Nov 12, 2015 5:38 pm
I'm having a lot of fun with Valinar's broken mind :)
Nov 15, 2015 12:27 am
Does the pool of green slime fill the passageway, or is it possible to skirt around it?
Nov 15, 2015 12:52 am
Says it stretches the length of the hallway, unfortunately. Wanna attack it?
Nov 15, 2015 2:08 am
Lantern oil + torch? :-D But nah, that would only tale out a small patch. Climb checks? Iffy. Flight? Nope. I wish Eithne had prepared Shape Water so she could freeze it.
Last edited November 15, 2015 2:11 am
Nov 15, 2015 6:22 pm
Hum. I guess we may have to come back when we've leveled, or taken a long rest to switch our spell selections.
Nov 15, 2015 6:24 pm
I've got Sacred Flame, but IC I am not familiar with green slime. :)
Nov 17, 2015 9:05 pm
Waiting to find out if the Sacred Flame did anything to the slime before I act.
Nov 17, 2015 9:11 pm
Oh! I hadn't even realized that happened. If you edit a post to include more details, post here to let me know. I subscribe to threads and so sometimes I see the thread as soon as a post is made. So if you make an edit more than 5-10 minutes after you make a post, definitely post here or else I'm not likely to see it.
Nov 17, 2015 9:12 pm
Alternatively, you can just make a second post. In general, that's probably the best course of action.
Nov 17, 2015 9:12 pm
I was wondering if you had perhaps missed it :)
Can't hurt to do a quick "bump" every now and then
Nov 18, 2015 1:17 am
Point taken. I will do multiple posts in future, and not try to clean up my typos after posting or insert a reference to someone else's near-simultaneous post, as I did here.
Nov 18, 2015 1:18 am
On another note...

...can I be the mapper? Playing these AD&D modules is making me nostalgic for drawing a map of the dungeon. Would anyone mind if I did that, given that I might occasionally ask for more detailed description of the dimensions of things?
Nov 18, 2015 1:19 am
Please do be the mapper, I am terrible at it and it needs to be done :)
Nov 18, 2015 4:03 am
I loves me some maps!!
Nov 18, 2015 7:13 am
*Passes the pencil and grid paper and to Spaceseeker* :-D
Nov 18, 2015 7:34 am
You can clean up typos, just don't insert responses to posts after yours, or add new actions. Just make new posts for that (even if that means double-posting).

As you plan to map, I'll keep that in mind with the descriptions. Feel free to make a "dungeon map thread" and put links to your maps in it.
Nov 18, 2015 9:29 am
I've made an attempt to map what we have so far, but the scanner won't be available until morning, as my wife is preparing for her Industrial Revolution Arts & Literature class now.
Nov 18, 2015 9:53 am
Lovely! I've tried to correct some possible false beliefs in my latest post about the shape of the dungeon (if you're not mapping these details don't matter, but if you are East and North East are hugely different!). Also, sometimes as I narrate dungeons I feel like a MUD

The hallway forks here. One fork goes north, the other east for twenty feet then south. From here you can go North or East...
>
Nov 20, 2015 12:48 am
>brief

>E

>S

>look room
Nov 20, 2015 12:54 am
I'm fully expecting a trap, and had a long in-character bit of dialog I was planning to deliver about empty dead-end rooms, and how they probably mean that they contain a secret door, but also have traps, but Tolvaj entering the room circumvented Ohica's long-windedness. Probably by now, everyone in the party tries to do what they can to keep Ohica from starting one of her long monologues...

...but the price? Possibly springing a trap.

ZAP!
Nov 20, 2015 1:56 am
Tolvaj isn't the brightest knife in the basket.
Nov 20, 2015 2:07 am
Well, he might be lit up pretty soon!
Nov 22, 2015 11:29 am
I suspect there's some sort of pattern or order to the globes but Eithne probably can't communicate this concept (if it even occurs to her). Unsuprisingly the big boys are all for smashing stuff. Don't we have any problem solving types among the PC's? :-D
Nov 22, 2015 4:58 pm
No other apparent doors, though. Each globe has a key, so I'm thinking that unless someone stumbles upon a secret portal, those keys are for the door we just came in from.

Of course, I'm also thinking that we probably have a limited number of tries before something terrible happens. :)
Nov 24, 2015 7:01 pm
Eithine can only draw the club or shield if she also is going to attack (you get one free 'object interaction' per round, with additional interactions consuming your action). I take it she'll want the club (and will draw the shield next round).
Nov 24, 2015 7:03 pm
Candi says:
Eithine can only draw the club or shield if she also is going to attack (you get one free 'object interaction' per round, with additional interactions consuming your action). I take it she'll want the club (and will draw the shield next round).
And donning a shield takes your action
Nov 24, 2015 7:07 pm
Candi says:
Oh ok. No shield then :-) Will edit my post.
Nov 24, 2015 11:29 pm
And to follow my own recommendations - I just made the following edit to my last post

Players are up again. Xasu has 2 turns worth of actions.
Nov 24, 2015 11:32 pm
*discreetly adds +5 Sword of Shadow Demon Slaying to inventory*
Nov 25, 2015 7:34 am
Ohica had picked up the ring.
Nov 25, 2015 8:45 am
If Xasu liked it, he shoulda put the ring on it.
Nov 25, 2015 5:02 pm
I like it! Big battle going on, lots of shouting and magics flying about...

Ooo shiny!
Nov 25, 2015 7:28 pm
I was pointing out the ring is in Ohicas possession, not on the floor! If she wants to hand it over, that's fine;
Nov 25, 2015 10:38 pm
Success! Continuity restored.
Nov 29, 2015 2:41 pm
Quote:
The lead disc passes harmlessly through the demon...
That's disappointing. I thought that was a really good idea throwing the disc at it!
Nov 29, 2015 4:23 pm
Darn, I thought that it might have something to do with containing the demon. Of course, I also thought that the lead was used to shield the demon from detection, which I think is truly the case.
Nov 29, 2015 4:54 pm
At this point it's not a spoiler, but the adventure indicates that no spells would have been able to detect the presence of an enemy in the globe (and it lists a bunch of spells that only existed in 1ed as unhelpful). Which is to say, you are indeed correct.
Dec 2, 2015 5:29 pm
I'm hoping for a resolution of my first action before I declare my second, but if you prefer, I'll just go straight into that without seeing the results, since Ohica is harried and hurrying...
Dec 2, 2015 7:33 pm
You may cast another spell while maintaining concentration. If you cast another spell that requires concentration though you lose the original spell and instead begin concentrating on the second one.
Dec 2, 2015 7:36 pm
Ah, thanks. Rather than revising my actions, I'll just let it play and remember for the next time.
Dec 3, 2015 5:56 pm
I've had a thought. Valinar's mind was broken at a young age after he caused both of his parents' deaths. He has two sides, the scatterbrained childlike side that he often is in, and the adult, focused side that he takes on when necessary. These lights could represent the "other side" of him, whichever mode he is in. When he is in his unfocused state the lights shine bright, but when he focuses they dim slightly as he absorbs his more adult persona temporarily.

Any thoughts on this? Any chance the DM will let me make them permanent without concentration? I have darkvision, so they're really more of a detriment to me than anything else.
Dec 3, 2015 6:22 pm
Voila! The lights are permanent without concentration.
Dec 3, 2015 6:25 pm
Sweet :) Thanks!
Dec 4, 2015 7:59 pm
Is Ohica staying in the room or leaving the room?

Also, note that "short rest" is not sufficient given my house rules --I need to know how long the rest is going to be (how many units of 10minutes). It will take 2 rest units (or 20min) to identify any magic item.
Dec 4, 2015 9:18 pm
Given what the ring said, Ohica is...disinclined to either wear the ring or attempt to leave the room without inspecting it (trap explosions? No, thank you!). It would be whatever she needs to identify it. I do not know if this would be a good time to take a long rest to regain spell slots and/or HP; I leave that up to the group.
Dec 4, 2015 10:57 pm
Boide wouldn't mind a long rest to regain spell slots and HP. But he'll stay on the other side of the door if it's all the same. :)
Dec 4, 2015 10:59 pm
CancerMan says:
Boide wouldn't mind a long rest to regain spell slots and HP. But he'll stay on the other side of the door if it's all the same. :)
Same
Dec 5, 2015 12:55 am
Long rest is 6~8 hours with actual sleeping... You want to sleep in the dungeon?
Dec 5, 2015 1:02 am
If we have to make camp, I'm all for it. Boide would suggest doing so, as he needs to heal and recover spell slots. He would continue on if the rest of the party decides they want to, however.

I think Boide is the only one that took damage, so if we do press on, he'd likely hang back and cast sacred flame all the time. So it's not urgent.
Dec 5, 2015 1:55 am
Eithne's actions will rarely "make sense" and will be guided by instinct rather than prudence. I'm trying to decide whether instinct will urge her to wear the ring. I rolled insight but I'm not sure how that would work for her. She uses smell to judge intent but the ring probably doesn't smell like anything.

As a player I want her to wear it because: complications, yes please!
Dec 5, 2015 2:13 am
Tolvaj would like to determine the function of the wand (I am half tempted to aim it at a wall and let loose!) so a bit of a rest would work. I think he'd protest to a long one though.
Dec 5, 2015 9:02 am
Ok, so 20minutes, plus 10 minutes for every healing surge Boide wants to spend?
Dec 9, 2015 6:29 am
To be honest I was more motivated by the chance to introduce a complication to the story or at least Eithne's character arc than I was by the ring's granted powers (which are, admittedly, pretty awesome). Having said that though, what's stopping her from just wishing for a gazillion hit points right now and a bazillion each year? How does the Wish spell work anyway? I'm sure it can't be as limitless as that.
Dec 9, 2015 6:35 am
I glanced at the Wish spell in the PHB. My interpretation is that there's nothing stopping you from making that sort of wish, but the DM has the discretion to interpret your desire in any way he or she chooses. Caveat emptor!
Dec 9, 2015 6:45 am
The wish spell is as unlimited as you imagine... except, of course, that the actual words you use to make the wish are interpreted by the wish-granter... Here's the text:

Wish is the mightiest spell a mortal creature can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter the very foundations of reality in accord with your desires. The basic use of this spell is to duplicate any other spell of 8th level or lower. You don’t need to meet any requirements in that spell, including costly components. The spell simply takes effect. Alternatively, you can create one of the following effects of your choice:

• You create one object of up to 25,000 gp in value that isn’t a magic item. The object can be no more than 300 feet in any dimension, and it appears in an unoccupied space you can see on the ground.
• You allow up to twenty creatures that you can see to regain all hit points, and you end all effects on them described in the greater restoration spell.
• You grant up to ten creatures that you can see resistance to a damage type you choose.
• You grant up to ten creatures you can see immunity to a single spell or other magical effect for 8 hours. For instance, you could make yourself and all your companions immune to a lich’s life drain attack.
• You undo a single recent event by forcing a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. For example, a wish spell could undo an opponent’s successful save, a foe’s critical hit, or a friend’s failed save. You can force the reroll to be made with advantage or disadvantage, and you can choose whether to use the reroll or the original roll.

You might be able to achieve something beyond the scope of the above examples. State your wish to the DM as precisely as possible. The DM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong. This spell might simply fail, the effect you desire might only be partly achieved, or you might suffer some unforeseen consequence as a result of how you worded the wish. For example, wishing that a villain were dead might propel you forward in time to a period when that villain is no longer alive, effectively removing you from the game. Similarly, wishing for a legendary magic item or artifact might instantly transport you to the presence of the item’s current owner.

The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you. After enduring that stress, each time you cast a spell until you finish a long rest, you take 1d10 necrotic damage per level of that spell. This damage can’t be reduced or prevented in any way. In addition, your Strength drops to 3, if it isn’t 3 or lower already, for 2d4 days. For each of those days that you spend resting and doing nothing more than light activity, your remaining recovery time decreases by 2 days. Finally, there is a 33 percent chance that you are unable to cast wish ever again if you suffer this stress.
Dec 9, 2015 6:52 am
SUPER dangerous to wish for hit points, since that's a metagame terrm and meaningless within the context of the game world. How would you wish to become able to withstand more damage in a very precise way immune to willful misinterpretation by the DM?

Ooh, Candi, I am so envious that you may get the possibility of being the djinn and interpreting a wish!
Dec 9, 2015 7:12 am
How often does a Wish spell come up, eh? :-D Ok we'll do that later as I'm heading out for errands and I don't want to hold the game up. :-)
Dec 9, 2015 10:53 pm
You could wish to be as handsome as Tolvaj!
Dec 10, 2015 7:38 am
szemely says:
You could wish to be as handsome as Tolvaj!
I think we all know what would happen with that wish: Tolvaj would transform to look like Eithne. If she was feeling kind, the DM wouldn't transform Eithne into something hideous first.
Dec 10, 2015 7:40 am
Everybody is goo, ;)
Dec 10, 2015 1:48 pm
Yeah seriously, 5 flesh golems. Even back in 1e, mussing up this riddle was a recipe for TPK.
Dec 10, 2015 2:11 pm
I love riddles :)
Dec 10, 2015 2:23 pm
Isn't this campaign for PCs level 5-10??
Dec 10, 2015 2:24 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Yep! That's the best part!
Dec 10, 2015 2:34 pm
Naatkinson says:
Biscuitfiend says:
Yep! That's the best part!
The 'recommended levels' don't translate well. Don't worry, I'm taking this all into account as I translate it into 5e.
Dec 10, 2015 2:37 pm
Oh definitely, totally different power levels between editions
Dec 10, 2015 3:28 pm
Hi all! Page 14. Damn!

Is Eithne still shifted or would that have worn off by this time? She shifted as she was leaving the spheres room, and it only lasts 1 minute.
Dec 10, 2015 3:32 pm
It's your call. It's either been just under a minute or just over a minute.
Dec 10, 2015 3:59 pm
Let's say the combat has just caught the tail end of Eithne's shift. She has 2 Temp HP for the 1st round. :-D
Quote:
Thunderwave
1st-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (15-foot cube)
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed.
In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell’s effect, and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.
Spell save DC against Eithne's spells is 12.
Quote:
Brown Bear
Large beast, unaligned
Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d10 + 12)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR 19 (+4) DEX 10 (+0) CON 16 (+3) INT 2 (-4) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 7 (-2)
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages —
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions:
Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks, one with its bite and one with its claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.
Last edited December 10, 2015 4:28 pm
Dec 10, 2015 4:35 pm
Gonna apologize now, I rolled 3d6 on my scorching ray, when it should have been 2d6. The perils of copy/pasting :(

Please ignore some of my damage!
Dec 10, 2015 7:55 pm
Golems are tough! I don't expect some of us to survive this battle, Boide in particular!
Dec 10, 2015 8:11 pm
I'm hoping that Ohica's coming alongside will draw some of their attacks, and that her heavy armor mastery will absorb some of the damage that will rain down with their meaty fists.
Dec 10, 2015 8:21 pm
I'm expecting a couple of us to get totally wrecked!
Dec 10, 2015 8:22 pm
I have the scene from the Incredibles in my head, where Dash and Violet are treading water in the ocean after having their plane shot down. "We're gonna die!"
Dec 11, 2015 7:36 am
Maybe there's a way out of this other than fighting? If we leave, do you think the golems would leave the room and follow us?
Dec 11, 2015 7:41 am
It might be worth a try. I forget how wide the hallway is, but if they do follow us, I imagine it would only allow one or two of them the ability to attack, and prevent them from surrounding the group.
Dec 11, 2015 2:17 pm
Candi says:
The door swings open, revealing a short (thirty foot) corridor with a small staircase in the middle. At the end of the corridor the hallway abruptly turns east.

The others won't be able to follow him, however, as the five flesh golems are between the rest of the group and Xasu.

Oo, I hadn't realized Xasu was on the other side. Lucky you, or you two would be receiving a battering.
Me too, I didn't realize Xasu had gone to the other side past the golems. I posted Eithne as standing next to Xasu and I thought that made the two of them the frontline. But I've gone back and Xasu did indeed go to the other side.

So where does that put Eithne the bear then?
Dec 11, 2015 2:18 pm
With Xasu on the other side. You're positioning was Xasu-relative afterall!
Dec 11, 2015 2:29 pm
I hate creatures that are immune to non-magical damage! Puts a lot of stress on poor, broken Valinar :(
Last edited December 11, 2015 2:30 pm
Dec 11, 2015 2:55 pm
When posting OOC comments in the game thread, please try to remember to use green text. It helps me more rapidly parse the post. Alternatively, if you're just asking a mechanics question, that is the purpose of this thread!
Dec 11, 2015 2:57 pm
Quote:
I guess Eithne will have to switch back to shillelagh and shield. Or just use her spells to buff the others. What happens if she casts shillelagh and passes the weapon to another PC? Does the weapon retain its properties (magical, and wielder can use spellcasting stat bonus for the attack roll)?
Reading the spell text "The spell ends if you cast it again or if you let go of the weapon".
Dec 11, 2015 3:40 pm
Oops, I thought I had posted that question to the OOC thread! Feel free to delete or move it. And thanks for the answer :-)
Last edited December 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Dec 11, 2015 3:51 pm
In the words of the great philosopher Bender Rodriguez:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/9a/9a32b5fd2e96017c9d8f02162b2fb06caaa83327da49a61274dcba6af038d7d3.jpg
Dec 11, 2015 4:04 pm
Wow, damage immunity is terrifying. Luckily, Ohica isn't down yet, but as a player I'm conflicted as to whether to try saving Boide or just hoofing it. Ohica, on the other hand, has no question.
Dec 11, 2015 4:06 pm
Hey, we've taken one down so far. That's good, right?

(I'm running out of spells!)
Dec 11, 2015 4:20 pm
As a player I'm usually terrified of golems primarily because of the damage and condition immunities. They also hit hard!
A note on intent, which I should have put in my round two post, but I didn't and don't want to edit it after the fact:

Ohica's aim is to get out the door with Boide, with the hope that she, or one of the people behind her, can slam the door. If that doesn't work, then they will at least be in a narrower passage and not so easily surrounded.

By the way, as a DM, I love how Candi is running this: how we all rolled our damage and just assumed it was having an effect, and her presentation of the constructs being moved without actually saying whether they've been damaged at all.
Naatkinson says:
Hey, we've taken one down so far. That's good, right?
We've knocked one down, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if #7 gets back up next round, given that it was "lifeless" to begin with.
As a fair warning, dragging Boide out will incur attacks of opportunity (2).

Also, I did eventually come clean on the damage outcomes :)
Dec 11, 2015 4:21 pm
Candi says:
I know it. But there's her ideals.
Dec 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Candi says:

But only against Ohica, right? Forced movement (dragging) isn't supposed to incur attacks of opportunity as I understand it
Dec 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Cool, just checking. You can have Inspiration for that -- in fact, have 2 (I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I let players stockpile inspiration. It sucks to 'earn it' when you've got one you haven't had good reason to spend yet).

EDIT: Yes, just Ohica.
Dec 11, 2015 4:25 pm
Naatkinson says:
Candi says:

But only against Ohica, right? Forced movement (dragging) isn't supposed to incur attacks of opportunity as I understand it
Candi's confirmed it, but story-wise, Ohica is expecting that the golems would focus their attacks on the conscious foes (ie, her).
Dec 11, 2015 4:31 pm
Naatkinson says:

If we can't get away from these guys, I think it's time to start spamming our cantrips. Valinar has Fire Bolt, right? If Ohica can survive another round, she's going to start laying down a rhythm track of Sacred Flames.
Dec 11, 2015 4:37 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Naatkinson says:

If we can't get away from these guys, I think it's time to start spamming our cantrips. Valinar has Fire Bolt, right? If Ohica can survive another round, she's going to start laying down a rhythm track of Sacred Flames.
I still have one more use of Scorching Ray, as well as the ability to twin another Chromatic Orb
Dec 11, 2015 5:06 pm
Was it Xasu who was hit, or Tolvaj? I thought Xasu wasn't in the room anymore...?
Dec 11, 2015 5:23 pm
Yeah didn't we all.. It was Xasu. Xasu went to the opposite door, hoping to bypass the fight I expect. He has started going down the north hallway, the exit that was behind the golems, but the golem has followed him. So I guess he's not in the room, but he's still being attacked.

As I understand Tolvaj is in the hallway with the rest of you... but maybe I got that wrong too!
Dec 11, 2015 5:48 pm
Tolvaj is in the hall trying to remain hidden as he's basically a coward.
Dec 11, 2015 6:00 pm
Valinar is terrifyingly squishy... 11 HP at level 3, talk about a glass cannon!
Dec 11, 2015 6:41 pm
Did I get the action economy correct on my last turn? Let me know if I got it wrong so I can amend. Also, I posted tht before I understood that Xasu and his golem have left the room. So I guess I only blasted two golems? Also, is Xasu down? I didn't catch that either. I guess I'll have to go in there and stabilize him.
Last edited December 11, 2015 6:42 pm
Dec 11, 2015 9:12 pm
Congratulations, CancerMan! Boide now has more HP than Ohica does!
Dec 11, 2015 9:48 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Ohica heals for a LOT!

Looking at the character, how do you get +7? I count +5
Last edited December 11, 2015 9:49 pm
Dec 11, 2015 10:16 pm
Naatkinson says:
spaceseeker19 says:
Ohica heals for a LOT!

Looking at the character, how do you get +7? I count +5
You're right - I was using the spell attack mod, rather than the spell ability mod.
So it should be 1d4+2 (wis mod)+2+(spell level)=1d4+5
Dec 11, 2015 10:36 pm
I'll take the 9. Does this mean Boide is awake?
Dec 12, 2015 1:51 pm
Candi says:
Pretty sure Eithne is unconscious now as well.
Yeah, LOL! And had that hit dealt 4 more points of damage Eithne would have died outright!
Dec 12, 2015 4:58 pm
I can't seem to access that map that you posted a link to. Is there something I need to do before I can see it? Thanks!
Dec 12, 2015 5:08 pm
You, you needed me to set the permissions properly on the file. Done now, it should work.

Map link
Dec 12, 2015 5:13 pm
Got it. Thanks!
Dec 14, 2015 2:56 pm
Did we gain any experience for the shadow demon battle? I don't have any recorded, nor did I see any in the forum
Dec 14, 2015 5:13 pm
Have I been giving out experience ? I don't remember if I have (normally when I run games i just dole out levels once they are earned -- but I can't remember how 'old school' I had gone with this one).
Dec 14, 2015 5:21 pm
You hadn't yet, and I wasn't sure if you were going to so I figured I'd ask
Dec 14, 2015 6:05 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Following this, Xasu will gasp sharply, get up, disengage from the golem and use 'action surge' to dash (move another 30ft) away (total 45ft distance). If he encounters a door he will open it and keep running!
Just a note: the map of this combat shows that Xasu is not engaged with any golems at the moment. They stomped him, and then headed back to stomp on Eithne, and now there's only the two standing.

Is that right, DM?

I just mention it in case that not-being-attacked-at-the-moment changes your action...
Last edited December 14, 2015 6:06 pm
Dec 14, 2015 6:15 pm
In that case, no need to waste the surge. Will wait for confirmation :)
Dec 14, 2015 8:56 pm
Xasu is not presently being attacked, space seeker is right
Dec 15, 2015 3:55 am
Hey! is Eithne up with 15hp? Thanks!

I think she's acted this round though (death save) so nothing to add.

Internet's been wonky so I may pop up now and then but most likely not. DMPC me if necessary. She still has a few spell slots for Thunderwave or she can melee with shillelagh & shield. Thanks!
Dec 15, 2015 9:22 am
Ohica can heal everyone (D&D is, thankfully, not so granular as to care about facing when determining sight lines).

Also, if all you've done for the round is a death save and another player heals you, you can take a proper turn.
Dec 15, 2015 8:57 pm
I feel like an idiot... I totally forgot about the potion of fire breath I have. Totally would have used that this round if I'd remembered!
Dec 16, 2015 6:14 am
How high is the ceiling here in the room? How about in the exit tunnel? Eithne is low on hp, so I'm wondering what shape to take to bug out. If the ceiling's high enough to take her out of the golems' reach then she might wildshape into something that can climb, like a giant spider, maybe.

Also, Candi, what's your official ruling again on Barkskin-and-then-Wildshape? Thanks!
Dec 16, 2015 4:56 pm
ruling is here - you should probably put that link on your character sheet.

And, being presently engaged, it really doesn't matter what shape you take. You'll use your Action to Disengage, and you've enough movement to fly, or, even walk around, as once you've Disengaged you're avoiding opportunity attacks. In any case, the room and corridors are only ten feet high.
Dec 16, 2015 9:10 pm
FYI, if they succeed on their saves this will incur attacks of opportunity. That's ok?
Dec 16, 2015 9:46 pm
Thanks for the link, saved it to my character sheet as you suggested. :-)

Yeah, I chose the shape with the highest hp for that possibility.
Dec 17, 2015 6:03 pm
So are there only 2 golems left?

Also, if anyone is looking battered, I have some 'Rally' powers to give out sweet HP...
Dec 19, 2015 3:27 am
I'm going to be absolutely slammed over the weekend working on an epic Star Wars - The Force Awakens birthday cake. Won't be able to post, sorry!
Dec 19, 2015 3:36 am
Everyone has gone, right? We're just waiting on the golem's turn?
Dec 19, 2015 4:19 am
Yeah, been waiting on me. I was travelling home earlier this week, and got hit by some illness of some shape. I should be on my feet tomorrow and able to post.
Dec 19, 2015 5:18 am
Just wanted to make sure we weren't missing anything :-)
Dec 21, 2015 4:24 pm
Holy wow... wasn't sure we were gonna make it out of that alive! Valinar could certainly use a long rest at this point!
Dec 21, 2015 5:09 pm
Wasn't looking good, was it?
Dec 22, 2015 7:26 am
Eithne has plenty hp right now in dire wolf form but when she reverts she's back to 4/17hp, so yeah, a long rest would be good!

Damn that life-stealing ring! I wanted story complication, so I got it! :-P

Eithne is leveled up. Took the War Caster Feat. Added my HP roll to this post to keep all my hp rolls in one place.
Dec 22, 2015 5:57 pm
Quote:
OOC: What's the HP status for everybody? Boide is currently at 24/27, so he'll recover HP during an extended rest. I've got two Cure Wounds (1d8+4 HP) for anyone that's low.
Unless we're interrupted, a long rest will restore all hp right? But yeah, Eithne could use the healing just in case we're interrupted. :-)
Last edited December 22, 2015 6:02 pm
Dec 22, 2015 8:08 pm
Yes, a long rest will fully restore your HP, hit dice, spells and abilities.
Dec 22, 2015 8:31 pm
Done with my level besides Feat/ASI. Really torn on this one... Any suggestions would be welcome.

Got only one odd stat (Charisma) so using both points of my ASI on it is kinda dumb. Alternatively I could take the Actor feat to increase it to the next step and gain a benefit, but that doesn't fit my character at all...
Last edited December 22, 2015 8:33 pm
Dec 22, 2015 8:34 pm
Could you do a +1 Charisma, +1 another attribute?
Dec 22, 2015 8:35 pm
CancerMan says:
Could you do a +1 Charisma, +1 another attribute?
I can, but they're all even so it won't actually be any benefit
Dec 22, 2015 9:32 pm
I'll have Tolvaj ready to go sometime tomorrow. In-laws (and Fallout 4) have been eating up some time today.
Dec 22, 2015 10:21 pm
Leveled (didn't realize it was just ability increase at level 4).
Dec 22, 2015 11:03 pm
Assuming multiclassing is allowed, time to blag a level of barbarian. Assuming we finish the long rest.
Dec 23, 2015 12:07 am
You can multiclass.
Dec 28, 2015 8:07 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Ohice strides forward, intoning a chant to Ulaa.

"Ulaa, by the majesty of caverns and as empress of the earth, hear my prayer and restore my companions so that we can do your work!"

(Ooc: Ohica will move up to be adjacent to Eithne, and is casting her 2nd level spell 'prayer of healing:' Heal up to 6 creatures within 30' of 2d8+WIS mod+2+(spell slot level) HP. If I can pan my gaze, I will heal everyone, but if I can only heal those I can see in one blink of an eye, it'll be Ohica, Eithne and Xasu.)
I just realized something... Prayer of Healing is a 10 minute cast!
Dec 29, 2015 11:51 pm
Naatkinson says:

I just realized something... Prayer of Healing is a 10 minute cast!
*facepalm*
Dec 30, 2015 12:10 am
too late now; we know better for the future. for now, spend an inspiration retroactively and let's keep gong forward!
Dec 30, 2015 5:50 am
I was going to offer to retcon, saying that Ohica cast cure light wounds on Eithne. The outcome of the battle wouldn't change, but it would leave Ohica (from the 9 points of fist damage after casting the spell) and Xasu still out and needing to be stabilized.
Dec 30, 2015 3:11 pm
Easier to not retcon. Youve all had a long rest since anyway. In fact, don't worry about paying the inspiration. What was important was that Ohica healed folks a bit, and even then I don't think it mattered as the fight was swiftly over.
Jan 5, 2016 8:02 am
Ohica will be happy to provide Guidance to anyone who wishes to inspect the hot door.
Jan 15, 2016 8:47 pm
Ugh, it's so challenging to play a character that is both really stupid and extremely wise, especially when puzzle challenges like this come up. That's assuming that this is an obstacle, rather than a trap...
Jan 15, 2016 8:53 pm
Also, I wonder what that popping noise was, that flung liquid against the door, which Tolvaj heard and no one else did...?
Jan 15, 2016 9:03 pm
I think it's steam. There's boiling mud, which tells me there's hot water somewhere mixed in. No mud on the platform at least according to the description, so it wasn't the mud that was splattering. Maybe it's like geysers at yellowstone.
Jan 15, 2016 9:05 pm
I REALLY don't like the possibilities here... Oh well, I'll just make a new guy if I die!
Jan 15, 2016 9:10 pm
Naatkinson says:
I REALLY don't like the possibilities here... Oh well, I'll just make a new guy if I die!
Fortunately, they are about the same as every other room in this place: Live or Die.
Jan 18, 2016 9:39 am
I'm waiting to see how Valinar does before attempting anything. I have an idea that involves the Mold Earth cantrip but I think simply adding a lifeline to Valinar's method might be best. Let's hope nothing shows up to attack us or anything.
Jan 18, 2016 4:41 pm
Right - there's a hazard we haven't seen yet, and don't know about.
Jan 19, 2016 11:26 pm
Hi all, I'm away until Saturday at Center Parcs. See you shortly!
Jan 23, 2016 10:41 pm
Awesome effect! Does this recharge at all?
Jan 23, 2016 10:57 pm
Nope. Once used, the colour of the used bead drains.. forever!
Jan 24, 2016 12:42 am
Note!

Candi sent a note to Naatkinson
Jan 24, 2016 6:38 am
Holy crap! R.I.P, Valinar!
Candi says:
I realize Eithne and Ohica were about to attempt a magical traversal. I haven't resolved that because, I wasn't sure if, with Valinar's death, they still want to do that.
After taking 14hp damage, Eithne is down to 8hp. She can't take another hit like that. If she attempts the platforms and gets hit, even if it doen't kill her, a failed concentration check will drop her and her "passenger" into the pit. He has advantage on concentration checks [War Caster feat] but it's still risky.

I feel like trying it unless someone has a better idea. There's my lifeline idea if you want to attempt it and if there's enough rope. I don't know the frequency the geyser eruptions but it looks like there's not enough time to dash across by any means without getting hit at least once. I don't know. One thing's for sure: people standing around on the platform will just get hit again and again.

To be honest, Eithne could just wildshape into a lizard, cross the ceiling unharmed and wait for you all on the other side.
Jan 24, 2016 2:49 pm
Looking at the image Candi uploaded it looks like it's possible to avoid getting hit by the geysers f Eithne sets each stone platform higher and higher iut of the geysers' range, and then come down the other side. The question remains, how many people can Eithne take per trip? How many people can fit in a 5 ft square.
Jan 24, 2016 2:55 pm
From your observations, the geyser's steam nearly reaches the ceiling. Going above them is definitely possible, although then you'll be experimenting with blocks of mud that you are standing on being hit by blasts of boiling water.

Eithne can bring one other on the trip, if you had a halfling they could join 'for free'.

Finally, a mechanical detail that will help you all -- the geyser damage is based on horizontal distance from the source. Directly atop it, and you suffer as Valinar did, every 10 feet away lowers the damage by 1d10. Going along the outer walls, thus, would be 'safer' than going over them in so far as, going over them doesn't, technically, reduce damage by distance.

EDIT: Dont take the picture too literally, it's meant to just provide a sense of the room - it is from a comic about the hilarious advenutre of a group through this dungeon.
Jan 24, 2016 3:08 pm
Well then it's Eithne and Ohica along the far wall as fast as we can then! I hope we don't gethit again. Like I said, down to 8hp. :-P

And where's our hilarity? Hehe!
Jan 25, 2016 6:18 am
Cancerman says:
Casting Healing Word at 2nd level on Eithne. 2d4+5 HP.
Do I roll for hp healed, or does CancerMan
Candi says:
Taris and the others wisely retreat to the safety of the hallway
Ok, it never even occurred to me to retret into the hallway. I thought the turnstile prevented it. TUrns out I misunderstood the dungeon haha!

So Eithne and Ohica made it? Thank the gods for War Caster!
Last edited January 25, 2016 6:18 am
Jan 25, 2016 1:09 pm
Doesn't matter who rolls, as CancerMan hasn't you do it.

There's a long hallway between the turnstile and the door into the mud room.
Jan 26, 2016 2:00 am
I've added the hp roll to this post. 10hp! Good thing too, because it turns out Eithne was down to 3/17 hp, not 8/22 (forgot about the damn ring of unicorn poop). So now she's at 13/17hp.

The platform on the other side is nearly identical...and also has a long hallway leading away, yes?
Jan 26, 2016 2:44 pm
There's a bit of confusion about the shape of this room, although it doesn't matter much -- there is no long hallway leading to a door, the door is in the wall directly adjacent to the platform. Recall that, when Boide listened at the door, he heard the sprinkling of water hitting the door.

Anyway, the door is plain to the eye.
Jan 26, 2016 3:10 pm
Got it. Edited my post. Now to go get the rest.
Feb 5, 2016 1:21 am
Ulaa: dwarven goddess of gems and door wisdom.
Feb 5, 2016 1:25 am
Ha! :-)
Feb 10, 2016 1:48 am
I take it the dark room is impervious to Tolvaj's dark vision?
Feb 10, 2016 2:28 am
Impervious indeed! Tolvaj almost certainly, thusly, realizes that this is no ordinary darkness, it is magical darkness!
Feb 10, 2016 3:45 pm
Naatkinson says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Eithne lets out an involuntary squeak as the magical candle is snuffed out. She gestures at Taris' floating lights.
OOC:
The Floating Lights are gone now, they have formed into a ring on Taris' finger
Ooooh I completely forgot! My bad! Will edit my post.
Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Eithne lets out an involuntary squeak as the magical candle is snuffed out. She strains her ears forward and sniffs the darkness.
OOC:
Eithne's Passive Perception is at +9.
Can someone explain Perception vs. Passive Perception to me? I'm not sure I'm using it correctly here. Does "passive" mean Eithne isn't actively looking at anything specific? Like while travelling or on watch duty? I guess what I'm really asking is, when does she benefit from the Observant feat and when doesn't she?
Feb 10, 2016 3:59 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Eithne lets out an involuntary squeak as the magical candle is snuffed out. She strains her ears forward and sniffs the darkness.
OOC:
Eithne's Passive Perception is at +9.
Can someone explain Perception vs. Passive Perception to me? I'm not sure I'm using it correctly here. Does "passive" mean Eithne isn't actively looking at anything specific? Like while travelling or on watch duty? I guess what I'm really asking is, when does she benefit from the Observant feat and when doesn't she?
Passive Perception is generally for using vs a monster stealth roll, primarily. Active Perception is used when you are actively looking for something, like checking a door for traps.

This is a general overview, and there are other uses for Passive Perception dependent on DM, some I've seen use it as a measure of a minimum perception roll.
Feb 10, 2016 4:16 pm
If you're actively looking, you're rolling dice. Passive perception is for all other times.
Feb 10, 2016 4:18 pm
Makes sense. Now if you have the Observant feat, which gives you a +5 on Passive Perception? Then why would you ever actively look? Of course this is metagaming.
Feb 10, 2016 4:20 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Makes sense. Now if you have the Observant feat, which gives you a +5 on Passive Perception? Then why would you ever actively look? Of course this is metagaming.
Because you can't detect everything passively. You'll never passively notice the hidden door behind the tapestry, that's something you have to actively search for.
Feb 10, 2016 4:39 pm
In general, I do like the idea of treating passive as a 'minimum' as well. That resolves on irritation I have with D&D (which has to do with the massive variation inherent in a d20 system). But Naatkinson is right, some things you won't notice 'passively' and require 'searching for'.
Feb 10, 2016 4:42 pm
Candi says:
In general, I do like the idea of treating passive as a 'minimum' as well. That resolves on irritation I have with D&D (which has to do with the massive variation inherent in a d20 system). But Naatkinson is right, some things you won't notice 'passively' and require 'searching for'.
I also used passive as the minimum at first, then I got a level 7 player with a 24 passive perception and changed my mind lol

I definitely do agree that the massive variance in a d20 system is really annoying.
Feb 10, 2016 5:14 pm
Naatkinson says:
Candi says:
I also used passive as the minimum at first, then I got a level 7 player with a 24 passive perception and changed my mind lol
If they invested effort (feats, skill expertise) in getting it that high, I don't see why a 24 minimum is a problem. That means they've cultivated a +14 anyway, and half the time they'd get 24+ anyway.
Feb 10, 2016 5:18 pm
Candi says:
Naatkinson says:
Candi says:
If they invested effort (feats, skill expertise) in getting it that high, I don't see why a 24 minimum is a problem. That means they've cultivated a +14 anyway, and half the time they'd get 24+ anyway.
Well, his regular perception is only +9, and allowing a 24 minimum means that it's pretty much impossible to hide things from him. The main problem was that he'd get to roll, and if he rolled a 1 he'd just say, "Well, that's a 24"

It was basically giving him 2 chances to beat whatever DC I had set for him.
Feb 10, 2016 5:20 pm
But natural 1 is always failure, no matter what modifiers, right?
Feb 10, 2016 5:20 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
But natural 1 is always failure, no matter what modifiers, right?
Not on skill checks, only on attack rolls and (Maybe?) saves
Feb 10, 2016 6:10 pm
A 1 is only auto-fail on attacks.

My view is that, if player puts a lot of resources into having a high passive perception like that, it's fine that you 'cant hide things from them'. It means as long as the player decides to look, they'll find whatever it is - and they built a character meant to search for things so great! They should succeed at what they are best at most (if not all) of the time. But, as the GM, you have other tools to make the player face tradeoffs and risk twists and danger (whcih is why we want to 'hide' things from players in the first place). A 24 perception doesn't mean you instantly notice, searching takes time and effort.

In fact, that's what I liked about the 4e perception rules -- because really, with enough time you'll find anything. I much prefer the "take 10", now that I think of it, to minimum Perception based on passive (and maybe you get to add passive bonuses to a 'take 10' - it takes 10 minutes after all). What matters is the time. In circumstances where you are pressed for time, taking 10 isn't possible, you search hastily and so you roll. Now the +9 Perception character failing to find something makes sense - even Sherlock can miss something when under the right kind of pressure.
Feb 17, 2016 10:33 pm
So I've done 42 damage to the creature now? 30 from the first attack and 12 from the second?
Feb 18, 2016 12:26 pm
Aye. And some of that radiant.
Feb 18, 2016 12:30 pm
Argh, I was so sure I'd equipped my shield before this door was opened! But reading back I see that I forgot again :-P
Feb 19, 2016 3:15 pm
So I'm curious whether Moonbeam will work, given the magical darkness. We'll see, won't we?
Feb 19, 2016 4:05 pm
Or won't see, as the case may be!
Feb 22, 2016 5:36 pm
Knowing what we're facing (at least, I have a very strong sense of what it is) makes it hard not to meta-game. Thankfully we have a globe of darkness hiding the results from view, so it's easier to play from a RP perspective .

Be that as it may, would clerics know what the creature is, based on its activity and what we can sense? What roll would that use, if any?
Feb 22, 2016 5:50 pm
Everybody, remember to add 1d4 to your attack rolls (and saves, if any) for the next ten rounds, from Ulaa's blessing.
Feb 22, 2016 8:00 pm
How narrow is the hallway leading to the mud room? The description just says "50 foot narrow hallway". With an action Eithne can move the moonbeam 60ft so she can actually keep hitting the creature but if the hallway is only 5 feet wide and she can't do it without hitting her friends then I'll have to think of something else.
Feb 22, 2016 8:05 pm
It's only five feet wide I'm afraid
Feb 23, 2016 1:36 pm
The beam is only 5ft wide. I think I can chance it. :-D
Feb 23, 2016 1:37 pm
It'll hit Ohica as she is within the mist,
Feb 23, 2016 2:47 pm
Candi says:
It'll hit Ohica as she is within the mist,
Oops, posted before I saw this! Would it be at all possible for Eithne to run up there, shove Ohica aside, and position the moonbeam all in 1 turn?

If not, I suppose Eithne could yell a warning: "woof woof!"
Last edited February 23, 2016 2:48 pm
Feb 23, 2016 2:54 pm
It's a double move to get to Ohica, so no.
Feb 23, 2016 2:57 pm
I'm editing my post to yell a warning. I hope Ohica dodges!

Edit after seeing GM's post: Oh. Never mind. Sorry, Ohica! :-(
Last edited February 23, 2016 3:15 pm
Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm
Eithne is at 13/17hp, CancerMan. Are you sure you want to use a 2nd-level Cure Wounds on her? It was Ohica that got hit by the moonbeam, taking 18 damage (or 9 if she makes her CON save).

Spaceseeker, too bad Ohica didn't include herself when she cast Bless! That extra 1d4 would come in handy right about now :-)
Last edited February 23, 2016 6:49 pm
Feb 23, 2016 6:53 pm
I thought you took 11 damage, but now I see that your max was reduced. If allowed, I'll switch the 2nd-level casting to Ohica.
Feb 24, 2016 1:34 am
Yup.
Feb 28, 2016 5:26 pm
I was going to have Eithne use the ashes as kitty litter but that might be crossing some kind of line haha!
Feb 28, 2016 5:30 pm
As you will!

You're all very lucky the vampire didn't get more hits in, what with the max hp damage the hits caused ;)
Mar 2, 2016 1:00 pm
Whelm
Whelm is a magical +2 warhammer of dwarven auto-return. It demands it is used to kill all trolls, giants and goblinoids.
This weapon functions as a Warhammer with +2 Attack and Damage, and the following abilities.

- When held by a Dwarf, three times per day it can be thrown up to 150 feet and return.
- When held by anyone, once per day you can slam it into the ground to create a stunning wave of force. All creatures in a 20 foot radius of the impact point make a DC 14 Constitution save. On a failure, the creature is stunned until the end of your next turn.
- When held, you are aware of goblinoids, gold and gems within 60 feet of you.
Mar 2, 2016 5:43 pm
That's an awesome weapon. Can't wait to get something for my paladin!
Mar 2, 2016 6:51 pm
A rules question: if you throw a warhammer, does it deal the normal warhammer damage, or does it deal throwing hammer damage? If it's warhammer damage, the versatile trait doesn't apply, correct? That is to say, you can't throw a warhammer harder with 2 hands to deal the versatile damage die...?
Mar 2, 2016 6:52 pm
As it's a special property of the magic weapon, I'll allow Versatile to apply (but that would mean dropping your shield if you have one, in order to do the two handed throw and get 1d10 instead of 1d8).
Mar 2, 2016 7:12 pm
Thanks; I was just curious. I don't see Ohica dropping her shield, but I do like the visual of a dwarf spinning with Whelm like a hammer throw competitor at the Olympics...
Apr 3, 2016 9:27 pm
Candi says:
OOC:
Eithne, how do you get to the wooden door? Walk straight across the room?
Yeah hahaha! I'm trusting her passive perception to scope out anything obviously nasty here :-D
Apr 3, 2016 9:29 pm
The rest of us will certainly miss her. :-)
Apr 4, 2016 2:19 pm
Left or right around the room perimeter?
Apr 4, 2016 2:29 pm
Eeenie Meenie... Left.
Apr 13, 2016 12:57 pm
So, what's the plan here folks? Eithne has found a ten foot gap in the walkway around the edge of the room. Everyone else is standing just outside the room (as far as I know), and Boide spent 20 min backtracking to get a pocketful of lead discs.
Apr 13, 2016 12:59 pm
I'm just waiting to see what she finds :)
Apr 13, 2016 1:12 pm
Then we're waiting on you Eithne, what do you do about the gap? Jump it? Retreat? Swim? Something I didn't expect?
Apr 14, 2016 5:14 pm
Is Boide able to act after Tolvaj and Taris?
Apr 29, 2016 6:21 pm
Going to step out of the game for now to save space on my forum list. Please re-invite me if it gets started back up.
May 2, 2016 4:56 pm
I was considering calling the game, because I need to cut back on my obligations if I am to finish my PhD on time, however, I think if we're all willing to tolerate a slower pace I can keep this one going (something like 1 post a week from me). We're almost 2/3 of the way through the dungeon.
May 2, 2016 5:01 pm
I'm fine with whatever decision is made. I'd rather you finish your PhD than DnD!
May 2, 2016 5:05 pm
What CancerMan said. :-)
May 2, 2016 10:49 pm
Real life comes first! I'm good either way, but don't let this game distract you from what needs to be done.
May 4, 2016 1:21 pm
I've been thoroughly enjoying this game and would love to continue, but don't let it get in the way of real life :)
May 4, 2016 1:27 pm
Definitely. I'll have a post up tonight with the kelpie's, Naat I believe you'll need to re-add your characters.
May 8, 2016 3:31 am
Also, spaceseeker seems to be sleepin', so perhaps Boide should take the fancy magic hammer from her? I'm inclined to just keep on with the 4 of us and not recruit another.
May 8, 2016 5:49 am
Boide will do that, just as soon as he can get the two hormone-charged dudes to safety.
May 8, 2016 5:57 am
Oh damn, I had hoped the moonbeam would break their "concentration" or something. Now I'm out of ideas.
May 8, 2016 6:26 am
That was my hope, as well, hence Boide's last-ditch effort to physically stop one of them. Of course, with a crit fail I shudder to think what will happen. :)
May 8, 2016 7:49 am
I could maybe impede our friends temporarily with stone barriers but that's a delay at best, not a solution. Maybe we knock 'em unconscious? I could wildshape into shomething that can grapple them but someone still needs to deal with the kelpies. I could wildshape into something aquatic but I don't know if I can take them on alone.
May 8, 2016 7:59 am
Wait a sec, don't Tolvaj and Taris have Fey Ancestry? Advantage against being charmed?
May 8, 2016 2:23 pm
Aye they do! Tolvaj and Taris can make those second advantage rolls now, just as they reach the pool's edge and prepare to dive in.
May 8, 2016 2:28 pm
Added the roll to my last post....
May 8, 2016 2:48 pm
Me too, and I failed again
May 8, 2016 4:11 pm
Only one of you charmed nudges the situation in the direction of manageable.

So I went for broke and wild-shaped into a giant octopus. :-D Wish me luck!

Woot! A nat 20 on the Stealth roll. I guess that means I've snuck up on 'em? Do I grab Taris now or do the kelpies get an action first?
Last edited May 8, 2016 4:35 pm
May 8, 2016 10:23 pm
This is the kind of creativity it takes to overcome some of these ridiculous situations...
May 9, 2016 8:55 am
Which exit do you guys want? Let me know so Eithne nd Taris can get up on the ledge right next to the door we want. So far, only the wooden door has been checked out by Eithne.
Quote:
Three are two exits in the northeast corner (ahead and to the right of the entrance). On, in the northern wall, leads to a stair case that climbs upwards. The one in the eastern wall is blocked by a closed wooden door. The floor of this room is covered with water.
May 18, 2016 2:12 pm
Just an FYI, I'm in Dallas at a conference for the next 5 days, and so updates my be slow.
Jul 14, 2016 6:44 pm
What spell / ability is that? Also, gimme a damage roll! (it's a door, no to-hit roll needed... it's not moving)
Jul 14, 2016 6:55 pm
Don't know what damage it would cause, but the ability listed on Whelm reads:

When held by anyone, once per day you can slam it into the ground to create a stunning wave of force. All creatures in a 20 foot radius of the impact point make a DC 14 Constitution save. On a failure, the creature is stunned until the end of your next turn.
Jul 28, 2016 5:53 pm
I am leaving for Cedar Point tomorrow morning (Friday, July 29th) and won't get back until late Sunday night (July 31st). I'll be recuperating on Monday, so my posting may be slow until Tuesday.
Jul 31, 2016 4:49 am
I'm at a conference now until Mon, then to GenCon - so I'll get back to this 100% after GenCon (and it'll be a happy bonus if I get to this between now and GenCon).
Aug 11, 2016 12:14 am
Hoping the man fails his STR save!
Quote:
If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 16). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the octopus can't use its tentacles on another target.
Aug 18, 2016 1:32 pm
Candi, I could be wrong, but I don't think you've rolled the man's saving throw against being grappled and restrained by the octopus.
Aug 18, 2016 3:05 pm
You're right, I forgot. Rolled it now, 12 -- what was the DC?
Aug 18, 2016 3:50 pm
DC 16, I think.
Aug 18, 2016 3:57 pm
Creatures don't get a save vs the grapple, they are just automatically grabbed. The escape DC is 16, though.
Aug 18, 2016 4:06 pm
Happily he missed anyway - so he is Grappled, and continues to be Grappled by the octopus.
Aug 18, 2016 4:34 pm
Not just grappled. Restrained.

So:
• A restrained creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage.
• The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.
Aug 27, 2016 4:18 pm
Quote:
The man shoves the octopus off of himself
So he's escaped the grapple then? Just figuring out my next move. If he's escaped I'm definitely grabbing him again.
Last edited August 27, 2016 4:18 pm
Aug 27, 2016 5:36 pm
Yes he did.
Aug 27, 2016 6:10 pm
Did the man Disengage from Eithne?

The shapeshifter has disadvantage on her save vs the Moonbeam. :-)
Aug 27, 2016 6:29 pm
The man did not move, just fought off the grapple.
Sep 21, 2016 11:29 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Work will have me tied up from now until the 24th. Posts from me will be a bit rare. Please feel free to move my characters along if necessary.
Jabes may not be available to take his turn
Sep 22, 2016 12:59 am
Hrm, ok -- well if someone wants to take Eithne's turn that's fine -- probably moves the moonbeam with the bonus action?
Sep 22, 2016 2:57 am
I figure the druid would do that. I think it takes an action, though.
Oct 12, 2016 4:59 pm
Candi says:
OOC:
Is that three votes for a rest? Majority rules.
Sure, why not? I may need to change my prepared spells.
Oct 12, 2016 9:41 pm
I'm good with that as well.
Oct 12, 2016 9:42 pm
Me too!
Oct 14, 2016 3:54 pm
Please remind me because I've forgotten: Was Ohica's disappearance ever explained, and how? Or did we just retconn her existence away? I'm fine with whatever, it's just that I've totally forgotten.
Oct 14, 2016 4:06 pm
I did my usual thing, which is the character just 'drops' from the narrative. That way, if spaceseeker ever returns, she can reappear, and also no one is bogged down with explaining the lost character.
Oct 14, 2016 4:12 pm
Works for me. :-)
Oct 17, 2016 7:13 pm
I will be extremely busy the next three days. I may be able to make short posts now and then, but can't promise anything. Go ahead and move my characters along and roll for me if necessary. Thanks!
Nov 16, 2016 10:39 pm
This game still going?
Nov 17, 2016 12:59 pm
Yes. Sorry, I thought I posted in all my games -- I'm crunching to finish my dissertation ASAP and so my posting is infrequent and impulsive. I still intend to finish this one (you're almost 2/3 through the dungeon!), but in the next few weeks (and previous few weeks), progress may be slow.
Nov 17, 2016 1:18 pm
Candi says:
Yes. Sorry, I thought I posted in all my games -- I'm crunching to finish my dissertation ASAP and so my posting is infrequent and impulsive. I still intend to finish this one (you're almost 2/3 through the dungeon!), but in the next few weeks (and previous few weeks), progress may be slow.
No problem, just wanted to see where we were at :-)
Nov 17, 2016 1:55 pm
Best of luck with the dissertation, Candi!
Nov 17, 2016 2:07 pm
Naatkinson says:
Candi says:
No problem, just wanted to see where we were at :-)
Thanks for poking me on it -- I'll try to get you guys a post in over the weekend. I really would like to see this one complete - this dungeon is just so wonky.
Dec 27, 2016 3:08 pm
nuninuninu... :-D
Jan 29, 2017 1:38 am
Hey everyone, I've been around, but also overwhelmed. Between the situation in the US that I feel helpless with respect to (as a Canadian), and an upcoming job interview for a dream position at CMU doing research on teaching (I fly out in 11 hours) "overwhelmed" is accurate.

I appreciate all of your patience. Will move this along Wed/Thurs after I get home from the interview.
Mar 8, 2017 3:52 pm
I have this idea of using Mold Earth to have part of the bridge shoot up underneath the crab and try to flip it onto its back. Would that be possible? I know Eithne would have to move to within 30 feet of it.
Mar 8, 2017 7:53 pm
You can try I spose'. It'd impose a dex check that, on failing, would knock the crab prone. As the crab is huge, I'd give it advantage on said check.
Apr 28, 2017 7:51 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Just an early heads up: Gonna be mostly off-grid from Sunday to Wednesday. Please note that I am in the GMT+8 timezone. GM's feel free to move my characters along then. Cheers!
Hi everyone! Sorry for the extended absence. That was my first vacation in years! I'm back now, and looking forward to getting caught up with all my games. Cheers!
May 11, 2017 5:05 am
As posted in the Absences thread:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I'm already chest-deep in preps for Mother's Day weekend, which is traditionally an extremely busy time at the cake shop. I'll still pop up here and there but will be unreliable at best. So if I start holding things up please go ahead and move my PC's along. Thanks!
May 31, 2017 4:22 am
What's up? :-)
May 31, 2017 11:18 am
I've been trying to finish my PhD (and atm I am travelling, which is the occasion for poking my head into GP to see what's up).
May 31, 2017 11:36 am
Safe travels! And best of luck with the PhD! :-)
Jul 5, 2017 12:31 pm
Going to drop this for now. If something changes, re-invite me :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.